Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Ceramic Shorty Headers and Magnaflow Heavy Metal Hi-Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock Ceramic Shorty Headers and Magnaflow Heavy Metal Hi-Flow Cats

I just purchased Edelbrock Ceramic coated shorty headers and Magnaflow Heavy Metal Hi-Flow cats to put on my 2000 Trans AM LS1. Yes I know I could have gotten more out of Long Tubes, but I am going more for sound over power cause I love this car and I baby it. I already have custom true duals on this car. We cut out the stock y-pipe that was half flattened from the factory on the drivers side and ran 2.5" pipe from the cats back to an X-pipe then out to 2 SLP Loudmouth I resonators then under the axels and out. Sounds great but not quite loud enough for my taste. I strongly believe that a true muscle car should be heard BEFORE its seen . My wife hates it but o well LOL. My question is this, did I waste my money or will I notice a good difference in sound and performance with these add ons or should I just send them back. Thanks in advance for the help and try not to bash on me to hard ;P!!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have read, not personal experience (I still have stock exhaust) you wasted your money. I remember reading that the 01-02 stock manifolds flow almost has well has shorty headers do. LT's will gove you everything you want louder/more performance about 20rwhp from what I have read. LT's are the route i'm taking when I decide to spend some more cash on the car.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea your right, 01-02 manifolds flow just about as good as shorties, your leaving alot of power on the table not going LT's. LS cars love em.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

But I have a 2000 not 01-02 manifolds so why wouldn't this be an improvement, just asking cause I honestly don't know.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

ill give you a good price on my 02 manifolds if you wanna return your shorties
Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

00 manifolds are the same as 01-02 with the exception of the EGR provision. They flow just as well.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well that sucks. I don't want to go LT cause of modifications having to be done, them getting in the way of the oil plug or overheating the oil filter, having to buy O2 extenders ect... So I guess I'm screwed and I'll send the headers back if there going to do absolutely no different over stock. Anyone have any thoughts on the high flow cats or should I not do those either and just send them back too!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I hesitated to go to LT's like you. But I tell you, the biggest problem I had - because of the brand that I chose - was getting them in. Once they're in, no problems with drain plugs, oil filters or anything else.

I'm guessing the cats you have are the kind meant to bolt up to stock manifolds. They flow better than stock, but they're probably not worth what you paid and they won't work with LT's. I'd send them back and plan to get them with the y-pipe you get with your LT's
Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I won't use the Y-pipe even if I went LT's. I cut the Y out a few years ago and put true duals with an X-pipe and 2 SLP Loudmouth I resonators on it. Will NEVER go back to a Y. And I only paid $75 a piece for the cats cause I have a hook-up at my local mechanic shop. They retail for $232 but he sells me some stuff at cost!! They are universals, not made specifically to hook up to stock manifold, rather to a custom system. Motor limit on these cats is 6.2L 6000Lbs. Also stock cats flow at about 600-800 particals these flow 400!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Teching In

I am about to purchase the same setup but not for the same reason as you but for the fact that my 2000 SS is lowered about 1 1/2 inches. I have talked you a ton of people on a ton of different forums and the don't all say the same things. Yes Long tubes will give you the BEST but shorties will change the sound and give a few more horses the the rear tires... not a ton but some.. also high flow cats will change the sound and give a little more power so if you put the two together you will see/feel a change but not as much as if you were to put long tubes and an ory on you car.

But let me know what you ended up doing because in less then a week I am ordering the same parts....

hope this helps
Old 03-07-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lehrman7556
I am about to purchase the same setup but not for the same reason as you but for the fact that my 2000 SS is lowered about 1 1/2 inches. I have talked you a ton of people on a ton of different forums and the don't all say the same things. Yes Long tubes will give you the BEST but shorties will change the sound and give a few more horses the the rear tires... not a ton but some.. also high flow cats will change the sound and give a little more power so if you put the two together you will see/feel a change but not as much as if you were to put long tubes and an ory on you car.

But let me know what you ended up doing because in less then a week I am ordering the same parts....

hope this helps
I ended up going with Ceramic coated Pacesetter LT's. Everyone on here convinced me to go LT for more power and WAY MORE sound. Get LT's, you can get Summit to price match. The shorties were 431 plus shipping, I sent them back and got the LT's ( original price from Summit 475) for 369. PM me if you want the link to the site with that price to get them to give you the same price as me. And there are plenty of people on here with lowered suspension that have LT's with no clearance issues.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Ceramic Shorty Headers and Magnaflow Heavy Metal Hi-Flow Cats