Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High flowing yet not obnoxiously loud mufflers, do they go together?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High flowing yet not obnoxiously loud mufflers, do they go together?

Im looking for mufflers to use for my true dual set up, but I cant figure out which ones to go with. I have read all the threads that ask best mufflers for duals and whatnot. Yet, Im wondering which mufflers will flow really well, but not be too loud. It seems the most flowing mufflers are the loudest. I dont want anything too loud, but I dont want anything too quiet. I want it to sound good at idle, good at part throttle, and then unleashed at WOT. Im not looking for the straight through sound, but Im not looking for the sleeper sound either. I just dont want it to sound like a red neck truck. (basically longtubes, off-road pipes, y-pipe, and Loudmouth/straight through muffler) I just dont want all the popping sound with off-road pipes. I have a buddy running long tubes, off-road y-pipe, and Borla...it too has that poppy sound at part throttle. I'd like to run off-road pipes as often as I can, but I dont want noise. Which mufflers will flow good, but wont give that poppy sound? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would personally look at another way to get the right sound. Use the bullet mufflers but add high flow cats to your ORY. That way you can get the noise and rasp under control while making your car smell better. That's what I plan to do anyway. I honestly think that HF cats are your answer but if your set on every last HP possible then you can look at this response as a ttt.

Maybe someone can chime in with a muffler suggestion. But I agree it's unfortunate that the highest flowing are always the loudest. I like being loud at times but at 2am with a cop behind me I'd rather be stealthy enough to avoid the ticket.

Good Luck
Old 02-17-2004, 09:20 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borla XR-1's, Magnaflow, and Edeldbrock RPM mufflers are all options for ya.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

the dynomax ultraflows are pretty damn quiet as well. that's what all of my buddies run and i will be shortly as well. they are a little raspy though, so they might not be for you.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Borla XR-1's, Magnaflow, and Edeldbrock RPM mufflers are all options for ya.
I know that the Borla XR-1s are a bullet style muffler, but what about the Magnaflow and Edelbrock RPM muffers, are they bullet style as well?

Originally Posted by KGSloan
the dynomax ultraflows are pretty damn quiet as well. that's what all of my buddies run and i will be shortly as well. they are a little raspy though, so they might not be for you.
I know that Dynomax has a lot of different styles of bullet mufflers, would the Ultraflow be the choice for me between all of them? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:19 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnaflow = oval.
Edelbrock = true rectangular muffler with a 3 5/8" profile (very shallow, that's good).
Old 02-18-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

This thread has about 3 different muffler comparisons, and one with hp and decibel readings.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ler+comparison

Should probably be archived or stickied with the exhaust thread.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hooker Max Flows are very mild at idle & cruise, but they are a bit on the big side for fitting under our cars w/o ground clearance issues. I had a dynomax 18" long bullet on my car w/ the ORY and it was unbearable, I switched to a single In/Out Max Flow and the car is much more liveable. However... in my quest for it to be more quiet, I am about to switch to an SLP dual/dual muffler & tail pipes. The Max Flow on my car is fine now w/ my stock manifolds - but I fear it might be too loud & attract johnny law when I add LT's in a few months. I have oval piping & duals on my other ar w/ spin techs - it has great ground clearance, but is a bit loud at WOT and idle. However, it's not that loud inside the car. It seems as though w/o some floorpan surgery, we're kinda stuck when it comes to mufflers.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have true duals all the way out the back with edebrocks and as soon as a buddy heard it he was on the phone with Jegs. very mellow at cruise an screams at WOT. interior noise is also minnamal. last Sat. i pulled 440 rwhp and 408 rwtq through them with a 12 bolt, 4:30s, and 18x10 V1s with 315s. i have had many different exhaust setups and this is by far the best.