Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) what headers you have: Grott 1 3.4 race style LTs

2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have: dumped 3 inch X

3) what catback you have: bullets

4) what cats your running: imaginary

5) any tuning you did/needed: tuning for cam

6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.: definately felt it when i did the exh (before cam)

7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.: Extremely loud and bad drone from 1500-2000

8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else.: its really loud, rattles the paintings inside my house when i'm parked out front, in the garage it is insane, almost like open headers. But holy cow when you get on it you can scare the crap out of people around you, great 2ndary horn. If you are about to get cut off just throw a rev and they will jack the brakes and get behind you instead. Cops can hear you miles away.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:40 AM
11 Second Club

I will add in mine i jave used 3 diffrent set ups:

#1) MAC mids with MAC ory and a borla cat back exhaust
notes: loved the exhaust but teh borla was too raspy for me

#2) MAC mids with lanes true duals(consisting of 12" dynomax bullets and dr. gas x-pipe) dumped at the axles no cats
notes: loved the sound even better than the borla i think true duals are the way to go but the inside drone was horrible dumped by the axle

#3)MAC mids with lanes true duals exactly as above except i had lane bring them over the axle and out the back all custon job and i used borla round 3" slash cut intercooled tips(the tips were diffrent i havt seen others use them so i did)
notes: this was the best set-up out of the 3 the drone was diminished alot but also if i ever just wante dto be loud the over the axle parts are flanged in and i can make it be dumped again i love this setup i put down 375rwhp/372rwtq with this setup with 224cam and bolt ons in an auto with 3000stall

that is my review i hope you enjoyed
Old 08-29-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

1) what headers you have: HOOKER LTS
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have: TSP CATTED-Y
3) what catback you have: MAGNAFLOW
4) what cats your running: I THINK MAGNAFLOW CARSOUNDS OR SOMETHING
5) any tuning you did/needed: YES TUNED BY SLOWHAWK, DELETED O2 SIMS
6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup: CAN'T REALLY TELL, WITH JUST 90MM FAST, NICKWILLIAMS 90TB, LID, MAGNAFLOW DYNOED AT 323HP, 330TQ. NOW WITH TUNING, HOOKERS, TSP CATTED-Y, ASP PULLEY DID 345HP AND 360 TQ. DEFINATELY COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE WHEN I TOOK IT OUT OF THE SHOP
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination. : I LOVE THE SETUP I FEEL THE POWER GAINS, IT SOUNDS CRISP WHEN CRUISING BUT IF I WANT TO SCARE SOME PEOPLE, OH IT WILL NOT RASPY
8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else. : YES, YES, YES
Old 09-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up exhaust setup

Grott longtubes

gutted carsound cats

Mufflex y-pipe into 4" y collector

Corsa Catback : partial

Magnaflow muffler

Corsa pro tips

no tuning yet other than hypertech tuning

smells rich

Sounds great
Old 09-09-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

1) what headers you have
QTP

2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have
QTP catted

3) what catback you have
GMMG

4) what cats your running
QTP

5) any tuning you did/needed
Yes, heads/cam went in at the same time exhaust system did.

6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.
Yes, I would say at least 40hp

7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.
My car has a NASCAR sound now, it's nice but too loud. I will be soon changing my catback to hooker.

8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else.
Yes, if you like it loud. GMMG after cam/heads and headers is too loud for me.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:27 AM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.
1) kooks
2) kook catted y pipe
3) SLP Loudmouth
4) hi flow magnaflow cats
5) tuning for cam
6) nothing i can veryifly, although it is said SLP LM is one of the most free flowing catbacks
7) I have a h/c setup, with a decent sized cam (233/233 .595/ .595 tsp cam) and the car is loud. It is a little raspy up top but IMO, a lot of cars are raspy up top so it might not sound raspy to you. I get a LOT of compliments on how my car sounds, and i like it, but i plan to go to an ORY setup so i will be ditching this catback due to the fact that it will be too loud/obnxious without cats.
8) If you like loud and dont mind cops bothering you, i would recommend it.

Last edited by lilstephsls1; 09-18-2005 at 11:28 AM. Reason: kant sphell fo lyfe of meh
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Another SLP LT owner.....

SLP LT's W/ AIR and EGR
Random Tech Cats
SLP Y-pipe
Borla Catback W.O. (no plate)

THis is Quiet at idle, but once you get on it it SINGS! I imagine that it could get a bit raspy w/o cats. I'll find out.

