Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Flow Question, Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mass Air Flow Question, Please help.

Hello, all. I am building a 2006 5.3l L33. 10.1 Compresion, The heads are CNC ported and polished, 212/218 114lsa high lift cam, fast 102mm lsxr intake, 90mm LS2 DBW throttle body, and Black Bear performance tune.

Now that specs are out of the way. I need to find a new Mass Air Flo Sensor that will not restrict flow. I see that l Texas Speed and Lingenfelter make a 100MM. I dont think I will need a 100mm MAF. I have searched a lot for MM diameters on the other aftermarket MAFs but very few have the inside diameter posted. I am looking for advice on what to run that will match the 90mm DBW. Has anyone just used the LS2 or LS3 MAF with this combo? Any advice if you have allready done this to your car would be appreciated.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use an LS2 MAF as long as it is compatible with your PCM. The MAF table will need to be re-scaled to match the modified airflow conditions. Cannot use an LS3 MAF unless your controller (PCM) is compatible w/it, which is doubtful. Another option would be a speed density tune w/ no MAF.

For reference, a 102mm FAST is not required for a 5.3l build. The engine does not move enough air to reach the full benefit of the intake.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Teching In

I know dont need a Fast 102, I would be happy with a Fast 92 but I cannot find one. By looking at the other post on here I am not the only one looking for the 92mm. With the build I wanted a larger TB and the LS2 DBW that I bought is a 4 bolt design. I am dumping the truck intake that came on the engine and I am shopping for a Intake that is 4 Bolt and it seems the 102 is it. I have looked at the Typhoon but I haven't seen any good posts on it.

Either way I go the MAS would be the restriction point of the CAI. With this being a DD I wanted to retain it. Once all said and installed into the chassis I am going to have to have it redynoed anyway, so tuning is not an issue. Thanks

If anyone has a Fast 92 they want to sell PM me.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a $40 truck maf off fleabay......
Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Anthony.Shumaker
I know dont need a Fast 102, I would be happy with a Fast 92 but I cannot find one. By looking at the other post on here I am not the only one looking for the 92mm. With the build I wanted a larger TB and the LS2 DBW that I bought is a 4 bolt design. I am dumping the truck intake that came on the engine and I am shopping for a Intake that is 4 Bolt and it seems the 102 is it. I have looked at the Typhoon but I haven't seen any good posts on it.

Either way I go the MAS would be the restriction point of the CAI. With this being a DD I wanted to retain it. Once all said and installed into the chassis I am going to have to have it redynoed anyway, so tuning is not an issue. Thanks

If anyone has a Fast 92 they want to sell PM me.

Actually, your biggest issue will be the runner size of the FAST intake. The large runners are gonna slow the air down & make less HP/TQ than an LS6 intake will, on a 5.3l engine. 102mm, 92mm, stock size MAF won't matter, the runner size is the issue. An LS6 intake w/ an LS2 MAF will make more HP/TQ than a FAST will, on a 5.3l engine.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Teching In

The only problem with LS6 intake is that it is a 3 bolt design. I cannot run my 90mm Throttle body on it with out a reduction adapter. If I were to do that what is the sense of running a 90mm throttle body as the intake will not allow that much air anyway?

I have looked into a LS2 intake 4 bolt design 90MM opening, but they do not make as much as a stock ls6 with 78MM throttle body untill high RPM's . I do not plan on using the engine above 6000 very often.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

The only problem with LS6 intake is that it is a 3 bolt design. I cannot run my 90mm Throttle body on it with out a reduction adapter. If I were to do that what is the sense of running a 90mm throttle body as the intake will not allow that much air anyway?

I have looked into a LS2 intake 4 bolt design 90MM opening, but they do not make as much as a stock ls6 with 78MM throttle body untill high RPM's . I do not plan on using the engine above 6000 very often.

Funneling into an intake is preferred & an LS6 intake will flow what a 90mm TB will send through it regardless of the fact that it is stepped down. It will actually flow better due to the reduced pressure drop in front of the plenum. Not running above 6000 RPM is all the more reason to use an LS6 intake. A typhoon will also flow similarly to an LS6 intake if the typhoon is more to your liking. Yah, stay away from the LS2 intake. When ported, they can be OK, but that's another story.

You're still best off stepping down the 90mm on the LS6 intake. The LS6 can also have the mouth opened up &/or there is the TPIS option LS6 intake.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Teching In

So, I did some more research. My combo will be a Stock 85mm MAF, LS2 DBW 90mm throttle body, and either a FAST LSXRT, Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT LS2, or the TPIS option LS6 intake. This is going into a Jeep so hood clearance is not an issue. I have seen alot of post on each of them, the hardest part is deciding which? Each has it own benifit, ???what to do.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

So, I did some more research. My combo will be a Stock 85mm MAF, LS2 DBW 90mm throttle body, and either a FAST LSXRT, Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT LS2, or the TPIS option LS6 intake. This is going into a Jeep so hood clearance is not an issue. I have seen alot of post on each of them, the hardest part is deciding which? Each has it own benifit, ???what to do.

I am one of a handful of guys on here of whom have tested intakes, mounted to the engine & measured the resulting airflow & pressure. Can't spek to the Edelbrock, cuz' I haven't tested it. As to the LS6 TPIS (or larger inlet opening), it will peform better than the FAST on a 5.3L engine. The FAST starts to shine on a modded a 5.7L LS engine & is @ its' best on larger than 5.7L LS engines; especially above 6K RPM. So, if you find that Edelbrock testing is better on 5.3L cubes up to 6K RPM, then I'd use it, otherwise it would be the TPIS LS6 intake for me.

Quick Reply: Mass Air Flow Question, Please help.