Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues after intake, injectors, mail order tune......

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after intake, injectors, mail order tune......

I did a few mods at once: ls6 intake, 36lb injectors, P&P TB, pcv and pcv tubing, mail order tune

I know it takes awhile for the car to "learn" after a new tune. I drove the car for about ~100 miles multiple starts and stops, etc...

When driving the car it would accelerate by itself and maintain speed when you let off the gas.

After 100 miles or so it came up with codes p0340, p0171, and p0174.

The car began running TERRIBLE. It idles very rough, like it is on 7 cylinders (hard to keep idleing have to maintain giving it gas). It pops and cracks from the exhaust as well as under the hood. I drove it from my driveway to the garage and it was sputtering and bucking.

I then found a small intake leak above cylinder four. I removed the intake and fixed the pcv vacuum leak and fixed the intake leak as well. I also moved injector, coil, plug wire, and spark plug to cylinder two.

I then drove the car back from the garage to my driveway, it barely made it the 200 feet. It was still stuttering and bucking, had to give it half throttle to move, etc. There are no SES lights on at the moment but I am assuming because the car was only driven 200 feet.

Any ideas?

Last edited by 1998flamedCamaro; 03-19-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check around the intake manifold and also the PCV system.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Drove the car alittle longer and now it is showing a P0304 code, from what I am reading that is either a dead injector (atleast I hope) or something dropped into cylinder 4 while doing the intake install.

Still think there may be a vacuum leak in pcv system somewhere as well.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

I switched out coils, plug wires, injector, unistalled intake and reinstalled.

Still showing P0304 and I hear a slight tick that sounds like it is coming from cyl 4. I am going to assume there is a very high chance something dropped intake cyl 4 during intake install.....

Is this a complete engine rebuild situation? What will I have to remove to inspect for damage ?
When it comes to engine internals I am a complete newb.

Last edited by 1998flamedCamaro; 03-19-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:05 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0304 is a misfire code for that cylinder. I know you said you swapped the coil, plug wire, injector...did you try a new spark plug?

You could also start with just pulling the valve cover off and taking a look-see at the springs, etc.

Is the "hissing" sound you mentioned in the first post still there?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

You did NOT ruin the engine or drop anything in it. Seriously you can fix this for 3 bucks.

Go to the store and buy some brake cleaner, spray it around the intake, TB, and all vac hoses. When the idle surges you found your vac leak, simply tighten or attach anything that is loose. viola!

Please just buy some brake clean before you do anything else, better yet, buy a vac gauge!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you change the plugs or wires by any chance? You have headers? Could be a burnt plug wire, loose wire, fouled plug from install.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
You did NOT ruin the engine or drop anything in it. Seriously you can fix this for 3 bucks.

Go to the store and buy some brake cleaner, spray it around the intake, TB, and all vac hoses. When the idle surges you found your vac leak, simply tighten or attach anything that is loose. viola!

Please just buy some brake clean before you do anything else, better yet, buy a vac gauge!
Do you think I am stupid.... I already tried that. Just messing with you thanks for having me double check.

I did do that earlier and I couldn't tell any change in rpms. But I couldn't watch the tach while I was spraying and I couldn't tell a difference.

I had my brother sit in the car and watch the tach when I spray and sure enough he said it raises about 200-250 rpms when spraying the intake right at cyl 4.

Are the gaskets the same on the ls1 and ls6 intakes? If so I am going to take it back off and install my old ls1 gaskets and see if that fixes the issue. The intake bolts at cyl 4 are tight and I dont want to chance breaking the intake by over tightening

Last edited by 1998flamedCamaro; 03-20-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:06 PM

sounds like a vac leak to me. how does the car idle? is it throwing any codes for running lean
Old 03-19-2011, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Here is updated info, also update first post with this info:

I did a few mods at once: ls6 intake, 36lb injectors, P&P TB, pcv and pcv tubing, mail order tune

I know it takes awhile for the car to "learn" after a new tune. I drove the car for about ~100 miles multiple starts and stops, etc...

When driving the car it would accelerate by itself and maintain speed when you let off the gas.

After 100 miles or so it came up with codes p0340, p0171, and p0174.

The car began running TERRIBLE. It idles very rough, like it is on 7 cylinders (hard to keep idleing have to maintain giving it gas). It pops and cracks from the exhaust as well as under the hood. I drove it from my driveway to the garage and it was sputtering and bucking.

I then found a small intake leak above cylinder four. I removed the intake and fixed the pcv vacuum leak and fixed the intake leak as well. I also moved injector, coil, plug wire, and spark plug to cylinder two.

I then drove the car back from the garage to my driveway, it barely made it the 200 feet. It was still stuttering and bucking, had to give it half throttle to move, etc. There are no SES lights on at the moment but I am assuming because the car was only driven 200 feet.

Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

gaskets are the same. did you re-use the LS1 intake gaskets on the LS6 or buy new ones ?

#4 injector fully seated in head ?

crack in manifold ?

i was thinking a faulty IAC valve at first but i guess it's revolving around cyl #4
Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by boostedbird38
gaskets are the same. did you re-use the LS1 intake gaskets on the LS6 or buy new ones ?

#4 injector fully seated in head ?

crack in manifold ?

i was thinking a faulty IAC valve at first but i guess it's revolving around cyl #4
Ls6 manifold came with gaskets so I used them first, there was a small leak at cyl 4 of intake. Removed intake then used gaskets from my ls1 intake. At that point and time I could not find an intake leak.

Yes #4 injector is fully seated.

I am not sure if the P0304 code was from the small intake leak or not, I didn't want to drive the car to pull new codes because it is running so bad.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

You wont believe what I discovered today while I was double checking everything.... I was sold "pink top" 19lb injectors as "red top" 30lb injectors. I just double checked EVERYTHING I did and I decided to run the part numbers on the injectors to make sure they were correct.

Now I need to know what would be the outcome of running a car tuned for 30lb injectors on 19lb injectors for rougly 100 miles. Just a shame people will sell you parts as one thing and them be another, always best to double check when buying used parts anyways so it is on me.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
You wont believe what I discovered today while I was double checking everything.... I was sold "pink top" 19lb injectors as "red top" 30lb injectors. I just double checked EVERYTHING I did and I decided to run the part numbers on the injectors to make sure they were correct.

Now I need to know what would be the outcome of running a car tuned for 30lb injectors on 19lb injectors for rougly 100 miles. Just a shame people will sell you parts as one thing and them be another, always best to double check when buying used parts anyways so it is on me.
No detrimental effects, might just run like ****!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to FIC and get the right part.