Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question, what do you think...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust question, what do you think...?

Ok, question is, I am planning do put exhaust from the headers back on my car, and I am gonna be dumping the exhaust before the axle, I couldn't find any info on the true duals for my current setup though... I have a th400 BMR crossmember with torque arm mounted to it. I had been planning to run 3" true duals but I am concerned with ground clearance, so then I thought about doing 2.5" true duals with an x pipe, I already have a 3 inch x pipe, brand new that I never used, and 2 3" bullet mufflers that I have been using, but a friend of mine has a kooks 3" y pipe that I can pick up pretty cheap and I can just add a little pipe and put a bullet on it and dump it.

Questions I need answered:

I am planning to go with a Trex cam, and 150 shot of spray, which of these exhaust setups are gonna work good with this combination without being bad on power restriction?

Does anyone have and pics of their setup with a th400 like I am running and/or video of their setups on a bolt on car (this is how mine is right now, so I am curious how it would sound between the 3 setups.)

My current mods are QTP stainless long tubes 1 3/4 inch primaries, bullets dumped right off the headers, th400, full suspension, BMR adjustable torque arm, th400 crossmember/torque arm mount, I think that's about all you need for the setup, other then model of car which is a 2000 Z28.

If I forgot anything ask me, I just need to know my answer sometime this week as I am doing the exhaust around Monday.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The true duals is going to be your best flowing, as opposed to necking down to a single 3 inch pipe like a Y pipe would. If the merge is decent it may not hurt you much. There is a true dual sticky thread at the top of the section that is literally years in the making. It has every combo of true duals x100 you could be looking for. I say start there.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The true duals is going to be your best flowing, as opposed to necking down to a single 3 inch pipe like a Y pipe would. If the merge is decent it may not hurt you much. There is a true dual sticky thread at the top of the section that is literally years in the making. It has every combo of true duals x100 you could be looking for. I say start there.
I looked through all 44 pages of it, I was about half through when I posted this, I saw a COUPLE setups similar to what I planned to run but they were a bit different routing then my x pipe would allow for.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...t.phtml?p=1059 This is the Y pipe I'd be getting.

The X pipe I have is a 3" Pypes x pipe if I went that route.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

In my honest opinion, I'd have a custom Y pipe made with a flowmaster merge. When you do this clearance is never a problem bc you mold the exhaust around the car. Asking if you have room for 2 three inch pipes is kinda silly to me bc I have had 3 inch true duals and now I have a 4 inch merge off the y pipe into a 4 inch in/out muffler. And my car is lowered about an inch. So can you do it? Hell yeah you can. The harder you work on the system, the more you will have to show after its over. If you want to buy an off the shelf unit thats cool, just be prepared to make some slight modifications if necessary.

I have had 3 inch ORY/catback, 3 inch true duals with an X, changed to true duals with a custom H, then custom 3 inch ORY into a 4 inch Flowmaster merge into a 4 inch in/out delta flow, and my newest (coming within a week) is gonna be the 3 inch custom Y and 4 inch merge into a 4 inch e-cut-out then reduced to 3 inch and going into a magnaflow catback. Plus I have built several systems for buddies. Anything you want to know I could probably tell you.