Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 ws6 exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 ws6 exhaust upgrade

i have been doing some research on here, and from what i have read the ws6 catback is already a good flowing exhaust. my question is this: would it be better to keep the cat back for now and put some lt headers and catted y pipe on first, and do the cat back at a later date? or do the cat back first and save the headers for a later date?

thanks in advance,
Bruce
Old 01-08-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

save up and do the entire exhaust all at once. what kind of sound are you looking for? what are your goals for the car?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

couldn't agree more with brian rs/ss.

Though the ws6 catback flows descent for a stock unit, most after market catbacks are far superior to the stock piece.

If your running low on funds though, I would do the catback first.

Just make sure you know what kind of sound your looking for. Quiet/loud
Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

yes if funds really are an issue i think most would be more happy with a cat back first because of the increase in sound quality. it's kind of an ego massager and the car will be more fun to drive. i have heard a stock cb behind lt's and o/r-y...the sound is...different to say the least.

again going back to my previous ?'s: what sound are you looking for? what are the goals for the car?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always weld in a high flow muffler like hooker or magnaflow (direct replacement) and then get LT's and a catted y.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

true but you are still left with a 2.75" I-pipe. i would at least upgrade to a 3" if not bigger. do it right, do it once.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

For full exhaust I'd go ARH LT's with a catted Y and a Magnaflow catback. If the Magnaflow is too quiet (like for me), then add a cut out.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
true but you are still left with a 2.75" I-pipe. i would at least upgrade to a 3" if not bigger. do it right, do it once.
Thats true. Right now I am using the ws6 catback with LT's and a high flow muffler that came with the car.. Ill be upgrading to a 3" catback soon but I am not expecting to gain much.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id start with LTs and Ory first. cat back can wait also you can make up your mind and decide what level of noise you want. but again its all up to anyway some ppl save for everything and do it once which is best ofcourse. but if you r on low budget or u have a shitty supplies like my case id part them out. good luck
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Captain Double Post

I did a catback first just don't make my mistake I went with the slp loudmouth 1 ,it did sound great on a stock car ,after longtubes it sounded ok,but after the cam is was awful,way to loud and I like loud and the sound was just bad,now I can't figure out what to get,I drove a head,cam camaro the other day with a magnaflow and I really liked it but wish it was a lil louder but had a great sound and was nice to drive,I think duals sound the best but my car is lowered and I don't wanna have clearance issue,I just can't make up my mind .I don't wanna pay 6,to 700 for a gmmg that's just to much and I have not been able to find a used one in 3 months. Just make sure you get what you want from the start,and know with a cam,heads,etc the exhaust will get louder and louder
Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
I did a catback first just don't make my mistake I went with the slp loudmouth 1 ,it did sound great on a stock car ,after longtubes it sounded ok,but after the cam is was awful,way to loud and I like loud and the sound was just bad,now I can't figure out what to get,I drove a head,cam camaro the other day with a magnaflow and I really liked it but wish it was a lil louder but had a great sound and was nice to drive,I think duals sound the best but my car is lowered and I don't wanna have clearance issue,I just can't make up my mind .I don't wanna pay 6,to 700 for a gmmg that's just to much and I have not been able to find a used one in 3 months. Just make sure you get what you want from the start,and know with a cam,heads,etc the exhaust will get louder and louder
Was the lm1 with an ory? Seems like cats really take the edge off.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Captain Double Post

I have a really good merge in the y but I don't see cats making it much better,I don't like cats,when I put the longtubes on and ory and fixed all the lil leaks it sounded pretty good,yeah had some rasp and what not but I liked it,but after the ms4 just got off the wall,sounds sweet at wot and idle but everywhere else sucks,I have 500 for a catback and can't find anything I like,might just get a maggy and a cut out ,
Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce,
My car went almost 115 through the stock cat back at full weight and the motor was dead stock. The only mods were Macs and a Y pipe,lid and filter.
I liked it because it was nice and quiet.
IMHO I would do other mods first.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Captain Double Post

Is your car an auto, or m6 ? What are your goals for the car?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Launching!

the car is an auto, my final product will be an ls6, but thats a few years out. for now i was thinking exhaust, lid, gears, and a tune of some sort. then save for the ls6. for exhaust i was thinking texas speed lt with a magna flow. i had a 94 lt1 with stepped headers and the lm1, way too loud! i like attention when i want attention if ya know what i mean.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Launching!

will those mods all support an ls6? and when the time comes should i be looking for a complete motor or just a long block considering i already have the intake? or is it better to convert my ls1 to an ls6 with over say 120k on the bottom end vs. finding a low mileage complete motor/ long block?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastbird02
will those mods all support an ls6? and when the time comes should i be looking for a complete motor or just a long block considering i already have the intake? or is it better to convert my ls1 to an ls6 with over say 120k on the bottom end vs. finding a low mileage complete motor/ long block?
It really comes down to what you want to spend IMO. If you want a fresh, brand new complete block/rotating assem, etc then go for it but you could always clean, freshin' up the stock block and buy a brand new ls6 rotating assemb.

Do you plan on anything bigger than the stock ls6 cam and heads?
A set of 1 7/8 headers might work better for your setup. Id run those along with a cutout after the ypipe for when you want to make it loud or quiet. fwiw You have to think about the end outcome so you are not spending money twice so having a good plan first always helps.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cant get much better than 3300 bucks for a ls6 longblock, they wont be around forever and there arent many left. as far as exhaust goes, i have pacesetter longtubes, offroad y and a magna flow witha torquer v2 cam. its docile when cruising but it sounds good at WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHXUmxvsOF4

half way through i opened the cutout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcfXHDLOEW0

the second one is with a tsp 228r 114lsa

hope this helps

Quick Reply: 02 ws6 exhaust upgrade