Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting AIR w/cats?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deleting AIR w/cats?

I've read a lot about this topic recently, but still have one concerning question about longevity of the cats.

I want to install some race headers that eliminate the EGR and AIR system on my 2000 Trans Am, but I would also like to run a Corsa cat-back exhaust. I've read too many posts about how god awful this setup sounds without a catted y-pipe. I do not want a lot of rasp or an obnoxiously loud exhaust tone - hence the catted y-pipe.

Without running the AIR system, won't the cats prematurely go "bad"? Its either I run race headers, catted y-pipe, with Corsa out back, or, I run headers with emission openings and everything above. I'm not interested in running any other cat-back manufacturer. I've had some personal experience with Corsa products, (although not on a f-body), and its been very good.

I just want to get rid of both AIR and EGR, as I don't have anything to worry about where I live.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only reason the AIR pump exists is to get the cats up to temp when cold.. Once there, it shuts off and becomes dead weight.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like subpar said and the reason is basically cold start emissions. The quicker the cats get warm the better emissions. The only thing that can realy damage cats is extremely high temperatures so this wont be a concern for you.

I have the exact set up you are thinking of and for the exact same reason. I will tell you it is a unique sound but I dont have any rasp and zere drone at highway speed. Highway speed it is about the same noise level as stock and when you get into it, it really screams. Actually pretty damn loud at WOT. I cant put my fingure on it but when I first installed the system the sound was different now that it is broken in. Maybe it was the cats breaking in?? Anyway I wasn't so big on the sound but now that the tone has changed it sounds pretty damn good.

Search this Thread