Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPP True Dual Installation Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPP True Dual Installation Issues.

Hey Guys,

Just received my true dual system the other day and I am working on installing it, however, I'm having some issues.

Mind you, I'm using Pacesetter LT's and I purchased the x-pipe used and welded instead of clamps.

The most I can seem to get the x-pipe onto the headers is about 1". Even though it's not far on the pipe, it appears as though the indentations on the frame match up perfectly.

I've got to push/pull on the headers at first to get them both on. What appears as though it's keeping me from getting the X-Pipe on further is the bottom of the TA and the fuel lines.

Anyone have any suggestions to get the X-Pipe fully on? It appears as though the tubing is tapered several inches into the beginning of the x-pipe, but am curious is the entire tapered area needs to be on the headers.

Thanks,

Derek
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Launching!

1" is probably about the minimum. You can turn the fuel line brackets 180* and clip the lines back into them to gain more clearance. Can't really help with the torq arm... I went aftermarket.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see some pictures after you get it installed.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Derek, X-Ray has the LPP TD's on his ride. He can probably help you out if you PM him.
He also has some pretty detailed pics of it installed also.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I don't know much because I paid someone else to do it, reason being I was having the transmission dropped and rebuilt at the same time, which I have no idea how to do, so I just paid him to put my motor mounts and exhaust on too while he was down there.

I used the LPP headers, clamps, and Spohn Solid motor mounts, and the guy that put it all on said it was pretty easy, so I really can't help. If I ran into the same problem as you I'd be confused too. I usually just get furious, try to force things, and break stuff, lol.

I've actually only got one picture of it installed on the car. I've attached it.
Attached Thumbnails LPP True Dual Installation Issues.-p1030563.jpg  
Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Derek,

The only time I noticed those TDs hitting the TA was when the rear suspension was totally hanging free. If you are using jack stands jack the rear at the differential and place the jack stands under the axle. That should get the TA out of the way.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Just got the exhaust put on today after a nice week of vacation.

The furthest I could get it on was about an inch and a quarter with a nice 3 pound sledge hammer.

Now, after getting it all together and tightened, I'm getting a squeaking sound coming from the exhaust? Sound like a belt squeaking, however it is not a belt.

Any ideas for that? Maybe one of the band clamps not tightened enough?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Everything is put back together, and ground clearance is horrid... I think it's time to get rid of the pro kit. Have about a 1/2 inch of clearance and rocks make me bottom out.

Here's some pictures, donno why they're upside down though, just imageshack I suppose:

And 3 videos:

[youtube]p_Y43olCsSs[/youtube]
[youtube]186EhPkAQJo[/youtube]
[youtube]px7ib0_B6Ic[/youtube]

I do get the occasional backfire in between shifts and down shifting, hoping that maybe a tune would fix that. It's loud to the point I can't differentiate backfires unless it's a loud backfire. I think I get a backfire everytime I shift regardless of RPM.

Overall, what do you guys think? The videos don't do the tone justice.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds pretty damn good. I think it sounds better than the mufflers the LPP comes with. What's a "pro kit"? Lowering kit? My ground clearance isn't too bad at stock ride height.
Attached Thumbnails LPP True Dual Installation Issues.-p1040108.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Oh sorry, yes, Eibach Pro-Kit. Any little bump in the road causes it to scrape a bit. Nothing TOO bad yet, however, I'd rather be safe then sorry. Maybe I should remove the strapping I bolted to that empty bolt hole on the stock TA? I figured if it flexed with the suspension it'd be a good thing. Maybe I'm wrong?

I have to somehow make sure the drivers collector/x-pipe is sealed. It's on a slight angle due to the bends in the piping not having the ability to connect properly. It's on about a good 1 1/4", just hope those scrapes didnt pull it off at all. I'll properly readjust it next weekend and make sure it's still up to the 1 1/4" mark and tighten down the clamps even more.

I switched to U-Clamps... The 3-Inch Accuseals I bought bottomed out before it was even clamped tightly. Fully tightened I could easily twist the bullets off.

You didn't happen to catch any exhaust leaks by hearing the idle portion, did you?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't hear anything unusual, but it's hard to tell from a video and a really loud exhaust

I forgot to mention I'm actually ready to take mine off and put the stock back on. I'm just really sick of the interior noise from dumps, and also the hangers keep breaking from bottoming out. If I'd do an aftermarket setup again, it would either be the 3" Y, 4" merge, 4" catback from Mufflex, or the super expensive Kooks true dual system. I don't want to have such a low exhaust again. Can't imagine being lowered with it too!