Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on some SS convertible mods- Headers and cam (maybe the cam)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on some SS convertible mods- Headers and cam (maybe the cam)

Im going to pull the trigger on a GMMG exhaust this spring. (I start to giggle like a school girl just thinking of it). And of course I always have to go a step further in these situations and was thinking of getting a new set of headers. I heard of problems with converts extra bracing or whatever. Is that true? Some header part numbers from guys who already did this on a "vert" would be very appreciated. Pacesetter LTs seem to be the standard in this application.

Also I was thinking of a cam. I want to gain the HP, but stay away from having to mess with the car too much. Something I can throw in along with new springs and rockers and walk away. I hear some people have to get a tune after doing this, and I really dont think I want to do that. Is it possible? Is getting a tune done expensive and hard? Where would I go to get a tune anyhow?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't ever installed LTs on a 4th Gen Convertible, but there are many who have, so it can't be extremely difficult (bracing or no bracing).

As for upgrading your cam: In these cars, almost any modification done to the powerplant is best optimized by getting a better tune. This is rings very true for a camshaft. The easiest way would be to get a Mail-Order-Tune. Give your tuner the specs of your new camshaft, as well as a list of the other supporting mods your car is currently sporting and he/she can tailor a tune from similar applications to get you going.

I went with a Mail-Order-Tune from Frost after installing my LTs and LS6 Intake. Once I finally break down and purchase a Head and Cam package, I'll be looking to him to upgrade my tune for me.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can expect to ditch the "spider" brace and the
body will feel a bit more floppy but it seems to hurt
nothing really.

If you have a dual/dual or CME you may want to skip
the GMMG, once you go to long tubes and cam it up
and lose the cats these exhausts have a real nice
note and are reasonably well flowing.

Any cam worth having, will want tuning. Bet on it.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Will any header require the bracing to be removed? Or just the long tubes?

How much is the tune? When I get it from the shop, how does it get into the car?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by REBORN Z28
How much is the tune? When I get it from the shop, how does it get into the car?
Total cost will be around $150-$200 for a Mail-Order-Tune.

How it works is you remove the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) or Computer from your car. (Check out Frost's website for instructions on how to accomplish this.) Next you package it up nicely and ship it to your tuner. Your tuner installs a new tune in the PCM and ships it back to you. You reinstall it and drive the car. Simple as that.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm. That doesn't sound too bad. Ill check out that Frost guy.

Thanks for the info.

Any other info can keep commin'
Old 02-26-2011, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like it loud, you're headed in the right direction. Problem is that in the convertible, top up or top down, that big exhaust note is in your ears all of the time. You can't hear the radio or the person sitting next to you in the passenger seat. Been there, done that.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Captain Double Post

Yeah a cam is gonna need a tune,well a cam that is worth swapin in will need one,frost is a good tuner,but imho a mail order tune is just a baseline tune to get your car to a dyno where it can be really done right,I also guess that it depends a lot on the setup but I would rather not try and half *** one of the most important parts,and a gmmg with longtubes,cam,ory is gonna be pretty loud,if ya want loud I like the sound of a good dual set up over any catback and y pipe setup,
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

I had a 94Z28, and stuck in some Pacesetters. Ceramic coated. After that Im a little turned off by the whole header game. I had to swap the steering box for clearance, and they were a HUGE PAIN IN THE you know what to get in. SO at this point, Ill keep the stock mainfolds I guess. Unless I get enough votes from you guys.

kenp has a good point. I never thought of the incresed volume with the ragtop. That might keep me from headers and an ORY. But theres no shame in getting a GMMG. Its only loud when your on the gas. ??

Anyone have a good cam/spring/rocker option for me?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a 94Z28, and stuck in some Pacesetters. Ceramic coated. After that Im a little turned off by the whole header game. I had to swap the steering box for clearance, and they were a HUGE PAIN IN THE you know what to get in. SO at this point, Ill keep the stock mainfolds I guess. Unless I get enough votes from you guys.
If you're concerned about fitment of the Longtubes you install, simply plan to spend more money on a Header that is proven to be a good fit.

Pacesetters are a great budget header but fitment can be hit-n-miss. (I've read about many people who find it necessary to remove the steering knuckle in order to get the driverside in place.)

If you want to be sure you won't have any fitment issues, spend the extra cash on a set of Kooks or American Racing Headers. I've never heard of anyone having fitment issues with either of these brands.

Or if you don't want to hand over that much dough for a Stainless Steel set, Jet Hot Headers fit very well, but cost significantly less. They're made of Aluminized Tubing (rather than stainless) and are coated with Jet Hot's 1300* Sterling Silver Coating. Just keep in mind this magic coating isn't all its cracked up to be. And don't expect much for customer service if/when their product fails. But this is a less expensive way to get some LTs on your ride and not have to worry how big a PITA they'll be to install.

kenp has a good point. I never thought of the incresed volume with the ragtop. That might keep me from headers and an ORY. But theres no shame in getting a GMMG. Its only loud when your on the gas. ??
If increased volume is an issue, why go with an ORY? Cats don't significantly reduce the volume of the exhaust, but can dramatically cut down rasp and making your car not be ridiculously loud. Why not choose a Catted Y rather than ORY?

