Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new exhaust

well, don't really care if people respond or post, but I'm basically excited for my future purchase I will be making sometime this week

- TSP 1 7/8" longtubes (glad I researched for 2 years haha)
- custom y with flowmaster 3 inch collector
- 3" electric cutout
- flowmaster system (all ready installed)

opinions welcome, i'm sure it's been done many times, but I haven't done much to the car lately and I'm pretty excited since I've been at college and away from the car for 2 years now basically.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should plan on another catback,with heads and cam etc a flowmaster will hurt you numbers a good bit
Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
You should plan on another catback,with heads and cam etc a flowmaster will hurt you numbers a good bit
Not worth it since he'll be running an e-cutout. I'm running a flowmaster 80 series (known to be one of the worst flowing catbacks), but I basically leave the cutout open 24/7. That flowmaster merge will help reduce the dreaded rasp associated with y-pipe setups.

I wish I would have gone with 1 7/8" primaries when I started modding...

Should sound killer! Post up a soundclip afterwards.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'll do the best i can with bosting a video. i'm at school right now so unless i drive back every weekend to get the parts and get it done at home it's gonna be tough. I'll update with pictures and stuff the most i can. your trans am is the main reason i will be getting the cam i'm getting. i'm talking with tony now about which cam to get and i love the way yours sounds and ya, the flowmaster hurts numbers a little bit, but when i dyno and race it the cutout will be open and i wont have to worry about power robbing. also im running the 40 series and it sounds great ( IMO ) i dont like corsa because it's too high pitched and the list of reasons for any other catback is endless. but the e cutout should be a nice feature in tunnels and parking garages as well
Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and actually squirts, how do you like ur cam in terms of power band, where you really notice the power come in etc etc. where did u get it tuned and what would u do to ur car to maybe get a bit more power out of it
Old 01-10-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Funny thing is people never post proof that flowmaster hurts hp. They just show dynos with a cut out open and closed w/ flowmaster and of course the cut out is going to make better power lol

Setup looks fine to me
Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha well....at 120k miles i ran it bone stock at 13.9@ 99 and then threw on a lid and the flowmaster exhaust went back to the track at 127k miles and it went 13.6@101. so unless my driving got a little better both runs were on BFG g force TA's everything else is stock...the lid was just a SLP lid. nothing major. can't wait to go back after the ls6 drop in, full exhaust, slicks, 3.73, built trans and i plan to almost mimic squirts cam with a 234/246 607 lift @ 111 lsa (EPS cam), hoping to see 11's.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Captain Double Post

Mike search,there has been a lot of flowmaster test done on the dyno ,I saw one on a head and cam car lose 12 rwhp with the flowmaster,ill try and post the link up if I can find it
Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Captain Double Post

Trust me there is a reason they have gotten a bad name for f bodys,I loved flowmaster on my old mustang,and I think there one chambers are the best for a TD setup,just there f body muffler is such a crap design,I think flowmaster sounds good though,and unless its on a head,cam,intake car its not gonna hurt ya that much,also I didn't see the cutout,post some clips when ya get everything together,man I wanna drive my car so bad,winter blowssssssss
Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
and actually squirts, how do you like ur cam in terms of power band, where you really notice the power come in etc etc. where did u get it tuned and what would u do to ur car to maybe get a bit more power out of it
Power band is pretty broad/flat when compared to other similarly sized cams. Tons of area under the curve, and the cam/stall combination will work well with juice (Future mod - planned ahead). Regarding my overall powerband, since I'm stalled/geared, I don't really have any deadspots. The link in my sig shows the dyno graph from my tune, and although A4's don't generally dyno well, the flat torque curve speaks for itself.

Geoff @ EPS knows what he's doing, give him a call.

What intake do you plan on running with that cam? Heads? You'll want it to be able to breathe well, and I even had to flycut the pistons to get the compression I wanted (milled heads).
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well as of right now i'm running a performance products 85mm intake/throttle body, 243 heads, we fly cut the pistons ahead of time of rebuilding the motor. the heads will get milled, ported and polished later down the road when i have time. i dont think i will ever throw a shot at the car...if u weren't planning to spray, would u run a different cam?

the flows are literally for sound. that improved the performance over the stock exhaust slightly. they may be power robbing once more upgrades are done, but for numbers purposes and performance aspects, i will have the cutout open

Last edited by RoidedSS; 01-10-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

well as of right now i'm running a performance products 85mm intake/throttle body, 243 heads, we fly cut the pistons ahead of time of rebuilding the motor. the heads will get milled, ported and polished later down the road when i have time. i dont think i will ever throw a shot at the car...if u weren't planning to spray, would u run a different cam?

the flows are literally for sound. that improved the performance over the stock exhaust slightly. they may be power robbing once more upgrades are done, but for numbers purposes and performance aspects, i will have the cutout open
i agree flows sound the best on ls1 cars.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Nope, just would have stalled it higher (4k-4400ish).
Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol that's a pretty big stall.