Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Headers to Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Headers to Y-pipe

hey guys shoot me some ideas if you have any. I just bought some Long Tube Hooker Super Comp headers for my 2000 TA. I went and bought the Hooker y-pipe that is supposed to fit right up with the headers. I went to try and slide the y-pipe over the collector of the header and they just butted right against each other. Am I going to have to expand the y pipe and barely slide it over then clamp it down? Or am I supposed to be able to get the y-pipe over the collectors without any trouble? Let me know, thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Launching!

The make a band blamp that joins the two. kind of like a sleeve that fits over the top of both. That's the way my GT500 exhaust goes together. I think it's kinda sketchy but it works I guess. Jegs and Summit sell the bands.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Butting the collector to the y and clamping?! Are you nuts?! LOL iv never heard of such a hack job/wig rig. Maybe it works if the clamps are VERY good and tight but I wouldnt trust it. Op just do what you are doing with the pipe expander. Just take your time and feel good about it cause you know it will be right.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the y-pipe should fit over the header collectors. i would get the y-pipe expanded. someone on here roughly 2 weeks ago had the same problem.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get that **** expanded- I had the same problem (only on the driver side connection) with my TSP catted y-pipe and Hooker L/Ts. Went to a muffler shop and the guy expanded it for free, took literally 30 seconds.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 AM
Teching In

So the shop tells me my hooker super comp Lt's smash one of my spark plugs and would end up melting by the time a few passes were made on the dyno. And that my tsp 3' catted y-pipe doesnt fit. Does any one know whats up with this, since I did read this thread before ordering the parts even. I figured the worst would be like you guys have said and would have to expand a few parts of the y-pipe. But seems more troublesome.?