Also, is your heart set on GMMG? Its probably the loudest catback you can get for your F-body. (Second only SLP's Loudmouth.) Again if volume is a concern, the GMMG may not be the way to go and there are plenty of other choices out there that will give your car an aggressive exhaust note without making it hard to live with.

Don't rule out the benefits of Headers and an Aftermarket Y when there are many directions you can pursue to attain the sound and performance you're looking for.

Anyone have a good cam/spring/rocker option for me?
This (cam choice especially) will be difficult to pinpoint without knowing what you're looking to achieve for a goal. I have yet to tackle this on my F-body yet, so please don't take too much stock in my opinion on this matter.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest you look at Thunder Racing's CheaTR Cam Kit. They're a sponsor, so just find their link at the right and click on it.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Anyone selling a replacement spider brace that works with headers? Seems like something UMI should make... Anyone fab their own?

I don't want "floppy"!

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
You can expect to ditch the "spider" brace and the
body will feel a bit more floppy but it seems to hurt
nothing really.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Mumbles,
So Hooker and A. Racing make headers that work fine with the convert. without having to remove braces? Hmmm. Ill look into that some more.

The GMMG might be loud, but I think it sounds the best. I guess now that I think of it, noise isnt an issue really.. Most of the time my tunes are off so I can hear my stock exhaust anyhow.

Thanks for all the info. Much apprecitated. Everyone.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Mumbles,
So Hooker and A. Racing make headers that work fine with the convert. without having to remove braces? Hmmm. Ill look into that some more.

The GMMG might be loud, but I think it sounds the best. I guess now that I think of it, noise isnt an issue really.. Most of the time my tunes are off so I can hear my stock exhaust anyhow.

Thanks for all the info. Much apprecitated. Everyone.
Not so sure about the fitment of Hooker Headers. The ones I mentioned were KOOK Stainless Steel Headers.

I forgot we're talking about a Convertible. I can say that ARH, KOOK, and JET HOT LTs all fit very well on the Coupe 4th Gen F-bodies, but I can't say for sure how well they fit a Convertible.

I did, however, do a search and found a member who's brain you should pick on the subject. It seems he has a set of ARH on his Drop-Top. And, according to the following thread, they seem to rest very close to the oil drain plug...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...bes-sucks.html

I would shoot him a PM asking how well the ARH fit on his convertible and whether or not he would recommend them to others. He may also be able to give you the answer to any other questions you might have along the way.

And also, you are very welcome. I'd be honored to cruise with a fellow member in his or my home town. May have to hit you up on that sometime. If you happen to plan to attend Hot Rod's Powertour this year. We'll definitely be cruising together.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are fitting a cam, You are going to have to have it 'Dyno tuned'.

Mail order tune is not going to tune your engine the way it should be, every car is different even though they maybe running the same cam.

Get it done properly the first time or really, why bother doing it at all.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

I am curious now too. I have a set of Jet Hot lt's I am fixing to install on a motor, out of the car, and drop it in. Haven't quite made up my mind about the engine swap, either going from the top or dropping the k member, but any info before hand would be great. I want to make this as smooth as possible and avoid any last minute ordeals with fitment, etc.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm doing Hooker longtubes in my 98 WS6 vert...everything has been fine until putting the passenger side header on...I can't get it up there!

Car is on ramps and a jack with a block of wood on it to add some height and it's still hitting the floor...drivers side went in no problem once I took off the oil filter..I dropped the starter on the passenger side for more room.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

I did a swap on the 94 Z28 I had (gone now... Im gonna cry) and I went out/in from the top. On the way out I took the intake off and all went well. On the way in I had it on and was VERY TIGHT. But I got it in. My pacesetter headers were a pain in the you know what also. The main thing was the steering rack. BUT, this was on a 94. Not 2000. The intake on the LS1 seems a little shorter, maybe will be no prob.

If you need a hand I would be happy to help. Just pay my plane ticket, give me a place to stay and Im all yours. Get me the hell out of this 25 degree hellhole.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

I have lpp andbthey fit fine. I also have dumped duals and a decently large cam. Yes its loud but no worse in cabin than stock with just a catback was.

That spider brace being gone wont do anything to the car. If youre that worried get sfcs.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

I did a swap on the 94 Z28 I had (gone now... Im gonna cry) and I went out/in from the top. On the way out I took the intake off and all went well. On the way in I had it on and was VERY TIGHT. But I got it in. My pacesetter headers were a pain in the you know what also. The main thing was the steering rack. BUT, this was on a 94. Not 2000. The intake on the LS1 seems a little shorter, maybe will be no prob.

If you need a hand I would be happy to help. Just pay my plane ticket, give me a place to stay and Im all yours. Get me the hell out of this 25 degree hellhole.
Could always use a hand, but a plane ticket just isn't in the budget right now. LOL...by the way, it was 68 here yesterday. Come on Spring!!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

How do you do the passenger side on a jack? It's just not high enough for me.