Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker catback question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker catback question

This may have been covered before, but I couldn't find it in any searches.

I'm about to take a chance and order the Hooker catback for my car. I know about the recent quality issues with Hooker products, but it's the only catback that, in my opinion, sounds good with OR Y and LTs. Anyway, I don't like the dual-dual tips that ship with the Hooker system. What size inlet do I need on new tips? I really like the Mecham power oval tips, but they have 3" inlets.

Also, has anyone ordered a Hooker catback lately and been pleased with the quality and fitment?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Just installed mine about 2 wks. ago. Fitment was very bad, and plan on do alot of modifications to make it fit. But it does sound great when done. Maybe yours will have a slip fit on the over the axel pipe.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am surprised alot of people having issues with the quality with hooker. If i were in the market for a catback, i definitley would get hooker. it sounds good.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BRIAN P
Just installed mine about 2 wks. ago. Fitment was very bad, and plan on do alot of modifications to make it fit. But it does sound great when done. Maybe yours will have a slip fit on the over the axel pipe.
Wow. It's crazy that it would get past QC without the pipe ends flared. The ends are supposed to be flared, right?
Old 01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I did the following on my 01 T/A and it was cheaper than buying the catback and no fitment hassles: Order Dynomax I and over-the-axle pipes from Summit, and the Hooker 3"/2.5" f-body Aerochamber muffler only from a sponsor. Take it to an exhaust shop. They will have to cut off the flange on the muffler and weld up the OTA pipe and fab up some tail pipes. Select some tips you like and you're done.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Damn I heard my buddies hooker and fell in love, I pulled the trigger and just bought one. I haven't installed yet and I barely took it out the box the check the size difference from the I-pipe to the Y-pipe and it it alot bigger. I'll have to check my OTA pipes to make sure I didn't also get a bad one...Sorry to hear about your guys bad luck!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1CALIBOY
Damn I heard my buddies hooker and fell in love, I pulled the trigger and just bought one. I haven't installed yet and I barely took it out the box the check the size difference from the I-pipe to the Y-pipe and it it alot bigger. I'll have to check my OTA pipes to make sure I didn't also get a bad one...Sorry to hear about your guys bad luck!
Keep us posted on the install man. I was going to order a hooker system over winter. But this and another thread about hooker quality is making me rethink my choice, which is too bad cause I really liked the sound clips I've heard
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help fellas, but I decided to go ahead with a true dual setup from tsp instead with spiral flows. It makes the most sense from a power and $$$ perspective. If I don't like the exhaust dumped, I'll pay a shop to fab it up the rest of the way out the back.

I ordered my exhaust today and am impatiently awaiting it's arrival.