Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com

**** Technical Information only. All Non-Tech posts will be purged****

If you have a question about a particular setup PM that person or start a new thead.

If you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have
3) what catback you have
4) what cats your running
5) any tuning you did/needed
6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.
8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else.

hopefully we can get something good going .

Exhaust Sound Clips!!!

Click here for audio clips of various exhaust systems. Listen AND submit!

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 07-02-2006 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cshelton1981 (11-06-2021)
Old 02-18-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
hey guys, as you know chili peper already put up a great site with all the ls1 sounds and i put together my exhuast guide. now were going to work on putting together an exhaust review setup on his board so people can read up on them. if you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.

hopefully we can get something good going . i'll add my own setup later
I'll go first:
Mac mids with ball flange cut off
3" X-pipe true duals
no cats
12 dynomax bullets
under the axle and out the back

I had them dumped a before the axle and the interior rattle and drone was terrible, went out the back and the noise went away and the exhaust has a much deeper tone now, anyone who has heard it loved it.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
hey guys, as you know chili peper already put up a great site with all the ls1 sounds and i put together my exhuast guide. now were going to work on putting together an exhaust review setup on his board so people can read up on them. if you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have

hopefully we can get something good going . i'll add my own setup later
pacesetter LT's
pacesetter ORY
Borla catback w/no plates
no cats
ses light because i run no sims
no dyno runs yet since headers w/ borla made 296/306 in 2nd gear
header install was easy check out my sig for the install notes borla was on the car when i bought it the entire system sounds really good and not as loud as a LM car with no cats
I would definitly recommend the entire system to anyone considering it even the pacesetters and ory.

lata
Bill
Old 02-18-2004, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

1. Jet Hot long tubes
2. ORY
3. GMMG w/ oval tips
4. N/A
5. I had the rear O2's and A.I.R. turned off to prevent SES lights
6. No dyno runs yet
7. I was a little hesitant in running and ORY at first but with the GMMG there is virtually no drone and it idles much louder then my Mac/ true dual setup I previously had.
8. Definate recommended combination!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:36 PM
MRR
Teching In

Car 2002 Z28 A4 16,000 Miles (Bone Stock)

Base Line
281.3 HP
303.5 TQ

Kook's Long Tube Headers
Kook's Y-Pipe
Magnaflow Cats
Corsa Cat Back Exhaust
LS1 Dyno Tune

328.6 HP
345.5 TQ

MRR
Old 02-18-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Current set-up:
Hooker LTs (coated)
Hooker Y-pipe
No cats
DynoMax Bullet muffler/SLP Loudmouth-"DynoMouth"
Couldn't tell you the gains as the LTs were added/cats removed when I did H/C. I will say that it doesn't sound good to me at all right now unless it is idleing, or at WOT.

Old Set-up:
MAC midlengths (uncoated with welds cleaned up)
MAC Y-pipe with cats
SLP Loudmouth
This combo sounded pretty mean for a non-dual exhaust. It had some droning, but not as much rasp (prolly the cats).

I want to go MagnaFlow or true duals/X-pipe next...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

1) Bassani (midlenght like Macs)
2) Bassani ORY
3) Bassani street competition catback
4) No cats
5) No header specific tuning
6) No before & after dynos
7) I've had 10 different exhaust combos on my two LS1 cars, and this one is my favorite. It's VERY loud at WOT, sounds great at idle (deep, aggresive, loud but not too loud, low pitched lopy idle with my cam & stock heads). At cruise it's also very aggresive, deep, and noticeably loud, but nothing annoying or overly loud. Has a real nice pitch (it's always got a real deep sound to it under any conditions), only droning/beating type sounds is when trying to slowly accelerate while staying in TC lock up (less than half throttle type acceleration) during expressway cruising at speeds above 60mph or so. No typical kazooing type rasp under any type of driving that most ORYs have. It has some very low pitched rasp when the exhaust is still cold right at 2100rpm, but once warmed, that low pitched rasp basically goes away.

