Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing crank pulley...pulley turns a bit. normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing crank pulley...pulley turns a bit. normal?

Howdy,

First time i've dealt with removing a crank pulley. The pulley turns a bit and feels like the motor is wanting to turn over even though I'm in 4th gear. Is it normal for the motor to turn over a bit? It feels kind of spongey when I put pressure on the big wrench that Im using to break the bolt free.

I don't want to put a ton of pressure on a motor thats trying to turn over for fear of breaking something internally or stretching the spark plug threads in the head (spark plugs are still installed)

Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure about it being able to turn while in 4th but the driveshaft will always have a little bit of backlash in it so it could just be that your feeling and then after that is gone it should lock up. However you shouldnt damage the plug or anything even if you are turning the crank by hand... What do you think its doing when the motor is running lol? Your doing the exact same thing only without spark and fuel so no you wont hurt it.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this recently. With it being in 4th the motor will turn a little bit but then it should load up. It will take a lot of pressure to losses that bolt. You will need at least a good size breaker bar.