Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*General* FAST LSXr 102 thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default *General* FAST LSXr 102 thread

I've seen a lot of different threads on the 102 (goes without saying around here) and I was almost going to start posting misc info in the eBay TB thread, but I didn't feel like jacking it.

Lets just throw all our misc stuff in here.. So feel free to jack this thread all you want. Just stay on the FAST 102 intake topic. No crank bolt questions, or LM1 questions please.

I've noticed upon initial inspection of the 102 that it could SERIOUSLY benefit from a professional work over. There are a LOT of sharp edges from casting and some parts don't line up right. I did some minor smoothing on my 102 today. The lower intake was almost an EXACT port match to my heads the way it was. So after I smoothed out a couple small areas on the runners, I reassembled it and matched the runners to the lower.

-There is a torque spec and sequence to this intake for the upper shell. READ THE MANUAL
-This requires a small bead of RTV at the back left (pass) edge/corner of the intake upon reassembly.
-The MAP area needs to be drilled. The manual specifies which size bit to use. Remove #7 runner to prevent drilling into it for a rear MAP.
-The #7 runner is specific to that cylinder. 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 8 are the same, however.
-Billet Fuel rails MUST be specific to the FAST 102 intake. The mount spacing is different. (I've found out the hard way)
-This manifold requires thicker injector 0-rings, also requires rail spacers in some instances.

Anyway.. I've got a question

My intake is hitting the LS6 steam vent in the front. I've bent it down and it still hits. Ideas? bend it back toward the rear of the engine?

MISC Links:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ts-inside.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...p-mock-up.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ls2-rails.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...so-inside.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...102-parts.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ake-build.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-102-tbs.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ween-fast.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ow-theory.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...le-bodies.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lots-pics.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...at-needed.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...n-egr-map.html

Last edited by bayer-z28; 09-16-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem. I cut the center section out of the tube, flared the remaining ends, and ran rubber hose between each section. It has worked perfectly for me for months.

Sorry for the cell phone pictures. Best I could do right now.

Last edited by Doobie52; 02-23-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Pictures Added
Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I have been reading a lot about this intake. I had one and sold it but was thinking about getting another one. After all the reading I am seriously considering getting a 92 if I can find one. I know people talk about how the 102 is a better design than the 92 but is it worth it? I can't seem to find a 92 to save my life right now actually.

I have talked to Mike Norris and Geoff@EPS who say pretty much everyone is having problems tuning the 102 T/B. Both say you need some ridiculously big engine to need a 102mm T/B. Norris suggested using a 92mm on it to eliminate any tuning problems.

I am not big of "official" threads and normally make fun of people who start them, but I would like to see this thread live for a while.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Teching In

+1^^^^^^^
Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is everyone? I've never heard of anyone having problems with the exception of the early DBW Vettes. GM High Tech just ran an article about cams using a 102/102 combo on the engine dyno, LPE uses a 102 on their 5th gen, TSP has never had a problem etc. The new designs have a hump on the bottom to let less air in at idle/low speeds to make tuning easier. But to answer your question OP the 102 can be ported for more gains by Tony Mamo at AFR. And to the other posters unless you find a 90 or 92 for dirt cheap (close to $400, not the 6-700 that most sell them for on here) its not worth losing out on the 102s better design for a hundred or so more
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hopefully Geoff will come in and post. I know Mike doesn't post much. Again, I am repeating what they told me. I have no first hand knowledge. I passed this info along because it would be like if Tony Mamo told me something. I would tend to believe it.

Hopefully this thread will help clear up some misconceptions about this intake and everyone will benefit from it.

I mean that's the whole point of tech right?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

I was told by my tuner to seal the halves together with sensor safe rtv. He said 50% of the ones coming thru his shop leak bad enough that they can't be tuned. Also said to use sealer around the intake port gaskets. I did as he told me just so I know I won't have trouble. After seperating the halves and seeing the seal they use I am glad he told this info. Seal looks and feels like just a piece of foam. I also decided to mount my map sensor where the egr would go since I am not using an egr. I have heard others say if you mount it on the back it is really close to the firewall. I was worried if the engine torqued any it may become an issue.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

could you use the LS3 steam tube? it has rubber in it and might fit a bit better

Last edited by sjsingle1; 02-24-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

When i installed mine it hit the oil pressure sensor and the water pump on my 402, had to grind for clearence. haven't tuned yet, are they having hard time tunning on 402's, i do have a 102 tb and 100mm maf.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could have my ported/epoxied to the max 92/92 setup forsale pm me if interested...

don't want to side track the thread, probably only worth a few hp going with a 102 over my 92/92 setup but I am bored and have to do something to the car this year lol

h/c setup made 495rwhp with an a4 346...you will now find another one like this...it was taken to the max...12 hrs of porting epoxying...also Tb is half shafted...

