Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportlines with pacesetter/catted Y

Old 01-04-2011, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sportlines with pacesetter/catted Y

I have the sportline suspension I understand it is really low, but will still be able to tuck Pacesetter LT and a tsp catted Y? Also does the ory allow more clearance then the catted?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i trimmed my pro kit springs to sit almost as low as sportlines, i have pacesetters/tsp true duals tucked under and i get around fine.....but i really got to pay attention pulling into places or when i'm around speedbumps....i wouldn't think there would be too much difference in the ory and the catted pipe, but i've never seen the two side by side either
Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

I have to avoid speedbumps altogether everytime I go over one I scrape my stock y pipe
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Pacesetters with the TSP catted y on a lowered car. I had it on for all of 15 minutes and couldn't get out of my driveway because I had maybe 2.5-3 inches a little more than a tuna fish can clearance under the driver side cat. It is adjustable but not enough to where I would spend my money on it again if I had a lowered car. The pacesetter ORY is actually a good piece for a lowered car if that is a option. I had better clearance with the pacesetter LTs and ORY than my stock Y pipe. Only flaw to it is the merge, it gives the car a raspy sound.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it with Sportline springs. They are WAY low for an ORY. You will give up a little more room with cats. Our new catted Y-pipe has low profile cats but you are still giving up some. I wouldn't be really worried about the Pro Kit but the Sportline is LOW.

Jon
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sportlines are definitely too low for most LT header setups. You will beat the living **** out of your exhaust in a matter of months.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone, not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know now. Unfortunately the car came with the sportlines, don't get me wrong I love the way it sits but I got bigger plans, guess I'll be saving for the pro kit before the LT setup.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

do some research before you pull the trigger on the pro kit.....pro kit springs were on my car when i bought it, and i hate them.....the spring rates are very light and the rears sag badly over time....when i bought my '98, the back sat .75" lower than the front....when i hit bumps in the road, the rearend bottoms out on the bumpstops....it's not just mine, this is a common complaint from pro kit owners.....it's worth looking into a set of strano's or bmr's, they have better rates

Last edited by jc98ss; 01-04-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your gonna scrape. it's part of having a lowered car. if you don't want to scrape switch your springs out.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the same situation as you, my car came with Sportlines and I wanted LTs. The Sportlines were so low I banged my stock y-pipe on any speed bump or heavily crested hill. With the ground clearance you lose with LT headers and a 3" y-pipe, having Sportline springs would make it impossible to drive on most roads without scraping.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just curious, why is it necessary to have your car sit that low?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought my car with those POS sportlines as well and it already head longtubes and a Kooks ORY. I ended up getting 4" overall cats put in just off the headers and haven't had any problems. At least in my case I scrape the elbow in the Y on the driver side before either of the cats. It's really not that bad as long as you avoid speed bumps as much as possible or go 0.5mph over them. Those springs are gone as soon as I get the cash though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportlines with pacesetter/catted Y