Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with next mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some help with next mods

I am alittle confused on what mods I should do next. I have decided to just do bolt ons and be done with it. I dont have the time or money to do internals because of school. Not looking for anything over 360rwh.

Current mods
Slp lid w/ K&n's
Long tube headers
TSP Y pipe w/ high flow cats
40 Series muffler welded in the stock ws6 catback

Next I was thinking an Ls6 intake, or a fast. Cant decide.
I also cant decide if I should do a full 3" catback or just get a cut out.

Any input would help.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are not going internal dont bother with fast..it shows better gains with cam so id stick to LS6 intake. going to 3" catback is a waste of time, get a 4" Y merge with 4" cutout then reduce it to your flowmaster. am in the same situation you are in. good luck.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd tell ya to put the car on a dyno right now. With your current mods you're close to your 360 rwhp goal. If not you're a catback and tune away. Is it an A4 or M6?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Captain Double Post

For sure go with the ls6 intake,you should be pretty close to where you wanna be,are you an auto or m6,gotta give those details ,
Old 12-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Captain Double Post

I know when my car was just bolt ons the tune really made a diffrence,
Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

well, I would do an ls6 intake next for sure. My car made the numbers in sig with some boltons.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dont get a fast its over kill for what you want to do. Buy an Ls6 intake that well net you an extra 10-12 wrhp and if you have time and can do it yourself port and polish your tb that will give you anywhere from 2-5wrhp and its free and if you want buy a nitrous system and get it tunned then your hp will be decided by what jet you run.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:01 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would just do the LS6 intake with the cut-out. The cutout will bypass that 40 series muffler and should pick up a noticeable amount of power. There would be no need for a FAST because you don't have heads and cam yet. Get the car tuned and you should be in a good spot!
Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Edit- Its a 6 speed car btw

Okay ill go with the LS6. I had a feeling the fast was too much, but they sure do look awesome.

If I got the cut out how loud would it be? Louder than any cat back I would guess.

thanks for all the response
Old 12-16-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I am alittle confused on what mods I should do next. I have decided to just do bolt ons and be done with it. I dont have the time or money to do internals because of school. Not looking for anything over 360rwh.

Current mods
Slp lid w/ K&n's
Long tube headers
TSP Y pipe w/ high flow cats
40 Series muffler welded in the stock ws6 catback

Next I was thinking an Ls6 intake, or a fast. Cant decide.
I also cant decide if I should do a full 3" catback or just get a cut out.

Any input would help.
i would say get rid of that stock crap back, maybe for something like borla, magnaflow, mufflex etc. yes the 4" systems are good but i wouldn't go any bigger than a 3.5" since you are bolt ons only. also a fm merge should be something you look into for sure.

if i were you i'de do:
mufflex 3.5" cb
flowmaster 3" to 3.5" merge
3.5" cut out in the i-pipe
descreened MAF
ported tb
smooth bellow
u/d pulley
electric water pump

and of course tires, suspension, clutch/stall, gears etc are all worth while mods but that's for a different section.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

LS6>fast for your setup
Old 12-16-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
i would say get rid of that stock crap back, maybe for something like borla, magnaflow, mufflex etc. yes the 4" systems are good but i wouldn't go any bigger than a 3.5" since you are bolt ons only. also a fm merge should be something you look into for sure.

if i were you i'de do:
mufflex 3.5" cb
flowmaster 3" to 3.5" merge
3.5" cut out in the i-pipe
descreened MAF
ported tb
smooth bellow
u/d pulley
electric water pump

and of course tires, suspension, clutch/stall, gears etc are all worth while mods but that's for a different section.
Right now I only have enough cash to do the intake and cut out. Or just the cat back. If I did the cut out now would it be a pain to install a new cat back later on down the road? I see most people doing the catback first then doing a cut out.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Right now I only have enough cash to do the intake and cut out. Or just the cat back. If I did the cut out now would it be a pain to install a new cat back later on down the road? I see most people doing the catback first then doing a cut out.
well keep that list i made in the back of your head and save up.

and to answer your question no a cut out will not hinder your ability to install a cat back later on. that being said i think you should do cat back first.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I would just do a catback. Depending on your budget you could go with Borla or on a budget the Hooker catback sounds decent. Pass on flowmaster
Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Captain Double Post

Ls6 intake,tune,cat back, and throw a set of gears in there and I think you will be happy for awhile,just would go a lil easy on the hard launches 10 bolt can fail with even stock power,
Old 02-04-2011, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Default Just an update

Well everyone I have decided to get the LS6 intake for sure but I still cannot decide on an exhaust. I think I still have the 2.75 piping but Im not 100% sure. I am leaning towards getting a cut out because I like how deep and mean the 40 series muffler sounds. Maybe I could just get a 3" I pipe and have the cut out installed there? Im torn between the lm1 and the cut out. I love loud cars but im not sure if lm1 would annoy me. At least with the cut out I could close it and still bring my car to work with out pissing everyone off hahaa