Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which LID?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which LID?

I won't start another long thread on Lids here, some of the reviews at the WS6 Store say there may be fit and clamping issues with certain Lids. The SLP looks nice and so is the price, there is also Granatelli and Fast Toys. I don't think I will be changing the MAF so Fast Toys may be out. The SLP pick shows some extra plumbing. Any feedback on these or others would help, thanks.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...Path=235_89_65
Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

So far I've had an SLP and FTP lid. I found the SLP lid to be a much more solid piece all around. Thicker casting, great fit and I was just......... More satisfied. (Giggity?)

The FTP lid is thinner, felt like it was going to break, and doesn't seat well. The 85mm MAF also did not fit into it easily. Had to grind down the lid to make it fit.

The stock MAF fits great in the SLP lid. No worry about breaking anything.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
So far I've had an SLP and FTP lid. I found the SLP lid to be a much more solid piece all around. Thicker casting, great fit and I was just......... More satisfied. (Giggity?)

The FTP lid is thinner, felt like it was going to break, and doesn't seat well. The 85mm MAF also did not fit into it easily. Had to grind down the lid to make it fit.

The stock MAF fits great in the SLP lid. No worry about breaking anything.
yea i have the 98mm FTP lid, my 85mm maf fit right in it. i also launched this thing like 100 ft in the air driving without my hood on and forgot to clamp it down...the thing took it like a champ. i also had a tight fit and it fit a little wierd. the SLP is a nice lid and you only need a bigger lid if you run a FAST intake w/ an 85mm MAF, otherwise the SLP one is cheap and real nice
Old 04-15-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Yeah.. That was my only problem. I needed a bigger lid. The SLP lid is a great piece for a bolt on car. The ID on the lid is 90mm, not bad, but the 98mm lid was needed for the 102 swap. Gonna do a custom 4" stainless setup eventually, Vette type deal with an LT1/FIPK rad cover eventually.

I've heard some stuff on here that said switching to a 98mm lid and 85mm MAF actually picked up a couple ponies though. Less intake restriction, IMO.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-15-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:41 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I still don't get the whole "doesnt seal well, etc"

Anyone own a house? Ever used door weatherstripping? **** works wonders! All you have to do is run the 1/4" or 3/8" inside the lid. How do you guys trust plastic sealing on plastic to begin with? I don't want ANYTHING unfiltered getting to my cylinder walls. PERIOD.

I'm not trying to rant, but the sealing thing shouldn't be an issue as, truth be told, we should ALL be doing this to begin with. Even one that seals well like the SLP. It's just piece of mind. I KNOW mine is sealed and ONLY drawing air throught the filter and that's IT.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

buy what you prefer.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

I am happy with my SLP Lid.Went in with no issues, all should perform better than stock.
Attached Thumbnails Which LID?-10.24.2010-camaro-3.jpg  
Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

i prefer the 98mm lid for a couple reasons.

1. it is a better designed lid for air flow
2. it looks a whole lot better (especially with the bird i put on it)
3. it directly fits the 85mm MAF

oh and the not seal right part just is that putting int on it is a little tight, and you kinda got to snap it in place. getting the 4 tabs to line up and the MAF opening, especially with how thin the lid is, i just though i was gonna break it putting it on. but seeing as i launched this thing 100 feet in the air to only come back with a scratch, i am set with the FTP lid.

now i warn you, the lid is a close fit, and if you have the ram air version lower box (as i did) then you might not be able to fit it under the hood. so be sure to check before putting it on your car. the Z28 hood is the one that seems to be especially prone to rubbing, and not fitting. the firebird does not seem to have problems that much, nor the SS hoods and the WS6 hood
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

^ I cracked my lid trying to get the MAF in there. I, seriously, didn't even push on it. Just barely twisted the Maf into the *snap*... FAK! Superglue fixed it pretty good. That and the hose clamp covers it. Along with the coupler hose.

Originally Posted by dr_whigham

Anyone own a house? Ever used door weatherstripping? **** works wonders! All you have to do is run the 1/4" or 3/8" inside the lid. How do you guys trust plastic sealing on plastic to begin with? I don't want ANYTHING unfiltered getting to my cylinder walls. PERIOD.

I'm not trying to rant, but the sealing thing shouldn't be an issue as, truth be told, we should ALL be doing this to begin with. Even one that seals well like the SLP. It's just piece of mind. I KNOW mine is sealed and ONLY drawing air throught the filter and that's IT.
That's what I used. And the outside of the filters is rubber, so the plastic of the lid "should" be sealing to the rubber of the filter.

I put the foam tape on the sealing surface of the lid. Before, the bottom edges of the lid were hitting pretty much everything which would prevent the lid from sitting down all the way. I sanded the crap out of it to cut about 1/4 - 5/16" off the edges. They don't touch anything now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5mzyfqGXo

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-16-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

slp for me
Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys, Les...
Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I've got the 98mm FTP lid and love it.My 85mm MAF fit in it perfectly with no issues or cracking. Maybe i got lucky or bayer-Z28 got unlucky and got a bad one. As previously stated rubbin may be an issue for ya. I've got a WS6 and it rubs slightly on my hood. I Also have plently of friends running the SLP lids and love it.

Take that what ya will.... Either way you'll be happy with whichever lid you choose, cause they're both better then stock!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

So does all this mean that later on if I get a bigger tb and intake that u will need a bigger lid?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Should get a bigger lid to eliminate as much of a choke point as possible.

But Mine actually doesn't rub.. I was quite surprised at that one.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mines done yesterday
Attached Thumbnails Which LID?-motor.jpg  
Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Time was when an multitude of companies produced lids for the LS1. Nowadays, the pickin's are slim. For a stock MAF, SLP is about it. For larger applications, FTP has them.

People have complained about the fitment of the SLP lid. It's a tight fit, so heat it up and do what you have to do to get it on the MAF. I've installed two, and once it's on, it's on. It's a nice piece and you'll like it.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, my plans just changed. Frost pretty much said not to go with the 85mm. Apparently they max @ around 440hp. I guess I'll be using the stocker.

Any gains from using the 98mm on the stock MAF, or should I just get the regular size?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my plans just changed. Frost pretty much said not to go with the 85mm. Apparently they max @ around 440hp. I guess I'll be using the stocker.

Any gains from using the 98mm on the stock MAF, or should I just get the regular size?
A lot of tuners that cheat fuel into PE may not even realize it happens...

The truck MAF reports a higher frequency than the stocker at identical airflow levels. For cam-only cars spinning 6500 or under (or bolt ons cars) I tend to tell folks to descreen their stock units (do NOT port). Up to 440-450rwhp, an 85mm MAF is ok as well. Past that, TSP's 100mm unit works great. It's less noisy down low than other card style units.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Anyone own a house? Ever used door weatherstripping? **** works wonders! All you have to do is run the 1/4" or 3/8" inside the lid.

WOW I feel like a moron for not thinking of that. Of course I thought of installing it on the outside, but immediately dismissed that since it would make working on the car and replacing the filter a PITA.

Guess I'll keep the ol' SLP lid after all.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My MTI lid fits so poorly that I took it off and put the stocker back on, gaps galore.

Quick Reply: Which LID?