Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lt header(ARH) install; what do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt header(ARH) install; what do i need?

so im planning on ordering my ARH 1 3/4 with catted y for my 02 z28 auto within the next two weeks. i was wondering if there was anything else i should get while i'm doing the install? keep old gaskets or get new? change spark plugs? and was thinking E-cutout and motor mounts anything else though? any input would help. thanks guys.

PS: currently i only have an slp lid, magnaflow catback and got rid of the stock 2.73 for 3.08(for now) posi gears with forged axles. everything else just makes her look pretty
Old 02-17-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

new gaskets, plugs, wires, motor mounts, O2 wire extentions or Bosch 13111 sensors,
Old 02-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New gaskets, plugs, dont really need wires but some will prob break when removing. Everything else the ARH will come with.

If you need a set of ARH feel free to give me a call ill hook you up with a good price. You are also in south Jersey so close.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright ill def get some new gaskets, what type of plugs should i get? also what exactly does the ARH come with does it come with 02 extensions or do i need to get them seperately ?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill def give you a call if not next friday then the following because i get paid bi-weekly.

my main concern here is the motor mounts, would i be dumb not to do them as well at the same time? my friend is a mechanic and he said i dont really need them right now but i feel like i should get them done also how long would the install of the mounts take as this is my daily driver i could afford to have it on the lift a weekend though.

also what sparkplugs should i get?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Spark plugs - if you want cost effective just go with NGK-TR55's. I think that's what most close to stock people are running, and that's what I used when I installed my LT's not too long ago. Don't forget to put anti-seize and di-electric grease on the plugs. Also anti-seize on the header bolts. For the gaskets, order a set of the OEM GM MLS gaskets, they work the best. And a tip for the install, don't tighten everything down until you have everything in place, including the Y-Pipe. It will make things go a lot smoother, and fitment much easier, trust me. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

15mm wrench, 15mm deep and shallow sockets... 10mm wrench, deep and shallow sockets.... Gauze, beer, time to have the car down for a day... Nice neighbors. (these things always seem to finish up at midnight.)
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motor mounts deff arent needed. Just depends on what shape they are in. We can do headers in one day.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Launching!

fran check your pm's i had a question about ARH install
Old 02-18-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Definitely get a set of motor mounts ... it's much easier doing them while the headers are off the car. I speak from experience, took nearly 6 hours with them on the car. ARH comes with O2 extensions, and paper gaskets. You can reuse your stock ones, but personally new ones are cheap insurance. Same with plugs and wires.

Spray down your bolts with some PB the night before. I pulled the steering shaft, and passenger coil brackets, the last bolt on the passenger bracket is a bitch. I cut the stud off before putting it back, most just don't use the bolt again. Also don't forget a 22mm wrench for the O2's.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Motor mounts deff arent needed. Just depends on what shape they are in. We can do headers in one day.
wow your shop is only 24 mins from my house, im right over the bridge in new jersey. how much would you charge for motor mount / header install?(maybe dyno tune as well) my friend moved his shop and still doesnt have his lift set up again. feel free to PM info.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by titter
Definitely get a set of motor mounts ... it's much easier doing them while the headers are off the car. I speak from experience, took nearly 6 hours with them on the car. ARH comes with O2 extensions, and paper gaskets. You can reuse your stock ones, but personally new ones are cheap insurance. Same with plugs and wires.

Spray down your bolts with some PB the night before. I pulled the steering shaft, and passenger coil brackets, the last bolt on the passenger bracket is a bitch. I cut the stud off before putting it back, most just don't use the bolt again. Also don't forget a 22mm wrench for the O2's.
It's not necessary to unbolt the steering shaft, at least not with 1 3/4 LT's. But very true, removing the coil brackets does make things a lot easier on the passenger side.

I would recommend doing the passenger side first, as there is less room and it takes longer. That way you get it out of the way, and it will move a lot faster when you get to the driver side. And whoever mentioned spraying the bolts down, great idea, I almost forgot about that. Will definitely save you some time, and maybe even some bolts! Make sure to get the bolts on the Y and Cats too! They should come with instructions, but don't forget to remove the diptstick tube, and replace it after the install.