Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another thermostat question

well a few I guess, I've been reading up on them but still have questions. First is, if i get a 160 thermostat do i need it tuned for the fans to come on earlier? or can i get away with getting a manual switch for it like the one slp offers for sitting in traffic situations. When driving will the airflow be enough to make the thermostat worth it? or just get it tuned?

Also a 160 stat during winter, will it make a difference as far as the car warming up? I know some people will switch thermostats from summer to winter.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know y you want a 160 stat, the LS1 is an aluminum block made to run around 200* and transfers heat very well. if you hare having overheating problems it is not your thermostat, you have bigger issues. i have seen a completely stock LS1 cooling system easily cool and 402 stroker in Cali with a stock style water pump and A/C hooked up. there is no reason for a 160 stat, if anything a 180 stat and a re-tune for your cooling fans. unless you have a race motor, the cooler motor will not make a difference, if anything it will shorten the life of your engine due to excessive wear. if parts are not hot enough then they will not operate as smooth causing pre-mature failure.

To answer your question, in the winter the car will heat up just fine till 160, then take a little longer (maybe alot longer depending on how cold it is) to hear up to operating range. then if your fans are not re-tuned then they will kick on at the same time and regulate the temp in the same range. so unless you are doing some autocross then there is not reason for a 160 stat. waste of money.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

thanks, isn't the stock thermostat 195? or 185?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

I run a 180 stat year round and it gets HOT here. If I had a choice I would run a 160 during the summer, but I guess im just too lazy to swap them every year. With a 160 stat the lowest temp I saw driving was 172 - 174 degrees. A lower thermostat is not going to cause excessive wear on you motor. The hotter an engine runs the more metal fatigue you have, so the more wear. You wont gain any horsepower and may loose a little fuel economy with the cooler stat, especially if its cold outside. If you live in mostly normal or cold weather, not triple digit ****, I dont see any reason to run a 160. Stocker is 187.