Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use to port?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 AM

Location: Currently.. Korea. Summer home in paradise.. I mean Wyoming.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you use to port?

What kind of dremel/die grinder? What grit(s) sand paper? What high speed cutters? Do or don't polish?

Just looking for basic opinions on what ya'll use when you port t/b's, heads, intakes etc.

Thanks!

C.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a dremel on my intake. I used the round sanding stones. I don't remember the sand paper I used, but I used 3 different grits, obviously starting with the lowest #, and working my way up.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay away from hand porting heads,unless its something that you know what your doing,also porting heads by hand takes some time,
Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For my heads I took a router bit and turned down the shank to 1/8" and used it in my dremel to start with to get some good material removal going , then I made sanding bits (long skinny) using old dremel shafts and super gluing 40grit , 80grit , 220grit, 400grit, 600grit, and 1200grit sand paper and yes it took forever seriously I probably spent 20 or 25 days at maybe 5 hours a day , but they turned out pretty nice . That was mainly just the exhaust ports . I increased the exhaust ports from 1.5" by 1.3" to 1.625" by 1.45" all the way through and ground the inner diameter of the valve seats .050" larger on both the in and ex and polished the sh_t outta both . The intakes I sanded enough to smooth them out so they would polish nicely . So I need to purchase a dbl row 1" wide row radiator before summer and hope I don't have any issues with the valve seats . I don't think I'll have any problems as long as it stays under 200deg , which it will with that radiator with no leaks or stuck t-stat . I have a spare set of heads just in case . The best sand paper 4 making You're own is cloth backed for sure .

Last edited by chrisfrost; 02-12-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add a little info