8) Anyone considering this system should be prepared for the fact that it's loud. Not race car type loud, but loud enough that some may not like it for a daily driver. If you want a great compromise between a "loudmouth/mufflerless" type system and the "slightly louder than stock" type system, this is the one for you. It's right about in the middle ground, leaning towards the louder side. I would not want to go back to any of my previous systems over this one.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-18-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:43 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) SLP Long Tubes
2) Shop fabbed 3" X-pipe
3) Not Applicable Using 2 Flowtech Afterburners
4) Gutted cats
5) LS1Edit (for cam) - Used O2 Sims at first, then had rear sensors deleted. Post-cat bungs are still there just in case.
6) none verified
7) Duals Rule!
8) Yes!

See: http://home.att.net/~carlos.ramirez1...2/site1007.jpg
Hear: http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...rner-dumps.wma

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 02-18-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have
Old Setup:

1) jet hots
2) custom 2.5 Y with flowmaster collector
3) magnaflow
4) carsound cats 94106
5) no tuning
6) no dyno's
7) a very nice budget catback and setup. The muffler is a straight through setup so it flows great. Its alot quiter then i'd thought it'd be. great around town manors, wont attract cops or unwanted attention unless you go WOT . WOT it lets its self be known. No rasp or drown at all. Sounds great on stock cam or with an aftermarket one. The tips are a love it or hate, but if you desire so you can have new tips welded on.
8) would definately recommend to someone looking for a great sounding setup at a good price.

clips in sig.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Here is my exhaust setup:

1) PPC Long Tubes - coated, 1 3/4" primaries
2) 3" coated PPC y-pipe
3) Corsa 3" Premium cat-back
4) Random Tech Metallic cats
5) Adj on dyno w/Predator - custom tune from RWTD to come
6) gained 28rwhp & 33rwtq (over stock manifold, RT cats & 2 1/2" y)
7) headers tuck tight, look good, great power - finally got rid of the lean condition, nice sound, no rasp, quiet at idle, LOUD at WOT, header install was normal (~ 8 hrs for them alone), y-pipe was a royal friggin PITA
8) Yes! Gordon @ PPC was working with me the whole way trying to work out the issues I had. The only thing I don't like is where the driver's side cat is....my car is lowered & it hits everything.

I have some pics on my website that shows the install (tricks, issues, etc)

http://community.webshots.com/user/wahusker
Old 02-19-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Kook's SS LT's
2. Kook's Catted Y-Pipe
3. Hooker Catback
4. Magna Flow Cats (with Kook's Y-Pipe)
5. No tuning yet
6. No dyno testing yet
7. Fitment is 1st rate. Installation was strait forward, (thanks to JRP). This is a quiet setup. At curb idle you would swear I didb't have headers on this car. At moddest cruising speeds the car is amazingly quiet. No drone, or rasp of any kind. At WOT this set up has a very nice, throaty, V-8 Note.
8. I like this set up, although I would admit it was expen$ive.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

1) what headers you have
I am currently running Pacesetter LT's

I believe it's a Dr. Gas X-pipe, done by Lane's in Dallas

3) what catback you have
Whats a catback?

oh, am i suppose to have cats?

I already had custome tuning when I had MACs on the car, no changes made since I made the switch

I don't know, i dont get on the dyno much

Well its only been on the car for a week & 1/2 so I cant really say too much about it. As far as the Headers themselves go, the driver side header was the hardest to get in and there were fitment issues that had to be taken care of, but the passenger side went it like it was a stock peice suppose to be there.

Sure I guess, i like it so far, but like i said i have only had it a short while.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com-dualsetup.jpg   Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com-picture-001.jpg  
Old 02-19-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) macs with cut ballflanges and extended 3" collectors
2) custom 3" ypipe, mandrel bends and flowmaster 3x3x3.5 collector, dual 3" cutouts
3) no catback, 3.5" flowmaster delta force race muffler part number 435408
4) no cats
5) dunno
6) dunno
7) best sounding exhaust ive ever heard on an ls1 hands down
8) yes

