Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block powter coating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block powter coating?

Im fixin to get my ls6 block from the machine shop and I whant to powter coat it chevy orange like the lsx blocks. Im no powter coat expert but I belive they have to bake it after they spray it. So will this be alrite and not worp or mess anything up being aluminum? Does anyone have any experiance doing this?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

This is a good question.

What temp do they have to bake the powder coating on at? Is it enough to distort a block?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You should be safe, they have been powder coating aluminum blocks and heads for years, the only reccomendation i would have given you would have been to have it machined after the coating, just to be safe, but your past taht point already. I would verify with teh machine shop, but i don't think the powder coating oven will distort anything to mess up your machining. I just always coated then machined when i had stuff done.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Dam ur right should have done it befor machening. Ive read that they bake it at 350 for an hour prolly gunna rattle can it to be safe dont whant to get any in cylenders, oil galley or my mains.