Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running with no thermostat...good/bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running with no thermostat...good/bad?

had some overheating isses. my thermostat was not opening. and i have a custom welded thermostat housing for my rx7. could running with no thermo work ok? or could it run hotter/cooler then it should? if i should put one in, do they sell one that is not integrated into the housing?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends on the weather, but you will be fine in warm weather now if your in cold *** weather like i am right now you might have problems with the car getting to operating temp. and they do sell thermostats without the housing
Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't! ... I remember my dad telling me "if it's 110 out, take it out!"... But that was in a 30+ year old 350 SB in my 68 Firebird. ... With a modern LS motor, I'm not sure cut'n that lil $30-$40 corner is a good idea. ... Just my .02
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Running no t-stat will cause coolant to cycle through the radiator too quickly to exchange the heat so you'll run hotter. Some racers use a restricter in place of the t-stat, takes some trial and error to get right. It's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing either, you cant run the same restricter year round. A properly functioning system is better

Problems with air in the system, drill a 1/8" hole in the t-stat to prevent an air tight seal. Leave the steam line under the intake unhooked until a steady stream of coolant comes out

Make sure your radiator is up to the task. Next, be sure the fans are operating properly and the air dam is in place. Alternately the front opening may be blocked partially
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran my older V6 with no thermostat for 3 years lol cant be happier. altho temp is really high where i live so it doesnt matter. mostly thermostat regulates your car temp and make it reach to operating temperature faster. by removing you will have no optimum temperature and car will def. run coolder.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
i ran my older V6 with no thermostat for 3 years lol cant be happier. altho temp is really high where i live so it doesnt matter. mostly thermostat regulates your car temp and make it reach to operating temperature faster. by removing you will have no optimum temperature and car will def. run coolder.
I have heard that no t-stat will make it run too cool and wash the rings causing blow by and oil consumption, but ???
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I have heard that no t-stat will make it run too cool and wash the rings causing blow by and oil consumption, but ???
it doesn't run too cool, it takes way longer to warm up (and may eventually overheat), beating on it while cold will cause problems. c'mon on guys there's a reason we have a t-stat....
Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
on a 45C summer days no i dont think so.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By not running a thermostat you do run the risk of overheating, since like stated above, the coolant doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to dissipate the heat. On our dyno test engines, we block the thermostats open, but we also use a control valve to control the flow restriction through the engine/radiator to control coolant temps.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Its bad plain and simple. These engines are designed to run at least 190 to burn off moisture in the system. So running no t stat is bad.

Quick Reply: running with no thermostat...good/bad?