I will be making a thread in the forsale section soon, so you guys get first dibs...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

^ I can't wait to get mine tuned.. I want NUMBERS! And FWIW guys, the smaller MAF should make things easier on the tuner. IMO, the 100mm MAF is WAY too big. I'm going by what someone said in another thread that if you have a high velocity of air flowing over the MAF at part throttle, it will be aeasier for the PCM and tuner to pickup on fine changes in airflow. Bigger "pipe," same air flow = slower (100mm MAF)

And the manual DOES require you to put a small bead of RTV at the back corner of the intake (left rear when looking down at it.)

And anyway.. Here's some of my random pics I've been taking. My fuel lines are prolly gonna get "customized" so I don't have to get banged for a new set.

THIS is why this intake needs to be massaged. Even with just a sand roll and 320gt paper to smooth it. I didn't remove anything, just matched the runners to the lower.

Stock 102 ports in the lower are almost an EXACT Match to my P+P'd 243 heads! (Heads measured 1.016")

Partly assembled.

Moc-up.. Still waiting on LS6 Valley cover

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-25-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

One thing I would like to know is..After spending all the money for it and the rails,it still needs to be ported.Why? They should come with smooth ports from the get go.Lot of money to spend on something,and then it still has to be made "optimal" for best results.How much does it really cost to install it ? And what is the hp per $ ratio? I know we have to pay to play,and some of the cost is high due to R&D but if someone were to come out with a comparable piece for a comparable price,with nice ports.I mean come on the LS came out when? are we not going on 15 years and only one good plastic intake for it?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only proplem i had with my 102 was my heads are shaved and i had to grind down on my waterpump to get the intake to clear without hitting. other than that it went ever soo smoothly.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Tony Mamo,Im sure you will be looking at this thread soon. AFR With your new modular intakes for the SBC, is there any work that needs to be done to them? Maybe time for AFR to do an intake for the LS ? ?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
One thing I would like to know is..After spending all the money for it and the rails,it still needs to be ported.Why? They should come with smooth ports from the get go.Lot of money to spend on something,and then it still has to be made "optimal" for best results.How much does it really cost to install it ? And what is the hp per $ ratio? I know we have to pay to play,and some of the cost is high due to R&D but if someone were to come out with a comparable piece for a comparable price,with nice ports.I mean come on the LS came out when? are we not going on 15 years and only one good plastic intake for it?
I'm coming from an LS6 intake a ported stock TB. I asked my cam designer and he said that "Going from an LS6 intake to a FAST, the changes are going to be dramatic."

And if the intake came pre-smoothed, the price would prolly be higher. It can work fine in stock form, like mine. I didn't port ANYTHING. I just smoothed it over, and I do not have the tools or the kahones to reach into the runners with a sand roll. Just gotta have someone like Mamo do that. He knows what he's doing and he's done it a million times. I wasn't looking to port anything anyway, but there will almost always be room for improvement on any part. This is a "rough" piece that is also meant to work on a multitude of applications. So people can customize it as they need (But keep in mind, any time you alter the intake in anyway, you void the factory warranty.)

I'm also upgrading injectors since my stockers were at 87%, so technically I was running out of fuel.

This is going to be a ~25hp gain. Maybe 30, but we'll see..
Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1nasty86
only proplem i had with my 102 was my heads are shaved and i had to grind down on my waterpump to get the intake to clear without hitting. other than that it went ever soo smoothly.
How much were the heads shaved do you know?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Mass production and the production methods used for this intake is why it can be ported, but it isn't an absolute necessity. It's just like everything else in this world (well, most things)...it takes a little extra effort to get the most out of it.

Have you read the Weiand Street Warrior intake thread that was started on here a while back? They were promising an intake that would perform well and cost a good deal less than the FAST intake, and it never came to market. So far, no one can compete with FAST when it comes to a stock style intake that actually performs, and is why they can set the price wherever they want.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
So far, no one can compete with FAST when it comes to a stock style intake that actually performs, and is why they can set the price wherever they want.
Thats pisses me off. lol

Im really interested in the Edelbrock proflow, but I cant find any good threads on it.

Wish the FAST was cheaper.

I dont mind spending money, but to drop at least $800 on just an intake that needs a TB and rails along with it is hard to swallow
Old 02-24-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is true FAST has the market cornered. I am surprised no one else has released an intake but I guess there is only so many ways to make an intake and the cost would probably be the same.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a bolt on gto ls2 and did the fast 102, nw 102, 100mm maf and otrcai that is 100mm and my car runs like a champ. 2nd fastest bolt on gto. figuire i will port when its done being a bolt on car. it wasnät that hard to tune and drive perfect. it helped me run my 11.71 @ 117

Quick Reply: *General* FAST LSXr 102 thread