Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP true duel guy's fill me in

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP true duel guy's fill me in

I've decided screw messing around with orys and catbacks...

I like the sound of TDs, and I'll be getting them off Texas speed with their sweet thunders. I don't want mine dumped before the axle so I'll have a shop fab me up some pipes under the axle out the back with some tips..Along with pacesetter race lts...any advice you can give me about what to look out for during install besides clearence issues..Do I need anything else..different clamps, some sort of spacer so nothing hits, o2 extensions, **** like that so when it's in the shop I don't have one of those "forggot that" moments..what should I expect from your experience?
thanks...
Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

RRRIIIGGHHHHTTTT u guys hidden out
Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Check the sticky at the top.. It may have something in there regarding this.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ Check the sticky at the top.. It may have something in there regarding this.
Yeah...I've read it...but it never hurts to get some real time answers...

The thread is filled with facts, but not too much info on some of the common downsides or what else I might NEED or consider doing during the install. I just want this exhaust perfect...
Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Ah.. Cool cool. No real parts layout.. Gotcha.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When ya order from tsp they will set you up with everything you need,as far as other parts the tsp x pipe comes with everything,for the longtubes there are a lot of good write ups on what you will need,its also a good time to change your plugs and wires,
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 AM

Default TSP true duel guy's fill me in

I like the sound of TDs, and I'll be getting them off Texas speed with their sweet thunders.lt1 is a very loud.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

You may have to get a pan hard relocation/drop down kit to get the second pipe over the rear end. I think it is BMR that sells them.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks....and I was thinking of doing flanges where the dumps would go.... to connect the pipes out the back so I can remove them when/if neccessary. and does it make sense to put the sweet thunders right behind the tips to cut down on rasp? with the extra pipes out the back I didn't know if this causes more rasp since their not dumped, or is under the car just fine?...and how important is a tune after TDs? I'll get dyno tuned next year but didn't know if it's kinda a must after a TD install...I know you can get away with it for alittle while with your typical Lt ory combo.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine last weekend with the help of a buddy. I bought my setup used in great condition to save some money from a member on here. TSP will include everything you need, the only other tool you will need is a drill and a drill bit to make the new holes for the hangers. I used a 3/8 drill bit. Also dont try and hook up everything at once, start with the elbows that connect to the headers, then the xpipe, then the mufflers at the end. This allows you to make adjustments and makes it easier. I started at about 10:30 AM and didnt get done untill about 5PM because i had to keep re-adjusting and making holes for the hangers. I also didnt use jack stands to hold the car up I used metal ramps and drove the front of the car on top of them when i started doing the front of the exhaust and when it came down to do the mufflers and hangers i drove the rear wheels on top of the ramps and i had excellent clearance to work. The key to it is, the more time you spend on them, the best clearance and fitment you will get.

I honestly think mine could of been installed better so one of these days when its nice i am going to take mine off and re do everything. I am thinking about going all the way back also under the axle but clearance is going to suck. If you have the extra cash to spend and want it done 110% right you can get a BMR Torque Arm that is made for this exhaust setup and will give you about 2 more inches of clearance. I got my x pipe and everything tucked up nice but had problems with the mufflers as they angle down a little it towards the ground. I also used a 2x4 on a floor jack and put it right under the bullets and lifted up to adjust the height. That also raised the xpipe more but not by much because it was already touching the torque arm.

All in all I love the way mine sound. The rasp is gone the only bad is sometimes they seem to rattle on the floor board which alot of people running them have experienced as well and say its normal for them to rattle a little. Good luck, if you get them i dont think you will be dissapointed, like i said take your time and everything will go smooth.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

I also did new plugs/wires and o2 sensors after the install. If you need extended o2 sensors dont bother buying extensions, order the bosch o2 sensors for the corvette i think its part number 13111. The have longer wire than the camaro ones and are about 50 bucks a piece, i ordered mine from ebay for 100 bucks shipped to my door. Just something you might want to think about when you do your exhaust. I also did a new fuel filter and mopar combustion chamber cleaner through the top end.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

once it's installed I'll for sure go to the exhaust shop for fabing me up some pipes run out the back...I don't think the TAs rear bumper looks good without tips in their..A camaro can pull off the dumped look better than a TA imao...just don't know if I
should put the mufflers right before the tips....or where their supposed to be...questionable sound quality with them right before the tips
Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was also thinking of just grinding a 1/2 inch or so off my TA before any of this to avoid having to buy another one....just to make it more flush with the bottom contour of my car
Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

i dont see why you couldn't grind off your stock torque arm. I have heard that the stock auto torque arms dont move compared to an m6 car. One of my buddies told me this but im not sure if its true. After you grind yours tell me the result and ill do the same to mine. thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dumped is the only way to go brotha..
Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

I have the same exhaust and I hated the dumps. I got a bunch of angled pipes from verocious motorsports and fabbed up pipes over the axle. Turned out great but you will definitly need a nice DR safety loop that tucks up nice and away from the X pipe. Every bump you hit will make them hit each other, gets really annoying.