Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advise on bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advise on bolt ons

I have a 2002 firehawk. Its it worth buying the slp maf sensor, ported throttle body ends and smooth bellow along with the slp lid and k&n filter, and does the slp lid fit the poterd throttle body? These are just begging mods for now, will be doing more better mods later on once i put some miles on it.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard the bellow is hard to install,you boil it in water to fit easier.the slp MAF is okay ,but I see people buy a 90mm MAF sensor from ebay for $50.use rubber adapters from the pluming department ,a low cost bellow.I hear the K&N filter is not the best filter for the money.it becomes restricted if over oiled.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, thanks for the advise..
Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the slp maf on previous ls1's and had no problem with it and it seemed to make power but this was a bolton car with a hypercrap tuner and didnt have the a/f checked. I had a bellows on that car and the one I have now, both had small fittment issues but werent tough to fix. The ported ends your reffering to are the stock maf ends, not the tb. Its one piece and I have that on my car now, it seemed to give more response and was worth the 60 I spent on it from ebay. I have used k&n on first car and eventually went back to stock and found no loss in hp, so Id just stick with the stocker on that note. Long tubes and oryp with mail order tune will yield nice gains for ya. Subframe conn and lca's with a torque arm would go good with some 4.10's and wake it up good on the street and track, with almost no loss on mpg's.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I have had the slp maf on previous ls1's and had no problem with it and it seemed to make power but this was a bolton car with a hypercrap tuner and didnt have the a/f checked. I had a bellows on that car and the one I have now, both had small fittment issues but werent tough to fix. The ported ends your reffering to are the stock maf ends, not the tb. Its one piece and I have that on my car now, it seemed to give more response and was worth the 60 I spent on it from ebay. I have used k&n on first car and eventually went back to stock and found no loss in hp, so Id just stick with the stocker on that note. Long tubes and oryp with mail order tune will yield nice gains for ya. Subframe conn and lca's with a torque arm would go good with some 4.10's and wake it up good on the street and track, with almost no loss on mpg's.
thanks, mush needed information, i just didn't want to spend any un needed money.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smooth bellow= waste of money the stock bellow is the best cause it flexes with the motor and won't cause your lid tabs to break off or crack your lid or make the lid pop off while driving. MAF = waste of money if your only doing bolt on, stock MAF is good for up to 500HP. Lid = good buy, you can get used ones on here cheap and on ebay. K&N filter is ok but known to collapse. Here is what your looking at,

Smooth bellow = 60
Maf = 190
NEW lid =90
K&N = 65
Total = 405

This is what I would do with 405

Used lid = 60-70
Pacesetter ceramic coated LT = 390
Total = 450-460

And there is a guy on here that will P&P your TB for $50 all you have to do is mail him your TB and he sends you a TB thats already P&P'ed.

You'll spend a few more dollars but gain more than what you would with the original 405 you would be spending IMO.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as said above don't waster your money on a new MAF. it isn't a restriction, especially for a bolt on only car. ported tb, sure that's been proven to be beneficial if done right. MAF's are left for when you run out of air. which i'm sure you haven't. instead focus on the real restrictions. like the exhaust and tune.

but be prepared to drop 1100+ for parts and labor to do LT's.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
as said above don't waster your money on a new MAF. it isn't a restriction, especially for a bolt on only car. ported tb, sure that's been proven to be beneficial if done right. MAF's are left for when you run out of air. which i'm sure you haven't. instead focus on the real restrictions. like the exhaust and tune.

but be prepared to drop 1100+ for parts and labor to do LT's.
I didn't spend anywhere near that!! I spent 390 on my ceramic LT's and 100 for my front O2'sand 48 at a GM dealer for stock header gaskets and header bolts. You can use the stock Y pipe ( I already had true duals put on 2 years before ) and I went ahead and spent 60 on MSD wires and NGK TR55 plugs while I was in there. I never did the job before but got write-ups on how to do it off this sight and didn't spend a dime putting them in, I spent an extra 170 for magnaflow hi-flow heavy metal cats but if you don't want cats then you don't have to spend anymore money. Where are you getting 1100+ from????
Old 01-08-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
Smooth bellow= waste of money the stock bellow is the best cause it flexes with the motor and won't cause your lid tabs to break off or crack your lid or make the lid pop off while driving. MAF = waste of money if your only doing bolt on, stock MAF is good for up to 500HP. Lid = good buy, you can get used ones on here cheap and on ebay. K&N filter is ok but known to collapse. Here is what your looking at,

Smooth bellow = 60
Maf = 190
NEW lid =90
K&N = 65
Total = 405

This is what I would do with 405

Used lid = 60-70
Pacesetter ceramic coated LT = 390
Total = 450-460

And there is a guy on here that will P&P your TB for $50 all you have to do is mail him your TB and he sends you a TB thats already P&P'ed.

You'll spend a few more dollars but gain more than what you would with the original 405 you would be spending IMO.
thanks this is exactly the type of information i was looking for. I'm trying to get as much information as possiple for the least amount of wasted money. this sounds like the route i will take.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
I didn't spend anywhere near that!! I spent 390 on my ceramic LT's and 100 for my front O2'sand 48 at a GM dealer for stock header gaskets and header bolts. You can use the stock Y pipe ( I already had true duals put on 2 years before ) and I went ahead and spent 60 on MSD wires and NGK TR55 plugs while I was in there. I never did the job before but got write-ups on how to do it off this sight and didn't spend a dime putting them in, I spent an extra 170 for magnaflow hi-flow heavy metal cats but if you don't want cats then you don't have to spend anymore money. Where are you getting 1100+ from????
oh i was taking cat back into consideration too.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool
Old 01-09-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

you still over spent