Last edited by jrp; 09-02-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

1) Jet Hot Long Tubes
2) Hooker Y Pipe
2.5) QTP ELECTRIC CUTOUT
3) STock catback exhaust
4) NO CATS
5) NO TUNING
6) dynoed at 17RWHP/17RWTQ right after install.
7) Well I think the car is running very well with this set up..look at the times on the sig. From my experiences with my setup i think its safe to say that the stock muffler works fine
I am going to get a set of QTPs Long tubes since they have the nicest High velocity Merge collectors with a true Merge Y pipe.

in my opinion any setup with a QTEC cutout is the best .... thats the thing i love about my exhaust setup the most....
Old 02-19-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1) None
2) Stock
3) Dynomouth (modded stock)
4) Stock
5) None
6) 318/335 (single dyno run, very hot day)
7) My car's mods at the time of the dyno run, were only a lid (Fram filter), and the bullet in the I-pipe that makes the 'Dynomouth' mod. Very little investment. Money was tight and the LM was about to hit the market, so I thought I would make my own LM. It worked out very well. $140 dollars later and compliments on the deep tone started coming. Not to mention that it couldn't help but improve power. Considering the 98 cars make in the neighborhood of 280-290 rwhp stock, I think 318 is great for a lid and cheap bullet muffler.
8) YES! It is not perfect, I would love a set of duals when the oppurtunity comes, I am just too picky to go with a setup that only offers bullets and dumps before the axle.
Until something better comes along, or if you want old school muscle car sound on a budget, I recommend this mod.
My .02
Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

FWIW
1) stock
2) stock
3) B&B Tri Flo & QTEC
4) stock
5) none
6) 308hp with lid and exhaust, dyno'd before cutout.
7) Very deep and exotic sounding at the same time. Sweetest sound at WOT and startup. Cutout lets you tweak the sound, open it a little to add a little gurgle and bass, or all the way for door rattling car alarm setting off fun.
8) Yes, I haven't seen any other cars with my exhaust around, I'm sure there are a few, but B&B is pretty rare. I like being a little unique. Its all stainless, looks great.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:18 PM
WARNING: BAD TRADER STATUS

Kooks SS lt's
Kooks off road y pipe
Mac cat back
No cats with O2 sims
Dynoed 29rwhp and 33rwtq without tunning
I would recommend this system to anyone with a high budget. Fitment is outstanding as well as ground clearance, installation was a breeze, and sounds like a nascar with some rasp from 3k to about 4.5k.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Banned

1) what headers you have
stock 98

stock 98

3) what catback you have
Magnaflow

stock 98

stock 98

299/310 STD with Catback and CAI, A4.

7) small review:
I feel the Mag is the best respectible sounding catback out there. Here is a pretty good clip from my site (7.4 mb):
http://members.***.net/msihra/mag_revving.mov

For sure. It has ZERO rasp at any RPM, much quieter than some of the ones out there, yet noticibly more aggressive than stock. With so few mods that might be the reason, but lots are happy with this setup, it's really nice.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

1) what headers you have

Coated Hooker LT's. Good design very poor quailty. 1/4 spot missed and not welded. O2 bungs misaligned impossible to insert O2 sensor. Warped flange hand file. Primaries full of slag. Not bent to correct specs. Mufflex Y pipe had to cut a part and weld back together to get it fit with Hookers. O2's too tight and can rub. Happy once all the problems were resolved. Hooker Quailty Sucked based on my direct experience.

2) Y pipe or X/H pipe you have

Mufflex Y Expensive for what it is. Good quailty but ugly franken pipe. 3 inch into 4 inch collector. Looks impressive and works fine. Neck down from 4 inch to 3 inch adapter.

Jet Hot Cat'd Y pipe Almost impossible to tell there are cats on it. They are the small flow thru's. Found shop that will do emission test and pass as they know these are cats. Expensive for what it is. Will put on for emission testing only and remove.

SLP Y pipe had this when the car was a bolt on car. I think it was worth ~2rwhp. This was before I knew any better. It was something nice to talk about and post in the sig in the early days and to talk about. It also helped my dual/dual be a little louder than the ones on SS's & FireHawks. This always bothered the SS & FireHawk owners so I guess it was worth it.

