Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats with true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 AM

Location: Currently.. Korea. Summer home in paradise.. I mean Wyoming.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cats with true duals?

So I've just about decided on custom 3" stainless true duals with XR-1 Borla mufflers for my exhaust, running off 1 3/4" Kooks LT headers, but should I run cats? The car is registered in Wyoming so cats aren't required (there's no emissions requirement), and I want the car to sound great and loud at WOT but rumble nice and low during normal daily driving and not draw too much unwanted attention from the local police. Should I run xr1's and tsp offers dual 'high flow' slp catalytic converters? Or forget the cats? or throw an electric cut out in there? I'm in turmoil right now guys

Edit: Also, I could have sworn TSP use to offer an X-pipe that people recommended, but their website isn't showing one? Am I mistaken? Input?

Last edited by BlackIceBlue; 01-14-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have cats with my T/Ds and it sounds killer.

HOWEVER, I recently cooked my drivers side cat and have developed a rattle in conjunction with the now broken ceramic. Also, my exhaust now stinks...terrible.

I'll be replacing both soon with a better set. So, if you go with high flows (recommended), get them with the metal core...not ceramic.

Don't worry about the 2 HP you'll lose. You won't have to worry about rasp, or your interior smelling like rotten eggs.