Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder #3 not firing, clean spark plug.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder #3 not firing, clean spark plug.

What can be the causes of a clean spark plug. My engine had been running really bad, backfiring, running extremely rich so I changed o2's and plugs with no real improvement. Pulled the plugs today after about 20 miles of driving it, hoping to get a check engine light and this is what I got. Cylinder 1, 5 and 7 look good but cylinder #3 looks like it's brand new. Can this be the cause of a bad injector or coil? Thanks guys.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

i would guess and say coil is gone out on that cylinder
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After running the engine, did you notice wet gasoline on #3 plug?
If no gas, I would connect a NOID light to the #3 injector harness plug. In fact, I would connect the noid light anyway to check if that injector is working. If NOID shows it working, I would then look at the coil.
Do you have a spare spark plug & boot? If not, you might swap the plug & boot from another, then see if things change to #3.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Well just for the hell of it I removed the valve cover on that side to find the #3 cylinder rocker arm cocked to the side with the rocker bolt unthreaded and stripped from the cylinder head. Not sure exactly how that happened. Push rod shows no damage or bent in anyway. Gonna have it flatbed to the shop and have them helicoil the bolt hole. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

What year & how many miles on this engine? Mods? Stick or auto car? Been over reved?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by studballs
Well just for the hell of it I removed the valve cover on that side to find the #3 cylinder rocker arm cocked to the side with the rocker bolt unthreaded and stripped from the cylinder head. Not sure exactly how that happened. Push rod shows no damage or bent in anyway. Gonna have it flatbed to the shop and have them helicoil the bolt hole. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Good 'catch'!
It was fortunate that nothing was major was damaged.

Quick Reply: Cylinder #3 not firing, clean spark plug.