Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!

I know this is the "LS1" section but I cant get those pics posted....I wanted to see how you guys thought of my porting and polishing! I have been P+P TB's, polishing intakes, wheel lips etc.... Give me some honest opinions guys. I will post a few more pics once I figure out whats going on with my other pictures. This one is a 350Z drive by wire. Fully ported and half shafted etc
EDIT: Just to clarify, this is not a pathetically weak attempt to indirectly pimp my services! Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!-tb1.jpg   Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!-tb2.jpg  

Last edited by Texhotrod593; 12-02-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL

Looks like a pathetically weak attempt to indirectly pimp your services.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Damian
LOL

Looks like a pathetically weak attempt to indirectly pimp your services.
Thank you! I appreciate your opinion.....one more drop in the bank of your post quantity! Lucky for you "LOL"
I'm glad the "master of installing 3/4 race cams" give such encouraging words...again, thank you very much.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good ,
Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks really good, what last two grits you used before polishing?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by masterz28
looks really good, what last two grits you used before polishing?
used 250, 600, finishing with 800. I went with white rouge #4 light with a felt wheel first the went to a green bar rouge #5 high gloss with a woven cloth wheel to finish
Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texhotrod593
used 250, 600, finishing with 800. I went with white rouge #4 light with a felt wheel first the went to a green bar rouge #5 high gloss with a woven cloth wheel to finish
Cool thanks now I don't need your services any more.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by Texhotrod593
Thank you! I appreciate your opinion.....one more drop in the bank of your post quantity! Lucky for you "LOL"
I'm glad the "master of installing 3/4 race cams" give such encouraging words...again, thank you very much.
I don't post for quantity buddy.

Your work looks good. But going out of your way to mention "I do TBs, intakes, etc..." it's an obvious attempt to attract PM's asking you to port their stuff. I've been doing this a while man. I see through bullshit pretty easy.

But on a more positive note, your work looks good. One word of advice. Polishing to a mirror finish does absolutely no good, and can sometimes hurt power. I've ported about 200 TB's over the past few years and got a pretty good feel for what worked best. Hated doing it though. I'll never port another one as long as I live.

Last edited by Damian; 12-02-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't post for quantity buddy.

Your work looks good. But going out of your way to mention "I do TBs, intakes, etc..." it's an obvious attempt to attract PM's asking you to port their stuff. I've been doing this a while man. I see through bullshit pretty easy.

But on a more positive note, your work looks good. One word of advice. Polishing to a mirror finish does absolutely no good, and can sometimes hurt power. I've ported about 200 TB's over the past few years and got a pretty good feel for what worked best. Hated doing it though. I'll never port another one as long as I live.
Thanx for the reply buddy, but no bullshit here. I have done this 350z throttle body and evrything else lately for a friend. Hmmm, see through the bullshit? sounds like you are changing words around to make it seem like I am doing this attempt to get PM's for work so it can match your view of things. Look at what you wrote and what I did in the original post...^^^^My quote" I have been P+P TB's, polishing intakes, wheel lips etc". This is saying I have been doing these things but only have a picture of 1 item to show, so can "members" let me know what you think with this 1 item.
As for your honest words about the mirror finish hurting power, Thank you very much...seriously. That is a reply I was looking for to help me
Old 12-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Captain Double Post

Yeah you do some nice work,but I scratch my head at guys that spend close to 200 for work on there stock tb,I did mine with a few grits of sand paper a dremel,and a lil polish,it took me like 2 hours with the throttle stop mod etc,I also spent a lot of time polishing the outside,your work again looks great ,I polish pretty good but I will be hitting you with a pm for tips .
Old 12-03-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Yeah you do some nice work,but I scratch my head at guys that spend close to 200 for work on there stock tb,I did mine with a few grits of sand paper a dremel,and a lil polish,it took me like 2 hours with the throttle stop mod etc,I also spent a lot of time polishing the outside,your work again looks great ,I polish pretty good but I will be hitting you with a pm for tips .
Thanx for the words. As I posted above how I did it and what I used, it might help you with your polishing. Believe me man, if I had guys lining up to have me p+p their TB's for 200...I would be doing it constantly. An aftermarket 350z TB cost upwards of 200-250 when I ported this one for half that price That would be insane for me to charge something like 200. They would be better off getting the new aftermarket one. This certain 350z TB, the guy wanted very nice so I spent a little extra time on it.It took me close to 4hrs total to complete this job from start to finish. But yeah I dont mind helping anyone out for tips if anyone wants them.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Looks good.. Now I just have to do my truck TB, but I can't find my dremel for the life of me.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

One word of advice. Polishing to a mirror finish does absolutely no good, and can sometimes hurt power.

Curious how does it hurt the power? I bought a P&P TB from a buddy and put it on and felt the throttle response.. Gave it a shot @ P&P my stocker and almost got it to a mirror finish but after reading some of the grits people stopped at I think I overkilled mine.. I started at I think 2xx? and worked up to 2000
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 AM
LSX Mechanic

As for your honest words about the mirror finish hurting power, Thank you very much...seriously. That is a reply I was looking for to help me
No problem. Yes the mirror finish can actually cause turbulence or make the air "tumble". Very fine cuts in the metal are actually a good thing, it helps direct the air in one direction. Check out the most reputable head porters and looks @ pics of their stuff. None of it is mirror polished. There is a reason for that.

Curious how does it hurt the power? I bought a P&P TB from a buddy and put it on and felt the throttle response.. Gave it a shot @ P&P my stocker and almost got it to a mirror finish but after reading some of the grits people stopped at I think I overkilled mine.. I started at I think 2xx? and worked up to 2000
See above. The mirror looks pretty, but it's not function. More of a "feel good" thing.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Captain Double Post

Let's see some more pics of your work,
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you look inside of a cnc'd cylinder head's intake runner, some of them will actually have some ridges or "ribs" going down it. I know for a fact Patriot performance have done this on some if not all of their LSX heads. This actually causes the air to break up some which in turns helps with fuel/air atomization. When the the fuel and air mixes is where you want good atomization. This is why I respectfully disagree in Damion's reply. Smooth pipe for your "cold air intake" is fine to be completely smooth because the airflow should be direct flow WITHOUT any interruptions. It can be smooth here because there is no need for good atomization because you are not introducing fuel there at this point. I have a high gloss finish all the way up to the throttle blade so there will be NO interruptions in airflow. This is also why you take the big "humps" and "ridges" out. Now I should take pics of the same TB behind the throttle blade to show that i have smoothed it but left a type of swirl effect there to help "tumble" the air into the intake for better atomization because this is where the fuel and air will start mixing. I hope this all makes sense. Now I will agree you DO NOT want ultra smooth intake runners etc.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Makes perfect sense Post up the pics behind the blade. I am P&P my buddies TB and curious how yours look behind it. Do you take out the blade and put it back in? Or port it with it still in.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
Makes perfect sense Post up the pics behind the blade. I am P&P my buddies TB and curious how yours look behind it. Do you take out the blade and put it back in? Or port it with it still in.
I take a marker and run it around the blade before removing it so I know where to stop. I am at a friends house right now....when I get home I will take pics of it.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
Sorry it took so long man>>> Here is some pics behind it and some polish pics of the blade
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!-tb3.jpg   Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!-tb4.jpg   Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!-tb5.jpg   Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!-tb6.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Captain Double Post

Took some of your tips and started polishing my exhaust only did a lil piece of it but it came out pretty good still need to hit it one last time before