Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ported maf

Old 02-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ported maf

So I have been reading on stock ported maf. I was unsure if I wanted to try and port it or just buy one bigger. So somewhere on a thread about free and DIY mods I read where taking out the screen can damage it. And on a4 cars can screw it up shift points I believe. Well on my ss that was the first thing I did was pop it out. Couple months pass and being the cheapass I am I decided to port it. Way I looked at it was I already took the chance to screw it up why not try it for better or worst. It turned out very crappy at first . I used tungsten carbide cutter Drexel brand part# 9901. Worked great went smooth surprisingly. BTW this was my first time to try to port anything. The reason I did it was to see if I could. Well if happened and I know it is not advised to do but was this worth all the time it took? I will post pictures soon. My next thing is trying to port the TB and bump stop mod. Any advice on porting the TB would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trevorss00
So I have been reading on stock ported maf. I was unsure if I wanted to try and port it or just buy one bigger. So somewhere on a thread about free and DIY mods I read where taking out the screen can damage it. And on a4 cars can screw it up shift points I believe. Well on my ss that was the first thing I did was pop it out. Couple months pass and being the cheapass I am I decided to port it. Way I looked at it was I already took the chance to screw it up why not try it for better or worst. It turned out very crappy at first . I used tungsten carbide cutter Drexel brand part# 9901. Worked great went smooth surprisingly. BTW this was my first time to try to port anything. The reason I did it was to see if I could. Well if happened and I know it is not advised to do but was this worth all the time it took? I will post pictures soon. My next thing is trying to port the TB and bump stop mod. Any advice on porting the TB would be greatly appreciated.
I did both these mods myself and the hardest part on the tb porting is the epoxy mod i did everything to the tb half shaft, bump stop, knife blade, ect...
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Is it necessary to do the epoxy mod? I have seen it but not 100% sure how to do it. Seems kinda iffy to me.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trevorss00
Is it necessary to do the epoxy mod? I have seen it but not 100% sure how to do it. Seems kinda iffy to me.
I would not say its necessary but if your going to do it you mines well go all the way Just get a friend to help you with the epoxy part one hold the lines and the other put the epoxy in do as many searches on it as u can and see it done from others point of views i can go into detail if you like but reading it with no pics or actually seening it done is confusing as it was for me.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont port your MAF period
Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by needtransam
dont port your MAF period
There is a on going debate on that subject porting/descreening lol and i can say from experience not hear say that i had a ported tb and ported/descreened maf on my car and had 0 problems car ran better period.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Well needtransam its not like I am worried about porting it obviously you did not read my original post. I wanted to see if I could do it . Having that said my car runs with zero problems
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Well i ported my MAF and descreened it but I also had it tuned afterwards,some people have had better luck with this "free mod" than others. Keep in mind that if you do it, it will seem to work for a minute but, the computer goes through a learn mode and recalibrates to the original flow capability of the original MAF setup thats why I recommend if you do it wait until you decide to do other mods that would require a custom tune, i.e. cam,heads etc.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look porting a maf will make u run lean even if u can tell trust me once u have a tuner luke hp tuners and log the car you will see trust me
Old 02-04-2011, 04:39 AM
TECH Addict

Dont worry about epoxy, doesnt do any good on power on the dyno.

Search this Thread