Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout for my exhaust ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cutout for my exhaust ???

Ok guys let me give you the low down on my Car, Its got bbk headers that go into the Lm1 and it goes striaght out the rear end. Now when i first got the headers i loved how it sounded straight out the y-pipe just nasty mean pure sex on wheels type of sound. Now i was wondering if i isntall a cutout would it give me that sound back or would i be wasting my money
Old 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a muffler? If so, putting on a cutout will give you a "straight pipe" sound with little to no exhaust gas going thru the muffler whenever the cutout is open. you could also expect better throttle response toward the WOT range. When the cutout is closed, all of the exhaust gas goes thru the muffler and it's a lot more quiet. Not sure if this answered your question or not. There are a ton of cutouts on the market that are quite reasonable IMO.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ummmm not really haha but atleast got some feed back. well i dont have the regular muffler i have the slp loudmouth 1 resonator. and its in the I-pipe. After my headers were isntalled the y-pipe was like MM's from the i-pipe so it had to get welded up together and omg that sound was soooooo naaaaaaaaaaasty and tahts what im looking for. and Im hoping installing a cutout right after teh y-pipe will bring that back when its opened.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Teching In

yes , putting a cutout right after the Y will be just like running how you were before , straight out the Y... i have the exact same set up exuast as you , and when i put the slp LM1 on the bbk headers and Y it dident change the sound a whole lot.

but if you like it then do it.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just ordered two DMH low profile electric cutouts for my trans am and I have LM1 with ebay headers ( I think BBK but not sure need to check). I love the way my exhaust sounds but it's not loud enough haha ! I mainly got the cutouts for more HP but I think i'm going to like it'll post a vid when I get them installed and car tuned.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice i just wanna open it up for fun and show off sometimes but i wanna see if ill have that nice open header sound
Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone that I talk to says lm1 is louder than a cut out because its not dumped under the car. Does your car have cats? LM1 + LT's + ORY is pretty much as loud as your going to get.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no theres no cats, and i was kind of dreading that it wouldnt be louder but i would hope i would get that sound of open headers
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill just get the cutout not the e-cutout and test it out what can i lose if i liek the sound ill just buy the electric 1 and wire it up and if not i cana just have it closed right? BASICALLY guys im just looking for that open header sound i had before i connected the y-pipe to the rest of the exhaust
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly the lm1 resonator does nothing to hold back any sound or power. I wouldnt waste my time with a cut out on your set up. Just my opinion though.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^This. A cutout is going to be pointless for you.