Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric cut out valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electric cut out valve

I bought a manual cut out a few yrs back qtp 3'' I believe .. I'm getting lazy now and my car is lowered so I need the electric valve.. Anyone know the cheapest place to ge the valve only?? Can any other electric valve be used or does it have to be a qtp valve??? Oh and any write ups out there?? Thanks..
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

no one knows where to get the cheapest valve around??

will a dmh electric valve work with my qtp cut out??
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe most cutouts fit each other the , DMH says they fit the borla adjustable plate so im sure it will fit your QTP.

here is DMH site.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

also i noticed you have magnaflow , i do as well im ordering longtubes and an eletric cutout next friday, how do you like the sound open and closed ? im most likely getting high flow cats because i live in new jersey and they are strict on emissions. just hope that the high flow and longtubes louden it up a bit when the cutout is closed and not just open.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the DMH valve works with the QTP cutout, that's what I got.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
I bought a manual cut out a few yrs back qtp 3'' I believe .. I'm getting lazy now and my car is lowered so I need the electric valve.. Anyone know the cheapest place to ge the valve only?? Can any other electric valve be used or does it have to be a qtp valve??? Oh and any write ups out there?? Thanks..
Our valve works best with our y pipe. If you have any questions feel free to give us a call.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
i believe most cutouts fit each other the , DMH says they fit the borla adjustable plate so im sure it will fit your QTP.

here is DMH site.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

also i noticed you have magnaflow , i do as well im ordering longtubes and an eletric cutout next friday, how do you like the sound open and closed ? im most likely getting high flow cats because i live in new jersey and they are strict on emissions. just hope that the high flow and longtubes louden it up a bit when the cutout is closed and not just open.
I love the sound when my cut out is open but after a while it gets annoying .. Closed with magnaflow sounds too tame in my opinion. Being that I have a manual cut out I used to put some washers in between the cut out and plate so it would be 1/4 opened..
Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar setup and share similar thoughts on the sound -- I typically leave my cutout 30 - 50% open....just enough to get the additional volume (and it makes the cam lope MUCH more noticeable) without having to deal with the rasp.

(I may get crucified for saying this about a sponsor) I have a QTP electric cutout -- they're easily the best known company that makes the cutouts. On a positive note, I've had it for years and the motor that drives the blade works like a charm. On a not so positive note, the part of the valve that connects to the motor is rounded out and the motor simply spins and doesn't move the valve -- I first encountered this issue a couple months after it was professionally installed. Ever since this started happening, to fix it requires me to take it off of the car, find a way to tighten the blade down as good as I can and then put it back on and hope it doesn't happen again soon. Royal PITA however outside of that it works well.

When I finally get tired of fixing this I'll probably just buy a DMH and hope for a better experience. There's a trade off -- QTP is the most well-known and well staffed but their "guarantee" sucks. DMH is the opposite end of the spectrum -- their "guarantee" is the best out there but it comes with the understanding that they're a smaller operation and can sometimes be difficult to get on the phone.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I have a similar setup and share similar thoughts on the sound -- I typically leave my cutout 30 - 50% open....just enough to get the additional volume (and it makes the cam lope MUCH more noticeable) without having to deal with the rasp.

(I may get crucified for saying this about a sponsor) I have a QTP electric cutout -- they're easily the best known company that makes the cutouts. On a positive note, I've had it for years and the motor that drives the blade works like a charm. On a not so positive note, the part of the valve that connects to the motor is rounded out and the motor simply spins and doesn't move the valve -- I first encountered this issue a couple months after it was professionally installed. Ever since this started happening, to fix it requires me to take it off of the car, find a way to tighten the blade down as good as I can and then put it back on and hope it doesn't happen again soon. Royal PITA however outside of that it works well.

When I finally get tired of fixing this I'll probably just buy a DMH and hope for a better experience. There's a trade off -- QTP is the most well-known and well staffed but their "guarantee" sucks. DMH is the opposite end of the spectrum -- their "guarantee" is the best out there but it comes with the understanding that they're a smaller operation and can sometimes be difficult to get on the phone.
4yr warranty for dmh, compared to 90 day i think i saw for qtp..hmmmm

any install guides for the dmh valve???
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

DMH is very simple, just bolt it up and run your wires to a 12V switched source and put your switch wherever you want it to be.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I have a similar setup and share similar thoughts on the sound -- I typically leave my cutout 30 - 50% open....just enough to get the additional volume
When I first got my QTP cut out I never thought to do that, I either went fully open or fully closed but more recently I've been opening it only partially and it's a great sound!
The best part is that after 6+ years my QTP cut out still performs flawlessly.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
4yr warranty for dmh
But is it really?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lems-help.html

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...85&postcount=1

Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Teching In

ive seen problems with dmh,,, i ve had QTP and its worked flawless
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

OP, go with the DMH and dont look back. I have used the others, and though they work fine, the DMH is fast!! It opens from completely closed to completely open in 2 seconds. If you dont care about the time, then any of them will work. But DMH is my favorite and its well made too

Quick Reply: Electric cut out valve