Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Inspection - ORY pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Inspection - ORY pipe

so my tags are dead and this is the 2nd year I've owned my LS1, well the car has no cats but also no check engine light. well I went to go get it inspected and they told me it failed the OBDII told them that my check engine light was "disabled". Basically they think someone took the bulb out. well Anyways I need to get that done but what are my options for keeping the car catless? I got it inspected last year, no problems. Someone mentioned a "mill eliminator" but when I called the performance shop, they could only get them for Ford.

How are you guys passing emissions with the OBDII?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

I tacked some heat shields onto my ORY and got through no problem, drove home and just pulled them back off. I never bothered with o2 simulators or anything, it seems like they don't work a lot of the time so just put that $50 towards having someone tune out all the codes correctly
Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ helpful, yeah I think thats going to be the best option. I have a theory of going to register the car a county over ( NO OBDII ). I have a my uncles address and all, just tell them I moved in with him. Could work...
Old 04-02-2011, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

if the car gets tuned any codes for missing items can be set to be ignored and your mil light will still work as normal. thats the best way
Old 04-05-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

you guys suggest anyone in particular to send the PCM to?
PCMforless is local for me, right around Tick Perf.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...roducts_id=320

buy these and weld them in.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

buy some cats and make test pipes...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

even with a tune, some states are sneaky, so you have to be carful. but since you failed inspection they might require you to re-inspect before a title transfer...but after that you should go to the county next door.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by brians91formula
The product description above is for entertainment purposes only. This product does not perform the exhaust cleansing function of a catalytic converter in any way. Use of this product on or off the road violates countless laws and may prevent your car from passing emissions. It is unlawful to install this product in any vehicle in the United States, ever. If you wish to return this product at any time in the future, a full refund will be issued. This product should only be purchased by lawyers with pre-1975 vehicles or purpose built off-road vehicles that did not come with catalytic converters from the factory who know for a fact that it is legal to use in their vehicle in their jurisdiction for aesthetic reasons only. If you are not one of those lawyers, this product should only be hung on your wall to express your rebellious nature, never installed in a vehicle. This product may cause cancer.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

uhhh so who do yall suggest for a tune ? =P
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

frost usually does a great job wiith mail order tunes and hes not too far away from you although you would still need to mail it to him
Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
The product description above is for entertainment purposes only. This product does not perform the exhaust cleansing function of a catalytic converter in any way. Use of this product on or off the road violates countless laws and may prevent your car from passing emissions. It is unlawful to install this product in any vehicle in the United States, ever. If you wish to return this product at any time in the future, a full refund will be issued. This product should only be purchased by lawyers with pre-1975 vehicles or purpose built off-road vehicles that did not come with catalytic converters from the factory who know for a fact that it is legal to use in their vehicle in their jurisdiction for aesthetic reasons only. If you are not one of those lawyers, this product should only be hung on your wall to express your rebellious nature, never installed in a vehicle. This product may cause cancer.

and your point is ?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your emission woes! I know the feeling!

As noted above, getting a tune to rid the OBDII issues is a MUST. Just about any good tuner could get the job done right once you explain what needs to be done. Frost comes highly recommended from many on the board and your two local options are well regarded also.

Once you get by the OBDII test, then you have to conquer your next hurdle -- the visual inspection. Many states that do OBDII testing don't "REQUIRE" a visual test however, in my experience, they almost always check under the car for cats. Not to mention, most of those guys are even more interested in "taking a look" if a muscle car pulls in with an obviously modified exhaust. I can pass OBDII all day long, however the visual is tricky!

