Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The quality of Hooker products: Where did it go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thumbs down The quality of Hooker products: Where did it go?

If anyone searches through the archives, you'll find that I've always been a HUGE supporter of Hooker, namely the Aerochamber catback. I've been pushing that catback for 10 years.

However, as of late I'm extremely disappointed with their drop in quality. Just within the last 6 months I've had 2 Hooker mufflers fall apart on the inside, and now they're shipping catbacks without flared ends on the over-axle pipe?!? I'm not sure how Hooker expects people to install the catback when both mating pipes are the same size.

From what I understand, Hooker was bought out by Holley. This could be the issue, who knows. Either way, I'm sending out a courtesy warning about Hooker products from now on. Hopefully somebody from their team will see it and make a change. If not, at the very least I would look elsewhere for a catback from now on. Especially since there is about to be a price increase on that CB. Good idea, lets drop build quality and increase the price.

Over and out.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its been a solid 10+ years or so since Holley bought Hooker

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

There has been a massive consolidation in the performance aftermarket. It is amazing to me how many companies that Holley and Edelbrock own. It does not appear that these acquisitions have been good for these companies products or customer services to me. However, it is likely that if some of these companies had not been absorbed, they may not exist at all anymore. I guess we have to decide if that is a good thing or not.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 AM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Its been a solid 10+ years or so since Holley bought Hooker
Well I guess I'm late to the party on that.

Maybe they're contracting 12 yr old Chinese kids overseas to build their stuff now?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Damian
Well I guess I'm late to the party on that.

Maybe they're contracting 12 yr old Chinese kids overseas to build their stuff now?
LOL! As an American, I could not help but laugh at the irony of Mexican workers losing jobs to China.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:03 AM
LSX Mechanic

I laugh too, but it's sad. And it's happening everywhere. Even my newest Snap-on tools aren't built like they used to be. I've broken more Snap-on in the past 2 yrs than I ever did 10 years ago. Makes you wonder....It's the American way now. Maximize profit by manufacturing overseas and f-ck over the customer.

I just want to know which idiot thought it was a good idea to quit flaring the over-axle pipe. Now you cannot even install the catback without first taking the pipe to an exhaust shop to flare it.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Old School Heavy

I just want to know which idiot thought it was a good idea to quit flaring the over-axle pipe. Now you cannot even install the catback without first taking the pipe to an exhaust shop to flare it.
Sounds like a great opportunity for customer feedback. If you like the systems and want to see them return to their former glory, then the onus is now on you to work with the manufacturer to help get them back on track.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone searches through the archives, you'll find that I've always been a HUGE supporter of Hooker, namely the Aerochamber catback. I've been pushing that catback for 10 years.

However, as of late I'm extremely disappointed with their drop in quality. Just within the last 6 months I've had 2 Hooker mufflers fall apart on the inside, and now they're shipping catbacks without flared ends on the over-axle pipe?!? I'm not sure how Hooker expects people to install the catback when both mating pipes are the same size.

From what I understand, Hooker was bought out by Holley. This could be the issue, who knows. Either way, I'm sending out a courtesy warning about Hooker products from now on. Hopefully somebody from their team will see it and make a change. If not, at the very least I would look elsewhere for a catback from now on. Especially since there is about to be a price increase on that CB. Good idea, lets drop build quality and increase the price.

Over and out.
have you contacted them on this issue. while i have never used there catbacks, there headers where a good quality piece.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
LSX Mechanic

Yep. They've been contacted. They've already had to send me 2 new mufflers in the past 6 months because the baffles are falling apart. I can't be the only one this is happening to so it must be a known issue at this point.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes we have had some problems as well since they moved their production back to mississippi from mexico. We are good friends with a couple of their sales guys and they are fully aware of what is going on with some of the ls stuff. we sell alot of hooker product and they are always quick to take care of us.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I've said the same thing about the over the axle pipe.. As I recall everybody on here was calling me a noob, didn't know what I was doing, take it someware.. Maybe ppl will listen to a rrespected member...
Old 12-07-2010, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

I can't edit post on iPod.. Anyways.. With the extra 100$ I paid to have a shop to take it all off expand the OTA pipe and put it all back on i could have got borla or the like.. Tried to save some cash and got screwed.. I did however purchase a set of ther offroad ceramic coated headers from there " scratch n dent" department and the quality is excelent .. Even came with o2 extensions
Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ta420nk
I can't edit post on iPod.. Anyways.. With the extra 100$ I paid to have a shop to take it all off expand the OTA pipe and put it all back on i could have got borla or the like.. Tried to save some cash and got screwed.. I did however purchase a set of ther offroad ceramic coated headers from there " scratch n dent" department and the quality is excelent .. Even came with o2 extensions
Next time call the supplier and or manufacturer and explain your situation. If you are good at negotiating, you just might be able to have them pay for the flaring of the inlet.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm starting to dislike hooker cb's as well cause at the beginning of the year I brought their catback brand new then 4 months later the muffler started making a metallic rattling sound so I brought another muffler and right now it's making the same sound. I won't buy another one!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

**** like is why american corp. have failed and are failing.

greed, arrogance and stupidity. profit over quality appears to be an american practice alot lately.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Launching!

My catback I bought about a year ago had major fitment issues.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

It's the American way now. Maximize profit by manufacturing overseas and f-ck over the customer.
You need to get on the grand scale dude, it's not ******* over the customer, it's ******* over our entire country's economy

But honestly, I think you may be jumping the gun here. They only tack weld baffles inside mufflers, and especially when cars sit for extended periods, condensation forms and the tacks rust and then vibration breaks them. In a daily driven car it shouldn't be a problem, but in a performance car that might not see daily use and in a hot and humid climate (dirty south) well there ya go. As for the pipe flare, well thats a matter of opinion. I do not have slip fits coming off my headers, never have, and I don't mind one bit. Never any yanking or tugging to seperate pipes. I run stainless band clamps in a butt-connection style and it works like a champ. While this may not be the best for the masses, nothing is stopping you from running this connector as opposed to "going to the muffler shop" before installing the catback.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

Butt connection on a ota pipe.. No I'd rather not.. If you're going to do something half-assed then y even bother.. That's something a ricer would do.. Buttjoint .. lol seriously.. headers fine, Y pipe to I pipe fine but otap not a chance
Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but with hangers on the Y and on the muffler and tips there won't be any stress on that joint. And a butt connection wont budge an inch under those conditions
Old 12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ he works for hooker lol

Quick Reply: The quality of Hooker products: Where did it go?