Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question???

I'm good with a torch and welder, can use a screwdriver for it's unintended purposes like chisel/prybar/scrapper, but I am not a smallblock guru.
I bought a used LS but it is missing the chrome tubes under the intake. I have heard they go to the Throttle Body as a preheater. The question is, if I an not going to preheat the TB, can I just tap and plug the 4 small holes in the corner of the heads?
That said, is there a "Hot Rodding an LS for Dumbies" book out there yet?
Thanks in advance... Chris
Old 03-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Im running a carb setup on my lm7. When I got the motor straight out of the tahoe, the rear tube holes were already blocked off with factory plates. The front however, was still conected with a tube running to the TB, I just cut off the upward tube, and welded the hole in. No issues to date, been like this for over a year now. I do however still have the forward line connected to the front of each cylinder head... Hope this helps
Old 03-20-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need these ,they are the top of the cooling system.these lines help coolant pass through the head and work out air in the coolant system.you can by pass the TB .get some ls6 coolant lines from TSP.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

I dont want to come off sounding like a NON, but who/what is TSP?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Texas Speed & Performance.
And this is what you need. You don't need to connect the TB, just sent the head tube right to the radiator under the filler neck.
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=242&catid=5

Oh, and I see you're in CT. Check out J&M Motorsports in Manchester if you need a local dyno tune!

Last edited by bayer-z28; 03-20-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the point in the right direction. My only issue is that I am working on a combination of manufacturers as GM made the engine and Mazda made the car. I bought a Griffin radiator that was built to the Miata size with GM hose locations so I should be able to "T" this into the burp bottle hose.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Yeah.. no problem. I'm sure you've seen our Hybrid section here too.. For putting LS-Anything into anything. lol. They cover a LOT in there.