VIDS... First is on the HW, 5th to 4th to 3rd downshifts. Had tops off and windows down. Shifting soft. Not really at WOT the whole time 98%(my rug gets in the way, I have to STAND on it). I hit 4th for a second then clutched it.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t=P1030590.flv

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t=P1030858.flv

http://videos.camaroz28.com/search/B...2f01205717.htm

http://videos.camaroz28.com/search/B...2f0110dd9f.htm

See and listen for yourself... My Dyno Run
Click here to see Video

Last edited by bayer-z28; 12-17-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

1) I have PaceSetter Lt's
2) Pacesetter ORY
3) MagnaFlow
4) No Cats
5) Tuning - Had codes turned off
6) Havent had a dyno preformed
7) Awesome setup, sounds like a muscle car if you're going for that. I didnt have much money to spend on it but either way, I would of gone with PS headers and MF exhaust anyway.
8) I would definently reccomend this setup!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Teching In

On my 1998 Z28 A4:

1) Stock
2) Stock
3) SLP Loudmouth II with SLP Quad Tips
4) Stock
5) No tuning
6) Have not dyno'd since exhaust was installed.
7) I had read complaints about the SLP Loudmouth being raspy, but I have not found that to be the case with the Loudmouth II. Interior noise is louder than stock for sure, but at 60mph and above it's just a pleasant rumble. Not so loud that it attracts unwanted attention, but when ya stomp on the gas, people will hear you coming! I'm really pleased with the whole setup and have gotten a lot of compliments on it. The quad tips give a nice look to the rear of the car -- no pipes dangling down under the bumper.
8) I would absolutely recommend this setup, as well as the shop that installed it for me (THE MUFFLER SHOP, Virginia Beach VA...thanks Travis!)
Old 11-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Teching In

If you have a question about a particular setup PM that person or start a new thead.

If you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have

Jet Hot 1 3/4

Custom 3" Y with Dr Gas Y pipe collector

3) what catback you have

Corsa

None

Leaned it a little with HP Tuners

No dyno yet.

The headers went in well, passenger side with nothing removed, not even spark plugs, drivers side removed three plugs, diverter above oil filter, and steering, slid right in then. Hell it shoulda I took the car apart on that side.

I absolutely loved the Corsa catback with stock exhaust. Added headers and no cats, and the Corsa is VERY loud. From 2k - ~3k it sounds like an old truck with glasspacks. Do not like it. Going to Hooker catback, keeping my Corsa tips of course.

As it stands right now, the Dr Gas collecter is top notch, I retorqued the header bolts, none of them were loose, no complaints about the headers at all, but I would not recommend the Corsa if you need to keep your car quiet at all. It sounds awesome at idle, crap part throttle, great w/o throttle. I do have to hand it to the folks at Corsa, though, it still has zero resonance inside the car, all the exhaust sounds are outside the car.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

1) What headers you have: Hooker Ceramic Coated 1 ¾ LT Headers

2) What Y pipe or X/H pipe you have: Bassani X Pipe

3) What Catback you have: Bassani True Duals

4) What cats your running: None

5) Any tuning you did/needed: Tuning for cam and heads

6) Any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.: I went from the hooker catback to Bassani when the car was dynoed but it also at the same time had new valves, the heads reported, 1.75 rockers, underdrive pullys, Accufab Throttle Body and a aftermarket MAF ends. It gained 46 hp.

7) Small Review of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.: It has a great sound. Not extreamly loud but definately stout. This exhaust is designed for the stock exhaust manifolds so it took two 3 to 2 1/2 inch reducers and custom fab work to match up to the Hooker long tube headers but it was well worth the trouble. It is a good sounding dual exhaust setup.
8) Would you recommend your setup to somebody else.: Yes

Last edited by AKRA; 02-12-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Here's my setup

1. Pacesetter coated, emissions LT's
2. SLP dual/dual
3. No cats
4. TSP ORY

The car seems to sound good at idle and part throttle but when you get on it, starting at about 2500 it does not sound good to me at all. Don't know if you call is rasp but it has a wierd sound, not the typical "thunder" that I like. As of now i'm not happy with the sound. But it did fit good and looks good. The TSP ORY seems to fit good but I don't like the quality. Where they welded the Y together you can see overlappin pipes in side and lots of welds that came through the inside. Just very restricting if you don't clean it up yourself. But if you guys have any suggestions on how to fix the wierd noise exhaust let me know. I was told to put cats back on or put a cheap spiral muffler on but don't know what that is. Thanks in advance
Old 12-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

