Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extending Engine Wire Harness Question. ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Extending Engine Wire Harness Question. ...

Hey everyone!
... So I did a search but I didn't get what I needed so here's the post.

I need to extend my wire harness in my engine bay to clear the headers on my passenger side.

Here's the question. Can I use 18 Gauge Speaker Wire for the extension? Or is there a specific wire(s) I need for this. This is the same 18 Gauge Speaker Wire I used for my Passkey Bypass MOD but I wanted to ask someone more knowledgeable before I started to cut & solder my harness.

Here's the part of the harness I would like to extend. You'll understand why I WANT to extend it after seeing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Fu3...e_gdata_player
Old 01-02-2011, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which headers are they, true long tubes or tuned lenght. might are the true long tubes and i had no probs
Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thegroup
which headers are they, true long tubes or tuned lenght. might are the true long tubes and i had no probs
Well, "Tuned Length" and "True" Long Tubes are one in the same. But yes, I have SLP "TL" Headers (original SLP speed-bump scrapers!). I've had them in for years but recently have noticed after THIS new motor went in that they're closer than I'd care for. I want to re-rout them so they're no where within 6" of the Headers. I tried to get a lil slack out of the harness but to no avail.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With as cheap as a roll of regular wire is, I would go buy some. Speaker wire insulation isn't as tough as regular wire insulation. I don't think the speaker wire would hold up well in the engine bay and definitely not anywhere near the headers.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Well, "Tuned Length" and "True" Long Tubes are one in the same. But yes, I have SLP "TL" Headers (original SLP speed-bump scrapers!). I've had them in for years but recently have noticed after THIS new motor went in that they're closer than I'd care for. I want to re-rout them so they're no where within 6" of the Headers. I tried to get a lil slack out of the harness but to no avail.
not doubting u, but really? mine true look way different then tuned length that ive seen.

but anyways i just ran my wires right along the fire wall and down. been that way for about 2 yrs when i put the header and no prob. i would get a pic of it and post up but i just pulled the motor out last night to stat building it
Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BRUTL
With as cheap as a roll of regular wire is, I would go buy some. Speaker wire insulation isn't as tough as regular wire insulation. I don't think the speaker wire would hold up well in the engine bay and definitely not anywhere near the headers.
Good point. ... Any particular gauge that I should use? I'm not aware of what gauge our harness wires are.

... I still want to buy a new Fire Sleeve to insulate the 4 wires to replace the SLP one. I'm not sure what temp typical Fire Sleeves are rated for but I'm assuming that it's higher than most Thermo Tape.

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 01-02-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

not doubting u, but really? mine true look way different then tuned length that ive seen.

but anyways i just ran my wires right along the fire wall and down. been that way for about 2 yrs when i put the header and no prob. i would get a pic of it and post up but i just pulled the motor out last night to stat building it
K, before you turn this into a dick slap about headers , I'd like to get away from the digression and back to what I was asking. ... I've also already tried getting slack in the harness but wasn't fortunate enough to get what I needed.

Thats why I'm just asking about extending the harness now.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

well my mistake for just show what i had and putting my info in then. just seeing if my i was wrong or if we had the smae thing and letting u know how i ran my wires if they were the same setup
Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

well my mistake for just show what i had and putting my info in then. just seeing if my i was wrong or if we had the smae thing and letting u know how i ran my wires if they were the same setup
No worries and no offense also. I'm not trying to be a dick. I just need to extend the harness and I only need the information pertaining to that alone.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

(Revive)
... Need to extend;
-Harness Crankshaft Sensor
-Oil-Level Sensor
-Starter Solenoid Wire

I also need to know what guage wire to use before I start cutting. ....
Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Probably going to be 16 or 18 gauge for all of those
Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

16/18 gauge....Most Likely! You could always cut a small section out of the wires and take them to a hardware store and compare them. Would only need to cut about 1 inch of wire. Either way, Good Luck!

James
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Youll want TXL jacket 20ga for most of that. 18ga is fine, but larger than stock

Starter wire is GXL 12ga

Should also be the Bank 2 sensor 1 HO2 in there too which uses 18ga TXL

TXL and GXL are required to be in the high temp areas near your exhaust. Store quality whatever wire will melt. If you want to be cheap, go to a junk yard and cut a large section of a late 90's GM FWD car harness out

Be sure you use quality solder and ohm out each connection you do
Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

^^^ Thats very good advice.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While attempting to lengthen my harness by 4 1/2 ft, so that my ECM could be mounted within the car, I also needed to know the minimum wire gauge necessary to do the job.
Here's how John @ SPEARTECH replied...I edited the email to include just the answer to this topic.....

Hi Glenn,

You will be fine with 20 gauge wire at that length, but you can use 18 gauge also if you prefer.

Thanks,

John
Speartech Fuel Injection Systems, Inc
Old 01-21-2011, 04:41 AM
TECH Addict

You guys rock! ..
I found this site that I can order TXL & GXL wire in quantities starting at 20ft from if I can't find a local retailer.
http://www.kayjayco.com/catPWireSele...FRQ8gwodfECUIA
They carry 18 to 12 Gauge TXL Wire ($4.66 for 20ft)
& 18 to 14 Gauge GXL Wire ($11.00 for 20ft)

All 3 of those wires are wrapped in heat-wrap at the moment. I forgot what the wire colors for those 3 are. ....Anyone remember?

If I use the 14 gauge GXL instead of the recommended 12 gauge GXL would this be an issue? ... I'm not wire savvy so I'm sorry if thats a dumb question.

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 01-21-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The higher the number, the smaller the wire. Using 14ga in place of 12ga is bad, using 10ga in place of 12ga is fine. Do not use a smaller wire than stock

I buy wire off ebay in rolls of 500' for $30-40. Single color is fine, just label everything. Removing the harness from the car completely and working off the car is preferred and the results look cleaner

Quick Reply: Extending Engine Wire Harness Question. ...