3) what catback you have

SLP Dual/Dual & cut out. I think the D/D is one of the very best quite cat-backs. I don't like the tips and would like to cut them off and add Corsa tips. However, the sound is exactly what I like very quiet and hides the heads and cam package around town very nicely unless I get on it. At WOT it's plenty loud. My SLP dual/dual was purchased direct from SLP and didn't have the ring of silence in it. This made it a much better sounding dual/dual than 99.9 percent of the others IMO. The ring can be removed from factory dual/duals. Perfect cat-back IMO cops ignore the car as it's nice and quiet even with H & C. My wifes 02 Z28 w/flowmaster is louder at idle. I may get a D/D for my 3rd Gen. 10rwhp less with D/D than with cutout. The cutout is too loud and I don't like to drive with it open. Cutouts also sounds a little nasty IMO.

Flowmaster this POS is on my wifes 02 Z28. It's loud at idle and on the highway. I find it annoying and the drone gets on my nevers. I hate this cat-back. Since I don't drive her car however it's not that much of an issue. She didn't like it at first but has grown acustom to it. I swear one day I'll going to slip either an SLP dual/dual or a SLP 20TL on the car and not tell her.

None at the moment. When the Jet Hot Y goes on it will be the cats Jet Hot supplied.

Headers were added when the car got heads, cam & intake. Did mail order MTI tune and it was well worth it.

Since headers were done with heads/cam/intake wasn't able to test seperately. Car gained 95rwhp over being a bolt on car and 78 rwtq. This is with TEA's orginal 5.3 S2 heads and a small 224 XE-R cam. The newest TEA 5.3 is a much better head esp w/hand touch ups.

7) review

I like the exhaust set up I have. I wish Hooker had better quailty control. I'd like to have consider an X pipe of some sort but that wasn't in the budget at the time. In the future who knows. One day might change the tips on the D/D but that cat-back will stay. I'd like to try a Borla too with the plates. I think the car would really sound better but it would probably be louder too. Corsa is sweet too but I think it would be too loud with my car and no cats.

Yes overall, but I'd say consider cut outs directly behind the header primary or try to do it with an X pipe.

Componet...............Value.....Quailty....Result s....Satisfaction

Coated HookersLT's.....7...........2.............9....... .......7
Mufflex Y....................4............8.............8. .............9
Jet Hot cat'd Y............3............5.............?......... .....5
Cut out....................10............7............ .10............10
SLP Dual/Dual............6............9.............10..... .......10+

NOT RECOMMENDED
SLP Y pipe..................1.............9............. 1..............2
Flowmaster................6.............7......... ....?...............1

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 02-22-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Pacesetter LTs (Coating by Performance Coatings www.performancecoatings.com)
2) Pacesetter Off-Road Y-Pipe
3) Texas Speed "Rumbler" Catback
4) N/A
5) None
6) Not yet!
7) Pacesetters fit pretty damn well and the install went about as smoothly as you can expect. We had to notch the k-member on the driver's side to avoid contact under load. The easiest way to get the driver's side in is to remove the two bolts from the steering linkage and move it out of the way. Headers went right in after that, and went right in on the passenger side with nothing extra needed.

Because of the design of the driver side header (collector points slightly up toward the car) the y-pipe ends up in contact with the bottom of the car. We used a pry bar to give it a little bit of clearance, but it still isn't much. However, at WOT I don't get any banging, and don't get any driving normally. The only time I can hear the y-pipe touch is if I let the clutch out from a stand still and don't give it much if any gas... then the studder from that is enough for the y-pipe to bang lightly on the bottom. But this is the ONLY instance I have of the y-pipe banging.

8) I would definitely recommend this setup to anyone operating under a tighter budget. Basically I got brand new coated headers, a y-pipe, and a complete catback with tips (which look awesome, btw) for under $900. Can't beat that. Also, the Rumbler doesn't have any drone at all, which is great considering I have an ORY on the car. It sounds extremely mean, a 1000% better than it did before (old setup was stock manifolds and cats with an open cutout).

Quick Reply: Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com