01 TA
SLP Long tubes
SLP y-pipe
Off road pipes
B&B triflow
No dyno number, but I went from a 13.4 into the high 12s with the addition of this full exhaust. It sounds great and did not drown on the highway. I would recommend this to anyone.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Banned

1) Stock
2) Stock
3) Borla Adjustable Catback
4) Stock
5) Nope
6) Haven't had the car dyno'd yet
7) I love the borla I run the system open. The way the system sounds past 3k rpms is incredable it just roars! Wot and the beast sounds great! Around town driving its not very loud unless you cruise at above 1.5k rpms I like to cruise at 2k though so it works fine for me!
8) I'd buy it again if I had to!
Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pacesetter longs
texas ory
magnaflow catback

no drone, gives a nice quiet tone when you want, and F-in screams when your on it.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

1) QTP 1 3/4 Race Style
2) TSP X Pipe from TSP Rumbler TD kit
3) TSP Rumbler TD kit W/18" Dynomax Bullets
4) None
5) Working on tuning with HP Tuners myself
6) None before or after, I've got the serious mod bug and am itching for a H/C combo. Might wait for that. SOTP is huge though, and that's before I tune it.
7) Look in my sig for a long writeup on the TSP kit and the QTP headers.
Overall, they both rock. Fitment was easy enough for a n00b to install. I think its a great first major mod.
8) I like it, I like it alot. I had a great experience with both TSP and QTP.
I would prob like to extend the exhaust out the back and use my stock tips for the sleeper look but im fine with dumps for now. I got the turndowns just like I wanted so if I can lean out the mix to address some of the gas smell, it'll be all good.
The Dynomax bullets with this system are definately LOUD at WOT.
Some vibration in the lower RPM's 1k ~ 2k but that's to be expected when the mufflers are bolted directly to the body.
I'd also like to paint the TSP kit with some high temp black paint, but that's a minor note, you could do it before but it might make the install harder.
Clearance is good. My kit is sitting at somewhere around 3 3/4" at the lowest point on the mufflers and im at stock height. I've seen some people with a full popcan of clearance with this kit, so clearance is decent.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

1) Pacesetter LT's w/ ceramic coating
2) Pacesetter ORY (Y pipe rubs no matter what)
3) B&B Triflow
4) No Cats
5) No tuning needed
7) B&B tips are great
8) I would recommend the setup w/ a different Y pipe.
I have had SLP D/D, GMMG, and the B&B exhaust on this car. The B&B definately sounds the best on a 6 spd car w/ Longtubes!!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
**** Technical Information only. All Non-Tech posts will be purged****

If you have a question about a particular setup PM that person or start a new thead.

If you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have-Pacesetter L/T's
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have-Pacesetter OR Y-pipe
3) what catback you have-Stock with weld in Hooker Aerochamber
4) what cats your running-N/A
5) any tuning you did/needed-o2 extensions, o2 simms, no tuning as of yet
6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.-Will update when dyno #'s are in
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.- The exhaust itself, overall, isn't a bad deal for the price. The y-pipe hits the floorboard pretty bad, BUT it tucks under very well. Had to do a lil cutting on the y-pipe to get it to fit as well, but now all seems well. Would advise using band clamps, as opposed to the u-bolts that come with the kit, seeing as how the pieces are slip on.
8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else. yes, I would

hopefully we can get something good going .

Just my .o2

-Will
Old 03-10-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

NEW SETUP

1) Pacesetter 1 3/4 Long Tubes
2) Summit Racing universal X-Pipe
3) dumped dynomax magnum 24" bullets
4) none
5) heads/cam tuning by pcmforless.com
6) no dyno pulls, obviously it gained something from long tubes and a straight out x-pipe
7) awesome setup, has a raw tuned sound that the x-pipe added. wouldnt reccommend true duals if you live in the boondocks where the roads are crappy
8) true duals are the only way to go
Old 03-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Current Set-up

1. Edelbrock slip-fit drag headers
2. Custom set-up, 12" Dynomax Bullets with pipes ending up each door
3. N/A
4. No cats
5. No tuning so far
6. No dyno results either but at the track I dropped 4 tenths off my ET in 1/8
7. The install wasn't that bad, only took me a couple of hours. There is a little bit of rubbing on the K-member but not too bad. After all the work, I am very pleased with my setup.
8. I would recommend anything that I have done to anybody.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com