Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for some new headers and y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggestions for some new headers and y-pipe

I have a 2000 firehawk, and I'm looking for a set of headers and Y-pipe. I was thinking about going with some American racing headers, just wondering if anybody has any feedback or other ideas.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

ARH are very good headers from what I read I could no afford they so I have hookers. the TSP setup is very popular as well as kooks.....
Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Pacesetter lt's with the pacesetter y pipe aren't bad. Affordable and from all the cars i have heard they sound pretty good
Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Teching In

I put ARH race headers and their ORY on my camaro last year....awesome quality headers, super easy to install and great fitment. Definitely go ARH, you won't regret it.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ARH is nice, but can get costly, kooks are prolly one of the best, and are easily the most expensive. TSP pacesetters are the most affordable fitting systems for new. Or watch this site someone is always selling a set every few days.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pacesetters (coated) w/ tsp y for 479 on texas speed. cant beat it
Old 01-25-2011, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

I installed my Kooks LTs & Kooks catted y. Excellent quality & fitment!

Whichever you choose, I highly recommend you spend the extra to get them coated. I had mine jet-hot coated and 2 years later they still look like they're brand new fresh out of the box. And I've seen a lot of others rusted and discolored. Plus, the coating keeps the heat in the pipes for best performance.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't mean to hijack but instead of starting yet another header thread how do you all feel about QTP stainless lt's against TSP 1 7/8 headers. More or less concerned with performance and does any1 have evidence to back which headers give the nest performance numbers
Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not going to notice any performance difference between 1 and 3/4 and 1 7/8 until you have alot more mods. Also coated vs uncoated there is no performance difference that is noticeable either. It is for looks and corrosion resistance. Coated will keep more heat in the header creating exhaust scavageing but the difference is nothing to get happy about. So it comes down to price/quality materials and ease of install. I will say one thing after owning a few different headers do it right and get them coated. Do some research on the install of whatever headers you pick, some are way easier than others. Pacesetters, ARH, Kooks, are up there as far as ease of install. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

Id go with kooks or ARH headers. When I was debating for headers it was a toss up but I got a great deal thru maryland speed, plus if you wanna pay a little extra they will coat them for you.

Install on the kooks was a breeze only thing I had to do was remove the oil filter. Hope this helps out.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
I don't mean to hijack but instead of starting yet another header thread how do you all feel about QTP stainless lt's against TSP 1 7/8 headers. More or less concerned with performance and does any1 have evidence to back which headers give the nest performance numbers
no one can get QTP y pipes right now and they are longer than other out there so custom exhaust with QTPs is a MUST currently. I have never seen any difference in dyno proven hp to backup QTPs claims either. If your looking in that price range look at Kooks or ARH

Originally Posted by craZy28
Id go with kooks or ARH headers. When I was debating for headers it was a toss up but I got a great deal thru maryland speed, plus if you wanna pay a little extra they will coat them for you.

Install on the kooks was a breeze only thing I had to do was remove the oil filter. Hope this helps out.
There is a large thread on ARH vs Kooks somewhere in the first two pages of this section. The overall opinion was they pretty much fit/sound/perform the same. just pick you flavor and bolt them on basically
Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Gibbons
I have a 2000 firehawk, and I'm looking for a set of headers and Y-pipe. I was thinking about going with some American racing headers, just wondering if anybody has any feedback or other ideas.
Well, like usual what you want turns into the question of $. If your willing to spend the big bucks on ARH then that tells me you want top notch material. (Stainless) If your willing to do that then I say why dont you go for the new Kooks true duals? If I was in the position of replacing my plain black painted Pacesetters, tsp ory, and borla with a stainless system...I would for sure go with that new Kooks dual system
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

EBay stainless!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

I have ARH 1 7/8"s and love them. BTW, i believe the guys that make ARH headers actually used to work for Kooks.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As it was already said, depends on $$ I searched for a long time on here, reading and listening. I went with ARH and their catted Y. All stainless. No beating and banging like some headers you can read about. Money was an issue for me, that's why I saved up and put them on. I wanted a bad *** sound, and their hi flow cats with the LM1 (loudmouth) was exactly what I wanted.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info guys, I'm from Newfoundland, Canada so anything I order is going to cost me alot in shipping. I got a price of about 1900 shipped for the ARH headers, and Y-pipe. I tried QTP but there not making there headers right now and they told me shipping would be very expensive. So I think I might just go with the ARH's.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Even with Stainless Steel, ceramic coating is a good idea.
Lower under hood temperatures(always a good thing), and higher retained heat in the headers (higher exhaust flow speed) and if your running cats they'll work more efficiently.

Also Cooler feet on long drives.

IMO, worth it, just for the heat reduction!