For years I've considered tacking up a pair of heat shields on the ORY or simply adding in a pair of the "false cats".
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brians91formula
and your point is ?
Wasn't my point, but I think he was posting the description because it's absolutely hilarious to read!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Wasn't my point, but I think he was posting the description because it's absolutely hilarious to read!
I agree. pretty damn funny
Old 04-06-2011, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Midnight02
...For years I've considered tacking up a pair of heat shields on the ORY or simply adding in a pair of the "false cats".
i dont see what the fascination is with doing stuff like this...if your seriously going to go thru all that work to fool an inspector, why not just make test pipes with actual cats?

especially if one of the inspectors gets overly curious and finds your little "trick" at least with the test pipes you can actually say you have cats when it comes inspection time, which is what, every year or 2?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ahaha. Have I got stories! I have an ORY that is CLEARLY no catted... Just pipes. And one Borla XR-1 in the I-pipe. I had my car tuned to clear the emissions codes (AIR, EGR, and cats). So, just for fun, I go to the Mobil1 center because I know they are pretty strict and I wanted to have fun... Yeah, that was a mistake! I have about 6 of the pseudo-mechanic oil-changing morons looking at my car LIKE CRAZY. Keep in mind, I'm in S. Texas and we only have OBDII. So after all is said and done the guy is like (queue Indian voice) "You have no catalytic converter, I can not pass you." So I proceed to argue with him using the "Congratulation on keeping Texas clean" emissions sheet saying I passed. And he said they have to be visible. I said they are in the y-pipe. He finally insists I leave, failing me on 'safety equipment' with a write-in "catalytic convertot not present". Which is completely illegal. But, I'm not about to get police involved. Next, I go to a local inspection place called the "G-Spot"... Yeah, it's pretty ghetto. This is where things get really good. I tell the guy there the previous shop failed me because they don't think I have cats, but they are high-performance cats in the y-pipe. The kid is totally cool and tells me to come back tomorrow. I come back, he does the inspection, gets to the visual... Approaches me and is like "If you want this to pass, I'm gonna need $100." ... "Total?" "No, on top of the inspection fee. Look, man, I could lose my job!" I laughed, then yelled at him saying there is nothing illegal going on. Then some older guys comes out and starts looking at it and pulls out a "State Inspection Handbook" that might have been from 1903... He reads that if the exhaust is modified AT ALL (IE: different tips) it fails. Then he starts to questions my y-pipe. "So how do you change the catalytic converters when the go bad, huh?!" "Just drop the y, put a new one it" "THAT'S RIDICULOUS, I DON'T BELIEVE IT! THAT'S BULLSH*T!!!!" I was sick of these people, so I left. I hopped one city over (same county) the next weekend. I found someone who was cool and wanted to pass it as long as the OBD was okay. All was good, I bought the guy some Burger King, he goes to do the inspection...

And if you read any of this, read this part...

THE PREVIOUS SHOP HAD BLACK-LISTED MY CAR!

This means I had to go to the DMV about an hour away (a STATE DMV, not county) and perform a series of stringent emissions and safety inspections with a SNIFFER!

No other shop was allowed to even get past entering my car's VIN into the computer. Oh man. Luckily, I had 4 months left on my sticker (I thought I was moving, so I wanted to get it done before I left).

I came back 2 months later, and, apparently my black-list expired. THANKFULLY. I brought the guy more food and I passed with flying colors and WAY too much money later.

Moral of the story, don't go trying to pass till you're SURE you're gonna pass.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

either put in cats with clamps and test pipes OR go to a county where there is no emissions. end of thread.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

So you don't have any codes? Just the light don't work?

Either way I might know someone that can help you.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

I can pass the visual with my uncle doing the inspection at his work...( already talked to him ). but the OBD II I cannot so I'm just gonna mail the PCM to Frost.

-with that said, I have a little issue I need worked out with the PCM, when I push the clutch it, it rev's a few hundred RPM's higher, even on start-up...for a few seconds and then goes down to normal. Do yall think Frost can get that idle issue out? I need that tweaked, obviously Frost can take off the check engine light for no cats. My last question is can Frost set me up a new rev limiter? to like 6100 maybe?

Quick Reply: Failed Inspection - ORY pipe