Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam pads on bottom of LS6 manifold & LS6 valley cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Foam pads on bottom of LS6 manifold & LS6 valley cover

Hello
I'm going to install an SLP LS6 intake manifold on my 2000 Camaro along with an LS6 older style 04 valley cover.
The manifold doesn't have the foam pads on the bottom and I think that's how SLP sold the manifold. Doing some research there seems to be differing opinions about the pads. One is that the pads were for noise deadening, another was to keep out dirt, another was to keep a harmonic balance to prevent ping and having the knock sensors throw codes.
While doing all this research I found this old 2002 "TSB 02-06-04-023A" that came out about the knock sensors and how to build a silicone dam around the rear one to keep water out and to remove the rear foam pad from under the manifold. Here's a link to one of the sites when I did a Google search http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/0efb...r-located.html It's half way down the page. Or here http://www.jimfancher.com/sierra/p0332.htm
My question is, since I'm gonna use an older (04) LS6 valley cover does anyone know if there was a fix built in for the knock sensor problem, and do I add the foam pads to the bottom of my LS6 manifold ?

Last edited by jg rider; 04-08-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed mine to a ls6 mani and didnt replace the pads after grinding all the tabs off the bottom. No problems to speak of yet. BTW the ls6 mani really made a noticeable difference all over, not just up top. It was well worth it...
Old 04-08-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Is there enough room for the foam pads under the LS6 intake? I thought that was one of the reasons for having to cut off the fins. I know there's a difference between the steam pipe and some foam.

To the OP, I have a new set of foam pads from a intake gasket set I bought. If someone hasn't thrown them away at the shop I can send them to ya.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

without the pads it tends to get dirty under there.........and the gasket dam around the KS is a even better idea.....if your KS ever get rusty you will know why
Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you buy the felpro intake gaskets, which are identical to GM ones, they come with the foam pads in the box. I got mine at O'reillys for like 25 bucks
Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Is there enough room for the foam pads under the LS6 intake? I thought that was one of the reasons for having to cut off the fins. I know there's a difference between the steam pipe and some foam.

To the OP, I have a new set of foam pads from a intake gasket set I bought. If someone hasn't thrown them away at the shop I can send them to ya.
I've seen Ls6's with pads. I thought grinding down some fins was so that you could use the LS1 coolant lines that run under the manifold. And yes I would appreciate the pads if you can find them. Only three sources I found, one wanted to sell in quantity of 5 , another wanted 3x the price of the pads for shipping, and the third source was selling the gasket kit which I don't need. Please let me know if you find them, and we'll work something out.
Thanx John
Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

If you need some pads PM me your address. I think I can shoot them out for a stamp or two!!!

I bought a intake gasket set for my LS1 intake and found they are the same for my FAST intake. Go figure.

If I can help you out let me know
Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
If you need some pads PM me your address. I think I can shoot them out for a stamp or two!!!

I bought a intake gasket set for my LS1 intake and found they are the same for my FAST intake. Go figure.

If I can help you out let me know
I appreciate it. PM sent. I got off my butt and stopped feeling sorry for myself and repaired the manifold that I wrote about in the Granatelli wires thread. I got a piece of the same material and welded a patch over the holes, using a soldering iron, and then applied JB weld. It's not West Coast Customs quality, but it'll do

Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like a nice repair. Good job!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

First time I replaced the intake I cut up some foam insulation - the type that goes on the side of a window AC. Worked good.

Quick Reply: Foam pads on bottom of LS6 manifold & LS6 valley cover