Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust manifold Question

Old 04-14-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Red face Exhaust manifold Question

I am going to replace my exhaust manifolds on my 98 z28, it has 272,000 miles on it and the manifold bolts have never been removed. My question is should I remove them with the engine Hot or Cold? I know different materials expand at different rates and I don't want to break off any of the bolts in the Head. Also should i use some type of rust remover like Liquid Wrench? Any Help would be Great. Thanx.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you try to remove the bolts when the engine is hot im pretty sure you'll burn your skin off! lol so remove them when its cold and they should come right out i suggest getting exhaust manifold studs while your at it.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Yes hot is not too good but I've read here that people have snapped bolts trying to get them out and then you need to drill out the bolt and try an EZ out to remove it. I'll have none of that. LOL
Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1121
I am going to replace my exhaust manifolds on my 98 z28, it has 272,000 miles on it and the manifold bolts have never been removed. My question is should I remove them with the engine Hot or Cold? I know different materials expand at different rates and I don't want to break off any of the bolts in the Head. Also should i use some type of rust remover like Liquid Wrench? Any Help would be Great. Thanx.
Are you in an area that has alot of salt? I removed mine when it had 120k on it and reused the bolts with my lt's with no problems. I wanna say after driving to the shop and getting the car in the air the heads were barely warm to the touch.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spray some WD-40 the night before and they should come right out. I never snapped any bolt in my engine, just take your time.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It's an interesting idea to do it with the engine hot.

What expands more when heated, aluminum or steel?
This would be aluminum as steel is much more dense.

So, with an aluminum block and steel bolts, theoretically, the bolts will come out with less chance of problems when the engine is hot.

Spraying a lube or penetrating oil on the bolt will do little as it's virtually imposable to get the lube into the threads.

Exhaust manifold bolts are a crapshoot. If they're jammed or corroded into the head, there's not much you can do about it. Most of the time, these bolts come out without any problems.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

That is what I was thinking taking them out Hot would give me a Better chance of having No Issues. Thanx for your replies.

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
It's an interesting idea to do it with the engine hot.

What expands more when heated, aluminum or steel?
This would be aluminum as steel is much more dense.

So, with an aluminum block and steel bolts, theoretically, the bolts will come out with less chance of problems when the engine is hot.

Spraying a lube or penetrating oil on the bolt will do little as it's virtually imposable to get the lube into the threads.

Exhaust manifold bolts are a crapshoot. If they're jammed or corroded into the head, there's not much you can do about it. Most of the time, these bolts come out without any problems.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

I have seen where taking spark plugs out of aluminum heads while hot causes them to be blown out at a later date such as the infamous FORD modular heads. Id get the heads warm or barely over that but not hot, and yes, aluminum will expand alot more than steel. That was my reason for doing it that way and it worked perfect for me. After the bolts were broke loose they all were threaded out by hand easily.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

get the engine as hot as you can take it with gloves and long sleeve shirt. Get in there and losen the bolts up. It shouldnt be that bad iv done it before.

You have a **** ton of miles on that thing! Congrats! Are you doing headers?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

my car had 123K miles when i did headers. the bolts came out VERY easily! by using a very small 10mm tool. i wouldnt worry but take your time..gd luck.

EDIT: your manifold to cats bolts will def break no matter what
Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

No Headers, this is my daily driver and my cats are shot. Bought cats from a 2001 and they are different so this is why I am changing the manifolds, Y pipe. Yes the car still burns a little bit of rubber and runs Great! Can't beat those Chevy motors.

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
get the engine as hot as you can take it with gloves and long sleeve shirt. Get in there and losen the bolts up. It shouldnt be that bad iv done it before.

You have a **** ton of miles on that thing! Congrats! Are you doing headers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold Question