Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 install questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 install questions

getting ready to put the ls6 intake on my 98 trans am tommorow...waiting on a oil pressure switch to come in since I broke the stock one removing the ls1 intake.

This is the first time i have done this.

I did not by the coolant line, i just took the bottom of the intake and knocked of the tabs from some pics I seen this is mine.

I test fitted the intake this evening.

When I sit the intake down it did not wobble but it didnt sit all the way flat...very very very very small gap.

But I think this is the new seals in the intake..on the ls1 i pulled off the seals were flat into the intake smooth. the news stick out alittle...almost just as much as the small gap between intake and head.

I guess when I tighten down the intake it will for a good seal correct?

I kinda thing my old intake was leaking alittle...and all the pcv hoses were wrotten in half.

Edit also
the part on the new tb where the cable connects almost seems taller in a way...but it opens the same..I guess this wouldnt have an effect I'll have to try to be sure.

sorry if these seem like stupid questions im just paranoid and finally just working on my own stuff.

thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine sat funny too. I used the stock steam vents. If I put a small bit of pressure on the intake, it would seat so I tightened it down. And I didn't break mine off, just dremeled them down.

And if the TB works, don't worry about it. Some have a different "cam" or quadrant. Whatever you want to call it.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, yeah I didn't press on it too hard and it went down alittle...I guess I will see when I bolt it down. Someone told me to re-use the stock seals, but with having new ones I would wrather use them, and the olds sit so flat to the intake I don't see how it woudl seal off. It even looks like the stocker may have leaked alittle.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Veteran

^ MY stockers were pretty flat too. Used em for a while with no problems. But there's nothing wrong with replacing them either.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i figure I just might as well, you can see on the pic O posted the seals ae not exactly flat yet, they have never been used.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Pretty beefy lookin.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try not the break the opsu again putting it back on, I almost did. and dont forget the little vacuum line that goes toward the passenger side. I had a hell of a time finding the correct opsu from the parts store, they kept giving me the wrong one, the threads on the 98 opsu are larger than the later models. had to go to 3 different places to get the right one. had to drive for a week to work with the opsu hole plugged up.

I put a 1 inch extension on the opsu so now I can easily reach it without having to take the intake back off.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I had to order one, and I just ordered two to be sure, I think the hose that runs to the break booster broke mine. So i'm just gonna shove it under the fuel rail and run it when the intake goes back on.

I ordered two opsu's just in case.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For the brake booster hose, just run it on top of the harnesses and other junk back there. I made mine a little longer by adding some 1/2" hose with barb connectors. Then you don't have to route it thru anything when you put the intake back, and it won't hit the OPSU, and much easier to take it back out.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by patSS/00
For the brake booster hose, just run it on top of the harnesses and other junk back there. I made mine a little longer by adding some 1/2" hose with barb connectors. Then you don't have to route it thru anything when you put the intake back, and it won't hit the OPSU, and much easier to take it back out.
Thanks, I may do that...that's what cause it in the fist place I think.

Just one more Q I don't have a torque wrench, but I know the intake bolts are night tigh at all..

I was just told to tighten them down to where they kinda get tight then go in sequence and give them one good turn and that's it.

I can get a ft'lb torque wrench but I know ther 44inch pounds...what would 44 inch pounds be on a ftlb torque wrench.

I also can get the crossover lines and block of plates today...just still paranoid about blocking the coolant line to the rear cylinders.

Last edited by Kev SS; 02-15-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to be sure none of the notches are going to hit anywhere just knock them all off. It takes about five minutes and will eliminate any and all doubt.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kev SS
I can get a ft'lb torque wrench but I know ther 44inch pounds...what would 44 inch pounds be on a ftlb torque wrench.

I also can get the crossover lines and block of plates today...just still paranoid about blocking the coolant line to the rear cylinders.
Divide by 12, actually..

and don't worry about it. GM does it all the time..
Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

When I did my LS6 intake I flattened the steam pipes just a little bit. I couldn't tell if the intake was hitting the tubes or if it was because of the new gaskets. New gaskets are pretty thick.