Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor wont start...

I just did an lq4 swap on my 2000 trans am and I used the ls1 harness and ecm. Everything went together great but when I went to start up the car it just cranks and cranks but it won't start up. I checked to see if there was any spark from the plugs and there was NO SPARK. Then I checked the coil pacs and they are getting voltage. So I got new coil pacs and the same think happend. Also the plugs and wires are good. Any help would be greatly appritiated. Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not trying to sound demeaning but is the fuel line hooked up and flowing properly?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
Not trying to sound demeaning but is the fuel line hooked up and flowing properly?
The first thing to check is spark. As he has and there's no spark, it's a good indication that is the cause of the no start. Why would he check something else when he's allready found something not working?

OP: How did you check voltage at the coils? They do get battery voltage on their "D" terminal. The trigger from the PCM comes into the coil on the "C" terminal.

Check the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. If either of these is unplugged, there will be no trigger to the coils from the PCM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:16 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Can you return those coils? It's not a good idea to just start buying expensive parts before knowing what the cause of the problem is. These coils rarely go bad, they can last over two hundred thousand miles without any failures.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The first thing to check is spark. As he has and there's no spark, it's a good indication that is the cause of the no start. Why would he check something else when he's allready found something not working?

OP: How did you check voltage at the coils? They do get battery voltage on their "D" terminal. The trigger from the PCM comes into the coil on the "C" terminal.

Check the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. If either of these is unplugged, there will be no trigger to the coils from the PCM.
Read it wrong sorry....
Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

no worries...let's get this engine running!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Teching In

Ya I returned the coils and yes there is fuel getting to the motor. I checked the crank and cam shaft and both are good. What now?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

This is odd. Even under the most adverse conditions, with signal from the crank & cam sensors, there should be spark trigger pulses to the coils from the PCM during cranking. All other sensors are of little importance during cranking.

I assume you have good enough battery voltage to crank at a decient speed?

All your harness to engine grounds are good?

The eight coils connect to the PCM via the red mass pin plug. Perhaps this plug is not fully seated into the PCM?

Having failed this, you may need to get a tech scan tool that'll show you sensor response in real time. With this, you'll be able to see crank & cam sensor action while cranking.

What vehicle did this engine come out of?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't get a spark if the ignition relay is bad. Check fuses and relays
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Teching In

All the grounds from harness to motor are connected. Also I checked all fuses. The motor came out of a 05 silverado and I heard it run. All I used was the block and internals. I used the ls1 accesories and sensors. And also the ecm and harness are from the ls1. I really appritiate the help I need to get my car running conisdering its my only car.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Teching In

If the ignition relay was bad would it even try to crank? Cuz it does crank it just won't start
Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by babbage1109
You won't get a spark if the ignition relay is bad. Check fuses and relays
Where is this ignition relay?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Teching In

I'm not sure where it is but I will check it if I know where it is.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The power to the ignition coils (and fuel injectors) comes from switched power via the key when in "run" and "start" positions. It does go through the "IGN" relay in the underhood fuse block

You've allready confirmed the power to the coils was good. This would indicate the IGN relay and the fuses are good.

Having failed all the common sense things to check and test by eye, hand and test lamp, this might help but you'll need the scan tool:
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/New%20LS%20...0Not%20Run.htm
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Teching In

I really appritiate the help paul bell. I got the schematics u posted and ill see what I can figure out today when I get home. If u think or figure anything out I would greatly appritiate the help!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked for a good ground at pin A of the coil connectors. Or at least pin-A of coil #3, its a straight shot to ground.

Put a ohm meter or continuity tester between Pin-A and a good ground. Should have a good ground there.

Edit sorry I know you said you checked them but was that a visual or internal check? Do this and it will iliminate a bit.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Good idea. Eliminating things one by one will ultimately lead to the problem. It’s a group effort...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

You said you were getting power to the coil packs but NOT the plugs. The more I read this it seems to me that its a wire issue. I would try a new set of wires ( hell if it don't work you can take them back) and maybe even new plugs wouldn't hurt. If your using the same wires and plugs from your LS1 the gap might be different for this motor, so that may be an issue. ALL these ideas are good but lets try this one too. Like I said if it don't work you can always take the parts back. I would definitely check on the gap though. Just my thoughts on the situation.....
Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
You said you were getting power to the coil packs but NOT the plugs. The more I read this it seems to me that its a wire issue. I would try a new set of wires ( hell if it don't work you can take them back) and maybe even new plugs wouldn't hurt. If your using the same wires and plugs from your LS1 the gap might be different for this motor, so that may be an issue. ALL these ideas are good but lets try this one too. Like I said if it don't work you can always take the parts back. I would definitely check on the gap though. Just my thoughts on the situation.....
I think he is refering to power into the coil. Even with power to the coil you still have 2 more requirements. A ground and a trigger command. Without thoses you will not have a output from the high tension side of the coil. I can not see it being a plug-wire issue at this point, x8.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Someone told my that the 05 motors have a different crank set up and ii would have to get a conversion kit for it??? Does that even sound right?