Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt squeal?

Hey guys about a week or so ago the alternator on my Formy went bad. I replaced it with a rebuilt unit and also replaced the belt with one of the Duralasts from Autozone while I was at it. After finishing I started it up and noticed a chirping sound which turns into a loud squeal or whistle as rpms go up. The sound lasts about 10 minutes or so and when the car gets good and hot it goes away. I figured before I really go crazy I would try another belt and I got one of the more expensive Dayco belts instead, didn't help. Next I replaced the tensioner pulley, sound still there. Next the idler pulley sound still there. At this point my only options are that either the rebuilt alternator has a bad bearing or maybe I should try another gatorback belt. Like an *** I threw my old one away as soon as I finished swapping alternators. Also I did run the car without the main belt to rule out the AC belt and tensioner. It is quiet without the main serpentine. Any suggestions will be appreciated. It's driving me ******* crazy and I would rather not swap alternators again. Thanks.