Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question to those who have LM1 + LT's w/ CATTED Y

Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question to those who have LM1 + LT's w/ CATTED Y

I really want to run a loudmouth with long tubes and a catted Y pipe. However around my town I will need to keep it "somewhat" quiet. My question is can this exhaust with cats be controlled? Say at idle and driving around in 4th gear?

Last edited by MikeWS6; 12-26-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Captain Double Post

Get a lm1 run cats and swap out the lm1 resonator for a magnaflow will still be loud though,
Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Captain Double Post

If your not doing a cam you can somewhat controll it but when I put my ms4 in there was no trying to sneak down the street,
Old 12-17-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ditch the cats and just do a magnaflow cb. or a borlamouth.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

I need to run cats for emissions. Just wanted to make sure its controllable at idle. I think I just going to flip a coin. Either LM1 or LM2 I cant decide.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

whay do u say u NEED cats? you do know there are ways around it right?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually doing the same mod soon... I currently have the SLP Loudmouth resonator on my factory SLP CME... soon to have SLP Longtubes (new style) and their Y-pipe with high-flow cats installed.

From what I'm told, LM + LTs + ORY = ultra raspy; however, the cats muffle it A LOT. So I'm going to go for it. Hopefully I can order the parts and get them installed by March or so.

If it ends up being to raspy or similar, I could always swap the LM1 resonator for the LM2.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Captain Double Post

My set up was ms4 cam,longtubes,ort,slp lm1,was very loud a lot of drone and rasp,but I never got more props on any other exhaust I have had,sounded great outside the car but was loud,I really liked the lm1 but it was like driving around with open headers,I agree you should ditch the cats,as brian said there are ways around it,but the cats would help with some of the rasp but its a raspy catback,look into some of the sound clips of the borlamouth,and magnamouth,there still loud but imho sound way better than any lm1,lm2 there is a pretty good clip on youtube of the mmouth,its under camaro sound clip its the red z28,I would post it but don't know how on my phone,
Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Captain Double Post

^ory my bad,also detox has a good clip of the borla mouth on youtube,like I said I liked the lm1 but having a car that loud all the time gets old,
Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
I'm actually doing the same mod soon... I currently have the SLP Loudmouth resonator on my factory SLP CME... soon to have SLP Longtubes (new style) and their Y-pipe with high-flow cats installed.

From what I'm told, LM + LTs + ORY = ultra raspy; however, the cats muffle it A LOT. So I'm going to go for it. Hopefully I can order the parts and get them installed by March or so.

If it ends up being to raspy or similar, I could always swap the LM1 resonator for the LM2.

I was told the LM2 is actually just as loud as the LM1. Its just not as raspy. Not sure if it is true though.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

yeah that's not true. they are both raspy.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

My setup (see my signature) is loud.

Its been on the car for over a year and a half and I STILL haven't had the chance to hear it outside the car when being driven. So I'm not much help there.

At idle on a cold start up, its freakin' pretty loud. Once its warmed up, its not so bad, but when you get on it, make no mistake, its the end of the world.

As for driving around town at part throttle, its definitely livable while inside the car, but, as I said, I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing it while outside yet.

If you'd like to hear my car checkout Cottonwood121 on YouTube.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mumbles
My setup (see my signature) is loud.

Its been on the car for over a year and a half and I STILL haven't had the chance to hear it outside the car when being driven. So I'm not much help there.

At idle on a cold start up, its freakin' pretty loud. Once its warmed up, its not so bad, but when you get on it, make no mistake, its the end of the world.

As for driving around town at part throttle, its definitely livable while inside the car, but, as I said, I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing it while outside yet.

If you'd like to hear my car checkout Cottonwood121 on YouTube.
Wow that sounds sick. Do you have any drive by vids?
Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

My wife's car had a 231/237, SLP (Old) Long tubes, Catted Y and LM1, and it was raspy and droned inside quite a bit driving normally. We switched out the LM1 with a Magnaflow catback and couldnt be any happier! The rasp and drone are gone, and it quieted it down alot. Its so much nicer to road trip in now, and when you get on it, it gets pretty loud, but sounds great IMHO.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Had that exact same setup. I liked it a lot when I was stock internals, but it was a bit too much after the cam swap. Here's a vid from a couple years back when I was still SI...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq2EFzINf6I

...it was kind of raspy, but not bad at all. It was also pretty easy to keep it quiet if you wanted to. I'll have to upload a video after the cam swap.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula_LS1
Had that exact same setup. I liked it a lot when I was stock internals, but it was a bit too much after the cam swap. Here's a vid from a couple years back when I was still SI...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq2EFzINf6I

...it was kind of raspy, but not bad at all. It was also pretty easy to keep it quiet if you wanted to. I'll have to upload a video after the cam swap.
That doesnt sound too loud at all.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
That doesnt sound too loud at all.
Yea wasn't bad at all. Uploaded a video after the cam swap...it's just an idle vid, but you can hear the difference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNvguORrQW8
Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Yea wasn't bad at all. Uploaded a video after the cam swap...it's just an idle vid, but you can hear the difference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNvguORrQW8
Seems like the cats really kill alot of the rasp.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Wow that sounds sick. Do you have any drive by vids?
No. Damnit!

I've been meaning to get that done for as long as the exhaust has been on the car, but I just haven't made the time nor gathered the wife/friend/brother to shoot some video of the car in motion.

I'm very curious to hear it myself from outside the car. Some day. I promise.

What are the specs on the cam you're running in this video?

You're correct when you say its louder, and it goes without saying you notice it has a cam, but its not nearly as loud as everyone makes it out to be. Maybe its more overpowering in person. (Damn computer speakers anyways.) I could live with the noise in the video.

Thanks for posting up and BTW, nice ride.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

I think I am going to run Long tube headers to loudmouth 1 with the TSP CATTED Y pipe. Hopefully I can keep it quiet when I need to since I got an m6. I guess if its too loud I can always buy a lm2 muffler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question to those who have LM1 + LT's w/ CATTED Y