Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad alternator? or just wet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default bad alternator? or just wet?

Recently my alternator got wet, and when the car was idling the voltage would max out and stay there.. waited a few days for it to dry up and it got better, but the voltage is now going bak and forth between about 13 and 16, and so my lights are basically pulsing in brightness. Took the alternator to autozone and it passed all 3 tests twice. Is it maybe a bad oltage regulator or should I just wait for it to dry more?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well the regulator is inside the alternator id say the alternator is shorting and overcharging at some points did u check and make sure the wire that gets plugged in on the top is ok as thats what determines how much it charges
Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it to a rewinding shop...got mine rebuilt for $75 with year warranty...
Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bill12690
Recently my alternator got wet, and when the car was idling the voltage would max out and stay there.. waited a few days for it to dry up and it got better, but the voltage is now going bak and forth between about 13 and 16, and so my lights are basically pulsing in brightness. Took the alternator to autozone and it passed all 3 tests twice. Is it maybe a bad oltage regulator or should I just wait for it to dry more?
had the same exact problem, it went away eventually but now I get a annoying humming sound from the radio and the alternator chirps when cold.

Quick Reply: bad alternator? or just wet?