Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worth buying SSRA kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worth buying SSRA kit?

Been looking around at ws6store and saw this:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4141

the super sucker ram air kit.
wondering if anyone has tried it and if so does it help at all? I already have an aftermarket lid(SLP)
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the chris1313 ram air.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jsteele90
go with the chris1313 ram air.

^ what he said.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jsan87

wondering if anyone has tried it and if so does it help at all? I already have an aftermarket lid(SLP)
the ssra seems to be a good kit. i know a few people with them and have seen improvement in there 1/4 times and mph. but those same people has broken the peice that hangs down under the front bumper several times . i like the FastToys Ram Air kit myself ( cause I have one ) It tucks away and no one would know you have it on your car. If you want to keep your a/c , get either one of these kits. But you want to get rid of your a/c then go with the Chris1313 Ram-Air Kit. Good luck
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Launching!

The ssra is made out of polycarbonate and resists heat soak much better than the aluminum Chris 1313 ram air
Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzaku
The ssra is made out of polycarbonate and resists heat soak much better than the aluminum Chris 1313 ram air
dont dog a product till you try it! the chris1313 ram air kit is proven time and time again, with people running this thing in 100+ degree weather. if you dont own it, you have no right to comment on it.

btw, i am getting the chris1313 kit over this one as well next week
Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a ssra on my 98z and have one on my current 01ss. Never broke them. If anyone ever breaks them its their own fault. I cant see breaking one unless your driving around drinking trying to purposly do damage lol.
I like this better than the metal cai kits. It does not hold heat like metal. This ssra also angles AWAY from the condensor which leaves more room for airflow to your cond/rad and in my case my trans cooler also. If I had a ftra or the 1313 (a/c version) I wouldnt be able to do this.
If I were to do it again I would without a doubt get the ssra. Even if I was to get rid of my a/c I would get the ssra designed for without a/c.
As for gains at the track heres my results...https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...oof-works.html
Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chrs1313 has an a/c compatible kit too. I have no firsthand experience with fitment but they do seem to work from reading on here... I am considering the a/c one as I am mainly a streetcar but track occasionally....
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Dont you have to cut the hood latch for the 1313s? Or is that just for the non ac version?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

SSRA is nice. I have one on my Firehawk. I know chris1313 has a nice kit too but thought it was for non A/C only and you had to cut some stuff.

I don't see how you could rip off the SSRA.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Banned

just bought/ installed the Mega Mouth SSRA (non-a/c)
results remain to be seen. so stand by...
Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
dont dog a product till you try it! the chris1313 ram air kit is proven time and time again, with people running this thing in 100+ degree weather. if you dont own it, you have no right to comment on it.

btw, i am getting the chris1313 kit over this one as well next week
I'm not badmouthing on a product, there's physics behind what I'm saying, and what I'm saying are scientific facts.

It's just how these different materials react to heat, plastic is simply a better insulator than aluminum and does not act like a heat sink.

If I was ******* a product, I'd say "The Chris1313 ram air is a overheating sob stay away from it at all costs" without providing any sources whatsoever. But look above, I did not say that, I simply said that the polycarbonate resists heat soak a lot better than aluminum which is completely true as proven by common sense and physics.

And FYI, I have a SSRA and it stays cooler to the touch when compared to my friend's chris1313 ram air which is warm to the touch throughout the scoop when both the cars are idling.

We compared them, and came to a conclusion that it doesn't matter when the cars are moving simply because the incoming air will cool down the aluminum scoop.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzaku

And FYI, I have a SSRA and it stays cooler to the touch when compared to my friend's chris1313 ram air which is warm to the touch throughout the scoop when both the cars are idling.

We compared them, and came to a conclusion that it doesn't matter when the cars are moving simply because the incoming air will cool down the aluminum scoop.
very true there might be slight heat soak at idle...but we all don't race at idle...once moving my iat's which is actually located in my ram air is instantly at ambient temps...

something to spin off the other way is since alumin is a good conductor it cools and heats up faster than plastic...so after idle condition are left and the car is moving the aluminum intake will actually cool faster than the plastic...so it resists being cooler than aluminum...

trust me it is a mute point...look at all the Vic jr and aluminum intake cars...which is directly connected to the heat source the heads and motor...those cars are not down on power...SAM just ran a 8.20 with thier aluminum sheet metal intake...

As for the cutting, only thing that needs to be cut is the bottom of the hood latch, does not affect rigidity at all, also is still 100% functional...the 4 10mm bolts are plenty strong holding it in place...the reason for this is other kits like ftra, ssra keep this portion and it blocks 25-30 percent of your ram air intake, taking away some gains...

here is a results thread, read though it alot of good info and questions asked...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...air-worth.html

here is the ac version

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-install.html

here is the non ac version...biggest ram air you can fit between the radiator and frame support...requires removal or relocating the condensor...same one that is on my car right now since 2005...

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000984

good luck on what ever you decide, shoot me a pm if you have questions

Chris

Last edited by chrs1313; 04-21-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

See that? Its all about what works best for you. Take into consideration if its a track car or if it sees alot of street time. Personally I wouldnt get rid of my hood latch. I took it off before and closed the hood because I was curious about how it would be. IMO its not ridged for someone who drives their car as much as I do. Its just like the arguement of no bumper support vs having one. Depends on what you use the car for. I would rather not hack into the car like that lol. Ill also take a little blockage in the air duct to make room for more air to cond/rad/trans cooler on my 95% street car. Lots of things I would do differently if it were a track car though.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jsan87

The SSRA is proven to work. There have been many testimonials over the years since it was introduced in 2002. Gains of 1-2 miles an hour and .10-.20 reduction of et's at the track.

Choosing a cold air kit is all about choices. They all have their pros and cons.

If you are keeping your AC there are quite a few choices. If you are choosing one that employs using the free ram air mod(FRA) The SSRA is different than others in that it employs a scoop. As noted, the WS6 store sells them. The price is $169. This is less than most other kits. If your worried about hitting the scoop, you can leave it off for daily driving, and then reattach it when you go to the track.

If you have removed your AC then there are just two kits on the market. The SSRA Mega Mouth sells at the WS6 store for $184. It is designed the same way as the original SSRA, except it is much larger, due to more space freed up due to removing the air conditioning condenser.

Both the SSRA and SSRA Mega Mouth are professionally made. They are laser cut and plastic welded for great strength. There are no unsightly exposed rivets or sharp edges. No cutting or drilling on the car is required to install the SSRA's. Install takes about a half hour. And of course each kit comes with detailed directions with pictures.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My last 98 SS saw a solid 2 miles trap speed and .2/10 of a second in the 1/4 mile with just the SSRA. If i have to buy it again i do it.!
Old 04-22-2011, 02:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrs1313- there is only 1.5" between the radiator support and the front of the ac condensor...i made the intake a max effort with those restrictions...if you look at my intake that i have on my car with the ac removed that slot goes from 1.5" to around 3.5"...it is a max effort design for our cars with ac, should flow around 1.5times that of a FTRA or SSRA...havent run the numbers yet but that is in the ball park...

how true is this? has it been proven?

Quick Reply: worth buying SSRA kit?