Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another intake question (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default another intake question (with pics)

Got my intake off. Wondering what this mysterious bracket is (second pic shows it on the intake, it's held on by the last 2 bolts on the driver's side). The only thing attached to it was the knock sensor harness, by a small clip (third pic). (By the way that's not mentioned in any of the how-tos I've seen, if you don't pull that clip off before pulling the intake out you'll probably trash the wires.) That big bracket is there just for a place to clip a couple of wires to? Otherwise it seems totally useless, is there any reason I can't just leave it off?

Also, maybe there are differences according to year, but mine has not one but 2 vacuum hoses going into the back of the intake (one for HVAC, one for AIR valve). And, the genuises that built the car routed the harness for the OP sensor in front of the brake booster hose, which is probably why the sensor usually gets broken on this job (that tiny wire must be tougher than it looks). I couldn't disconnect the harness from the sensor, but I could reach in with a knife and cut the hose near the intake which saved the sensor.
Attached Thumbnails another intake question (with pics)-bracket.jpg   another intake question (with pics)-backet-intake.jpg   another intake question (with pics)-clip-hilited-.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

that bracket is supposed to limit movement of the fuel rail in event of a accident.....and the knock sensor also clips to it
Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The purge valve for the AIR system goes on the bracket in the first pic