Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am looking for a higher exhaust pitch. What are my options.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am looking for a higher exhaust pitch. What are my options.

I've made the move to California. Here, I miss the Aston (my son kept it/I gave it to him, one or the other depending on who you ask), but trust me, where I live, it shocks the hell out of people to see a Camaro going into the garage and its pretty fun. Here is the deal. I do like the sweet baritone sound of a true dual setup with big pipes, but with my need to pass a sniffer and visual on the cats, I have a full exhaust on the car with a Magnaflow catback. I figure a bullet, perhaps spiral, in the I pipe (I think I saw someone running that setup) might bring the sound higher. I want the exotic sound of Aston, but the raw feel of the Camaro.

I know this is a really weird request and probably is impossible, but if anyone knows how to go about it, get this over with and HELP!

Sorry, I know really nothing about exhaust sound except that my true duals were too loud, and while the baritone note was awesome, I'd like the exotic note back. I know it is impossible to match the 12 sound with an 8, but I'd like to come close. My wife wants another Aston, but I love driving the Camaro and this might help compromise???

Thanks guys.

Last edited by gmcamaro74; 12-13-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HUH? are you sure you know where you are?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get one of those sound machines on eBay that allows you to have your car sound like you want........lol.

I've heard Corsa is higher-pitched compared to other aftermarket catbacks for our cars.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:45 PM

I'll get another amp and face the speakers at the exhaust. Not bad, hmmm. This has been a big fight. I might just garage the Camaro. It is fun because I built it with my son. She wants me to sell the xlr and get her an R8. I guess I take the XLR?

Remember, I didn't have money when I bought the Camaro. That makes me want to keep it. I don't fit in here with all of the Porsches and BMWs or the people who drive them. These guys suck. I suppose I'll stick with what I've got, add an inline muffler and a cutout for coastal run with the tops off.

Screw it. No higher pitched exhaust!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM

On the other hand, is there a street legal way to drop an ls9 in the XLR in California? That is probably for another forum, but any thought in here?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Since your in Cali you really can't mess with it too much. A Corsa catback might be for you.

When my electric cutout is open it has a nice high pitch roar at WOT. That might be another option.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to hear an exotic/high pitch LS1 then check out the corsa pacecar system for corvettes. I heard one once and thought it was a bike!... then I thought, no, Italian super car...? Just a corvette. Not sure if that helps, but you might look into finding out more about the mufflers they use and how to retrofit them onto a TD Fbody setup.

Let us know if you succeed.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

corsa CB. but it's expensive. have you searched youtube or ls1 sounds?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

corsa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZusnMHZaO8

corsa drive by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtS0r...eature=related

borla xr1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4M4VolTGfU

borla xr1 drive off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczwg...eature=related

let me know if these are close. and if not i'll see what else i can dig up.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

I have long tubes offroad y pipe and the loud mouth 2 and I think it sounds very fast loud and raspy and kinda higher pitched its not the clasic v8 sound to me I like it but then I wished I had the mustang flowmaster sound wich is slower and deeper. I also wanted a higher pitched f1 sound which can be done by 8 into 1 headers I've heard in ls1 sandrails. I believe if I put a supertrap muffler or muffler tips right where the two banks collect I might get that f1 sound but it would be too loud?
When I go underpasses or tunnels my car does sound crazy insane ! Can somebody post a link to that. Corvette system that sounds like a street bike? Also there was an ls1 camaro or transam with a european exhaust on u tube I can't remember and it sounded faster and higher pitched. What brand kresieg or toobey lol
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XklxxE9a00E
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're never going to get an LS motor to sound like an Aston, single cam LS1 against a Quad cam Aston!!!! never happen.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^ew.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ x2
Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by motorsports601
Can somebody post a link to that Corvette system that sounds like a street bike?
http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html

Hold your mouse over the numbers for the system on the right. I'm pretty sure I've heard this system in person and it sounded awesome.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

soooo how exactly are you going to get a corvette cat back to fit on a camaro?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Your guess is as good as mine. I just wanted to show that an LS1 can sound like a formula 1 car. You might be able to fab up some kind of true dual setup with full size corsa mufflers but I'd say you'd be better off picking up a used vette, lol. Floor pans and the exhaust route has a lot to do with the sound. I believe ford has put a lot of r/d in floor pan design on about every model mustang after the fox body just to keep the fox sound.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Your guess is as good as mine. I just wanted to show that an LS1 can sound like a formula 1 car. You might be able to fab up some kind of true dual setup with full size corsa mufflers but I'd say you'd be better off picking up a used vette, lol. Floor pans and the exhaust route has a lot to do with the sound. I believe ford has put a lot of r/d in floor pan design on about every model mustang after the fox body just to keep the fox sound.
yeah your right, the nature/build of the f-body doesn't really allow for a corvette sound. even x-pipe for x-pipe, an ls1 vette vs an ls1 f-body will sound night and day different. but if you look at the header design, x-pipe design, the shape of the belly of the car, the muffler design etc it's easy to see why. THEN throw on top of that you are having to work with a y-pipe(in most cases)and it's a no brainer. y-pipe set ups have a unique sound and it's very hard to change that sound just by changing what cat back you have. for me to get my desired sound i had to weld in a 4" merge and hack up the mufflex catback.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by motorsports601
I have long tubes offroad y pipe and the loud mouth 2 and I think it sounds very fast loud and raspy and kinda higher pitched its not the clasic v8 sound to me I like it but then I wished I had the mustang flowmaster sound wich is slower and deeper. I also wanted a higher pitched f1 sound which can be done by 8 into 1 headers I've heard in ls1 sandrails. I believe if I put a supertrap muffler or muffler tips right where the two banks collect I might get that f1 sound but it would be too loud?
When I go underpasses or tunnels my car does sound crazy insane ! Can somebody post a link to that. Corvette system that sounds like a street bike? Also there was an ls1 camaro or transam with a european exhaust on u tube I can't remember and it sounded faster and higher pitched. What brand kresieg or toobey lol

Tubi is the one your thinking of, VERY rare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yIMNqXGlHI
Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved the sound of the borla stinger catback on my buddys corvette. His car had the cartek stage 2 heads/cam package, and kooks longtube headers, offroad x-pipe (3" collectors in/2.5" out of the X), and the stinger catback. It sounded very deep and throaty at idle, but got indy car high pitched under WOT - sounded unreal. So when I bought my '02 zo6 that had LG longtubes and an offroad x-pipe on it when I bought it, I put on the borla stinger catback hoping for that sound. I didn't quite achieve it. Sounded similar at idle tone-wise (stock cam in my car so not as good sounding) and it didn't really scream up top like his did. I think his had more of the higher pitched scream up top because he was turning 6700rpm and the exhaust gas velocity was much faster than my more stockish car. Overall the tone was the same though. I think a lot of it has to do with the use of all stainless materials on the corvette exhausts - most aftermarket headers are stainless, all the way to the catbacks. This gives them more of the metallic tinny undertone to the note. I know this because I built an exhaust using the Borla S mufflers (the ones used on the Stinger catback on the vettes) on my heads/cam '98 z28. It sounded a lot like the zo6 I had, but not quite the same scream at WOT I was looking for, and not as refined sounding because I used aluminized steel pipes in the system instead of stainless.

Quick Reply: I am looking for a higher exhaust pitch. What are my options.