Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 AM

Location: Currently.. Korea. Summer home in paradise.. I mean Wyoming.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another exhaust thread

So I can't decide what to do, and need some more experienced folk to try and point me in the right direction. I recently purchased a '99 T/A, I've lurked around on LS1tech for years but never owned one, just wished I had. I want to do full bolt on's but I can't decide whether I want to buy a cheaper set of headers, say pacesetter or hooker, and exhaust, or go all out and save for a better quality header/exhaust system such as Kooks or ARH. I already have the SLP lid/filter and flowmaster cat-back, and access to HP tuners, I plan on getting a short throw (also any advise on that is welcomed) and the LS6 intake manifold. I'm in the U.S. Army, I'm not married, I don't party/drink, I don't play video games, and I'm good at saving. Girls and cars is pretty much all I do (own a '84 Z28 I rebuilt/cammed/full bolt on's). I have nothing else to spend my money on honestly, and I love cars and everything to do with them .. So, Advise?

Thanks!

C.

P.S. I've read that Kooks recently came out with a new 3" dual exhaust (there is a huge thread on here about it), what do ya'll think about that?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:27 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kooks duals system is sweet but way to much for me,I've had pacesetters on my car for 2 years,for the money there ok,but mine showed rust within 2 weeks of having them on,and the car is never driven in the rain bad weather or anything,honest my buddy got a set of stainless steel ebay headers and those look better than my ps,honest when I swap motors I will be swapin headers for something stainless steel,I wish I would have just got kooks or ARs from the start,but PS was a pretty good buy they do the job,as for shifters mgw is the best period,you could also fine a exhaust shop to run you a dual exhaust with x pipe over the axle for a lot less than the kooks system ,
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on the MGW shifter, it's awesome!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM

Ya I've heard great things about the MGW, you guys think the Kooks system would be a good permanent exhaust? I'm planning on heads and cam by the end of the summer.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Captain Double Post

I think the kooks system is like 1800 maybe more,its a great system top of the line for sure but honest its way over priced,I have seen many custom duals done by exhaust shops with great clearance,about as good as stock,ran over the axle and out the back,all stainless for way under the price of a kooks system,prices can be anywhere from 300 to 800 depending on the shop,tsp also has a x pipe for like 450 or something like that and it fits pacesetters perfect,are you set on duals?I would scrap the kooks duals idea,you could use that extra money towards a cam,intake ,etc. To spend that kind of cash for a kooks duals and then get pacesetter long tubes is kinda dumb in my book,lol,
Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
I think the kooks system is like 1800 maybe more,its a great system top of the line for sure but honest its way over priced,I have seen many custom duals done by exhaust shops with great clearance,about as good as stock,ran over the axle and out the back,all stainless for way under the price of a kooks system,prices can be anywhere from 300 to 800 depending on the shop,tsp also has a x pipe for like 450 or something like that and it fits pacesetters perfect,are you set on duals?I would scrap the kooks duals idea,you could use that extra money towards a cam,intake ,etc. To spend that kind of cash for a kooks duals and then get pacesetter long tubes is kinda dumb in my book,lol,
Actually I was thinking about getting Kooks or ARH LT's, not pacesetter or similar, I want top quality on the headers. I'd like to have duals, but honestly it's not like I really need it, I was just thinking long term. I'm going to attempt to find some shops in the Manhattan, Kansas area (that's were I'm stationed next) and get some price quotes though! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

For short throw I have the pro 5.0 I've had them on mustangs and when I went with my 98 transam I went out and tried a frew different ones in friends cars and the pro 5.0 imo is a great shifter for the money. Nice stops and goes in perfectly, I never miss a shift.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Captain Double Post

I think the mgw is 209, I think or maybe it was a special when I ordered mine awhile ago,5.0 for the money is a good shifter but not even in the same ballpark with a mgw,takes a lil bit to get used to but you will never miss a shift period,you really have to try to miss a shift
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you not already have a factory hurst installed? If so, save your money and just get the short stick from ws6store.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

I went from the factory hurst to the MGW, night and day difference well worth it IMO.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vids in sig. that's what i recommend.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by GSus
Do you not already have a factory hurst installed? If so, save your money and just get the short stick from ws6store.
Mmm no, I'm sure I only have the basic shifter.

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
vids in sig. that's what i recommend.
Nice! Especially like the WOT
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Get long tubes and any form of True duals you will not be dissapointed. Just keep in mind you will not like lowered with true duals. That will suck! I have not seen the Kooks duals on a lowered car yet but depending on my play money I get on taxes this year I will find out with my Hawk.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by got milk??
Get long tubes and any form of True duals you will not be dissapointed. Just keep in mind you will not like lowered with true duals. That will suck! I have not seen the Kooks duals on a lowered car yet but depending on my play money I get on taxes this year I will find out with my Hawk.
This^^

However, I have to disagree with you on the lowered part. Mine is lowered and I really don't have too many issues with it. Just got to take it easy at times.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Captain Double Post

^ agree I have seen some people tuck there's up pretty well,and others not so well,just mod the hangers a bit,and they should tuck up good,awww screw it I'm just gonna order tsp x pipe tomm. I have been in a debate for weeks now on what exhaust to run,and there has not been a gmmg or magnaflow catback for sale in 2 months
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
^ agree I have seen some people tuck there's up pretty well,and others not so well,just mod the hangers a bit,and they should tuck up good,awww screw it I'm just gonna order tsp x pipe tomm. I have been in a debate for weeks now on what exhaust to run,and there has not been a gmmg or magnaflow catback for sale in 2 months
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that would you? Because I can't find it?

Hey, being newer to the LSx game (actually any fuel injected car), I've heard having a wideband o2 sensor comes in handy. so my question, does Kooks LT Race headers that come without the EGR and AIR and just a place for the o2 sensor, does the wideband go in where the stock o2 sensor is? or is there another place for it?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I highly suggest that you find a somebody selling longtube headers in the classified section. That would be the best place to get a cheap set of good longtube headers. If you really want something brand new, go ahead and look into the TSP 1 7/8 headers. If i were in the market right now for some longtubes, those are the ones i would buy. Then get a good quality catback like hooker (Sounds so much better than magnaflow) or go with a set of True duals..
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Hey, being newer to the LSx game (actually any fuel injected car), I've heard having a wideband o2 sensor comes in handy. so my question, does Kooks LT Race headers that come without the EGR and AIR and just a place for the o2 sensor, does the wideband go in where the stock o2 sensor is? or is there another place for it?
The race LTs have two bungs on the drivers side collector.