Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install Oil Temp gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone install Oil Temp gauge?

Im planning on installing an oil temp gauge in my camaro but not sure which route to go. Mechanical or electric? Also, where do I install it?

Im leaning towards electric and installing the sender above the oil filter on that cover plate. I just dont know how big the sender is since my header is really close. Is there a better place? Ive searched and all that shows up are oil pressure installs. Pics appreciated.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me2
i'm planning on install an oil pressure gauge but not sure where can i install it !!!!
any one guys
Old 03-05-2011, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...586&aid=618601

This shows locations for oil pres and water temp. I just dont know if the oil temp sensor is the same size of the pressure sensor. I dont think I have enough room if its too big.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

What headers do you have? I have an electric sender installed in the adapter above the oil filter and it fits fine with ARH headers. They're close though, so I wrapped the sender and wires with firesleeve.

BobP
Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Generally, an oil temp sender is much smaller than an oil pressure sensor in terms of the over all size, where the threaded end itself can be the same size. It will fit above the oil filter. However, you're gonna want to cover the sender w/ some heat wrap or you'll get a false temperature reading from the header. I've had one mounted there for seems like forever without issue once it was shielded.

Definately, use an electric sender.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Generally, an oil temp sender is much smaller than an oil pressure sensor in terms of the over all size, where the threaded end itself can be the same size. It will fit above the oil filter. However, you're gonna want to cover the sender w/ some heat wrap or you'll get a false temperature reading from the header. I've had one mounted there for seems like forever without issue once it was shielded.

Definately, use an electric sender.
This guy has clearly been there, done that. I installed an electric sender above the oil filter using the appropriate Corvette part number along with adapter, and it was fine aside from the high readings after a brief time at WOT due to header heat. A heat sleeve over the sender fixed that issue, and it has been fine ever since.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. Hesitant on clicking the checkout button on something I dont know if its going to work. Im going to be taking the car out of storage soon and going to wrap the headers (hooker) and install this guage. Cant wait for some laps around the road course this summer!!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this sounds cheesey but they make an oil filter sandwich unit. It treads in where your filter goes and drops your filter one inch. I have one on my car and works great. Tge only place I could find one was glowshift.com. It has 4 threaded holes in it. your sensor can screw into one and it comes with bolts to plug the others. You have to put tephloyon tape on them though as well as get a big enough metric socket to tighten the unit to the orginal oil filter threads. Once you do this your set. Put the filter on and fire it up. The only one suggestion is if you go this way use rtv between the unit and the block. I didnt and blew all my oil out. But I fixed it now. No leaks or problems and it is my DD. Itll cost you arount 25-30 dollars but well work it.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
9 Second Club

Definatly go with an electric gauge.
I'm adding one also, along with an oil cooler. I am replacing the factory adapter above the oil filter with either the mocal or lingenfelter oil cooler adapter. I have both and I just need to see how much room there is for my cooler lines. I'm just waiting for my sensor adapter to show up and I can start getting things installed.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frozen WS6
Definatly go with an electric gauge.
I'm adding one also, along with an oil cooler. I am replacing the factory adapter above the oil filter with either the mocal or lingenfelter oil cooler adapter. I have both and I just need to see how much room there is for my cooler lines. I'm just waiting for my sensor adapter to show up and I can start getting things installed.
Sounds awesome! I was considering oil cooler lines too, figured I get a gauge first to see if the oil is getting hot enough to need the cooler. If you think of it, do mind posting pics after your install?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
9 Second Club

This is for my black car which is a 9 second street car. My track has demanded that if you run faster then 10.0 you had to have an engine diaper. So my theory is that driving an hour to the track with the oil pan covered by a thick blanket and cutting off the air cooling aspect and insulating the oil pan. It will allow the oil to get hot. So maybe I'm being cautious. But with the mocal having the built in thermostat it will regulate the temps nicely, since oil will not be allowed to flow through the cooler unless it gets above 180 degrees.

So I may have one of these oil cooler adapters forsale when I'm done with the install.

My plan is to do up a thread with pics after I get started installing things. I have a few pics of the cooler, gauge, oil cooler adapters. I have to see what fittings I'll need to make my steelbraded lines with, which is going to be determined by which adapter block I use.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by CLRD4TO
Sounds awesome! I was considering oil cooler lines too, figured I get a gauge first to see if the oil is getting hot enough to need the cooler. If you think of it, do mind posting pics after your install?
Here's a link to the new thread I started.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-install.html
Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Nice install, thanks for posting. Will be following your thread, Im curious myself if the blanket is going to cook the oil or not. Noticed your post about the oil filter being difficult to remove, dont know the part number off the top of my head but I run the longer ones, sticks past the pan about an inch. Just gotta match width and thread pitch.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by CLRD4TO
Nice install, thanks for posting. Will be following your thread, Im curious myself if the blanket is going to cook the oil or not. Noticed your post about the oil filter being difficult to remove, dont know the part number off the top of my head but I run the longer ones, sticks past the pan about an inch. Just gotta match width and thread pitch.
Thanks, feel free to ask any questions if you need something clarified or better pics.
I looked into those filters. I stay with the stock one for ground clearance and protection. 1 inch longer will put it level or lower then my headers and I've scraped those on a small speed bump once. That's also why I didn't get a sandwich style oil cooler adapter.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 PM

Default Glow shift sandwich on chevy 350

I just purchased glow shift sandwich adapter. Its says oil filter gasket must be ni more than 3 inch diameter. The standard filter is 3.1. What filter can i use that is 3 inch gasket for this. Its a 350 350 hp motor chevy corvette 1981.

Quick Reply: Anyone install Oil Temp gauge?