Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has LTs, Ypipe, with Flowmaster catback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has LTs, Ypipe, with Flowmaster catback?

I have flowmaster and love how it sounds as is.....I recently added 3:73 gears and it sounds even better, but it also sounds like it's maxed out on sound quality..meaning: If I add lts and an ory I think it will create maybe a raspy or drone sound...I really don't want to get rid of my 1 yr old catback, but I also don't to be forced to do it because of shitty sound quality...
Someone has to have this setup or has had it...really need help on this one.

Thinking the texas speed Lt /ory combo with a flowmaster merge...possibly a bullet if needed....what do you guy's think...looking only from those who have or had this setup....
Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have LT's, TSP 3" Y, Magnaflow cats, and a 40 series muffler. It sounds great. Its mellow driving around and loud when you want it to be. I want louder so ill be getting a lm1 soon.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

I had a flowmaster catback on mine with LT's and O/R Y... I hated it... I switched to borla and it made my car sound 100 x's better!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my flowmaster still on my car with pacesetters and a tsp ory. I like it. And it sounds good. But I want something deeper
Old 03-05-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

You have to figure it out for yourself. What I think sounds good, you might think sounds bad. As far as volume goes its loud at start up and wot, every where else is fairly mild.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Well I have two 80 series, one in my 87 with a 350HO crate engine and hooker headers. My 99 also has Hooker Lts, ORY, and 3" flowmaster catback.

While I feel flowmasters sound better on GenI, It does sound pretty good in my Z28. It scares little children at startup and screams at WOT, but its rather liveable just driving it around. Not overbearing unless you start really getting into the throttle.

FWIW, I really like the hooker aerochamber also. If it hadn't been on the car already I prolly woulda went with the hooker. But, I do have the hooker dual tips, lol...
Old 03-05-2011, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Mine didn't really change much as far as loudness and sound quality after my LT's and o/r y went on. I was a bit dissapointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLTd3SKibc
A vid after my LT's and O/R Y was installed.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ Mine wasnt any louder at idle but once you got on the gas it was 5x louder at least.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dee99gt
Mine didn't really change much as far as loudness and sound quality after my LT's and o/r y went on. I was a bit dissapointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLTd3SKibc
A vid after my LT's and O/R Y was installed.
You said it didn't change much..but you also said you hated it...I'm taking it you hated it before you even had the lt/orys?

I know about flowmaster/chokemaster supposed horrible flow rate.....I don't care...I'll sacrifice what... 4or5 hp for great sound...I like the sound of damm near all catbacks..I don't hate on anyones setup..I wish I could drive with a different catback everday.....The problem with flowmaster imao is when it gets alotta air....I think it can drone....Thats what I'm worried about...The fact that you said it didn't change much sounds ok to me thus far....All I know is with the 3:73s...cruising rpms go up/tone gets droned with higher speeds.. But what didn't you like about it????
Old 03-05-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just kinda wanna know what to expect...If everyone say's "yeah...I did or have that and it sounded horrible"...I'll plan my budget around getting a new catback after the install....If more say... "It didn't change that much, sounds the same/better" I'll plan accordingly for that situation" That's where the all help is appreciated..tks guys
Old 03-05-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

If your worried about the flow add a cut out. Overall I really like how the flowmasters sound. Im just bored with mine because I have had one on my last three cars.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
If your worried about the flow add a cut out. Overall I really like how the flowmasters sound. Im just bored with mine because I have had one on my last three cars.
It's the quality AND sound of the flow I'm worried about.....flow is one thing..sure it will flow better....but if it comes with a shitty sound... that's a huge problem.....I love the sound of mine right now...I worry if lts and ory will ruin/drone the **** outta my flowmaster...
Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by justin hover
It's the quality AND sound of the flow I'm worried about.....flow is one thing..sure it will flow better....but if it comes with a shitty sound... that's a huge problem.....I love the sound of mine right now...I worry if lts and ory will ruin/drone the **** outta my flowmaster...
It will be fine I wouldnt worry.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

It didn't sound that bad before my LT's. It was quiet and I prefer a louder exhaust. I was not concerned about the flow, it was the sound. To me it didn't have a deep exhaust sound to it. I had never had flowmasters on any of my cars except my SS and only cause I needed something quick so I paid 100 bucks for it. I did notice after I had my borla installed some of my rattling problems went away. I'm just telling you from my experience from having the flows on my car. Not everyone is going to view things the sameway.

in car clip of the flows..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNm2gGZdyDA
Old 03-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I have Mac-mids with ORY and flowmaster. I get compliments all the time from people saying it sounds good.

I personally hate it, can't drive anywhere without people hearing you and the drone is bad, I set off a car alarm at Wal-mart by just starting it up.

I just bought an SLP dual/dual muffler to replace it.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dee99gt
It didn't sound that bad before my LT's. It was quiet and I prefer a louder exhaust. I was not concerned about the flow, it was the sound. To me it didn't have a deep exhaust sound to it. I had never had flowmasters on any of my cars except my SS and only cause I needed something quick so I paid 100 bucks for it. I did notice after I had my borla installed some of my rattling problems went away. I'm just telling you from my experience from having the flows on my car. Not everyone is going to view things the sameway.

in car clip of the flows..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNm2gGZdyDA
yeah...something tells me I'm gonna be in the same boat you were....with just the gears alone, rpms of course go up while driving which in turn, kinda takes away from the deep tone....gives it more of a rich/higher tone..still sounds good but it's deffinetly drone border line...I was kinda expecting the headers/ory to maintain it's tone...but just alittle louder...now I kinda understand why you were disapointed....Think I just got my answer...I'll have to try the setup regardless...but now I'll keep immidiate money on hand for an emergency catback...I too like the sound of borla.....hopefully I'm not disapointed and love the setup. tks for your input..
Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

You really cant go by the videos try to find one and listen to it in person. Different phones/cams/speakers really mess with the sound.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
You really cant go by the videos try to find one and listen to it in person. Different phones/cams/speakers really mess with the sound.
Good point.

You can always switch it out after the LTs if you decide you don't like the flows. I really want true duals, but i'm really happy with how mine sounds now and I don't want to mess with it and regret it.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had magnamouth and it was awfull. im going to take my lm1 off and run it right off the headers well see how long that last
Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna have to do it anyway..considering I already have the catback ...just wanted opinions of those who had this setup...I'll just make sure to have money on hand in case I hate it...Theirs a race distributer 10 miles from me they carry mostly all name brand catbacks....It's what I expected outta flowmaster...sounds good when everything else is stock..but I was affraid when you start giving it more air that it might drone/rasp...If that is the case, which it will only take a few miles of driving to find out....I'll just switch it out..tks guy's.